SiouxSports.com Forum

Timing

Fetch

& I CARE FOR THIS TEAM FAR MORE THAN THE CURRENT MISGUIDED ADMIN.

I have asked before u think because u went to UND ur more important than other fans ?

I don' t know the #s but I'll bet u most season ticket holders for Sioux Hockey are not UND grads

By wanting to keep the "Fighting Sioux" name you don't care more for the team, Athletic Department, and the University.

• Upvote 2

I said once back at the beginning of this to some know it all like u said the Ralph would not make it without UND that im sure a AHL team named Fighting Sioux would fill the Ralph & the majority of us Sioux fans might not miss UND all that much

By wanting to keep the "Fighting Sioux" name you don't care more for the team, Athletic Department, and the University.

try to spin it anyway u want to u like kelly don't really understand the importance & were happy to surrender - how long has that been now & guess what it will never end SIOUX FOREVER

try to spin it anyway u want to u like kelly don't really understand the importance & were happy to surrender - how long has that been now & guess what it will never end SIOUX FOREVER

Never said I like Kelley, let's say the University kept the Fighting Sioux name. There would be no NCAA post season, there would be no conference for the sports outside of hockey. That doesn't help the University get the better coaches in football and basketball, doesn't help get the best recruits to get the men's and women's athletic teams to help make the NCAA tournaments. 

Changing the subject again ?

U got ur way

But the Kelly admin. Is crippled & will never be respected

& it looks like Fighting Sioux will live on - I'm happy why aren't u ?

Kelley didn't retire the name...his boss (SBoHE) retired the name, take it up with them not Kelley.

Perhaps not completely, yet.  But UND is contracted as the primary tenant and there certainly isn't ice time available for an AHL franchise.

UND owns the land that the REA is built on.  The building was built on that property to supply a home for UND hockey.  It was a donation to UND and UND athletics (not to Fighting Sioux Incorporated).  Basketball and volleyball were added later, still on UND property.  UND hockey, as you said, is the primary tenant.  Everything that REA does is meant to support UND hockey and UND athletics.  There is a contract in place for UND to take over the building in the future (the state wanted to make sure the building could support itself and not become a burden on the state budget before accepting the title).  So you are also correct that there is not time available for another hockey program.  It is very simple, but a select few just aren't able to grasp the concept.

Hope the FU faithful don't get the idea to put an AHL team in Fargo and steal the retired nickname.

Pretty sure that's impossible considering und has kept up and continues to hold the rights to the fighting Sioux name and logo.

Man there is some conspiracies on here! Ahl team/Fargo using the fighting Sioux name!

Everyone make their suggestions for the new name?

But unofficially the name Fighting Sioux will live forever.....thank you to the vast majority & Ralph...& like has been said many times before - When are many who believe what u do going to change ur names ? ? ?

I understand your passion, Fetch, but much like the Brooklyn Dodgers, the New York baseball Giants, the Baltimore Colts, the Houston Oilers, the Quebec Nordiques, the Seattle Sonics, the Los Angeles Rams, the Buffalo Braves, the Minnesota North Stars, and countless other teams like them, eventually, people move on.

I understand your passion, Fetch, but much like the Brooklyn Dodgers, the New York baseball Giants, the Baltimore Colts, the Houston Oilers, the Quebec Nordiques, the Seattle Sonics, the Los Angeles Rams, the Buffalo Braves, the Minnesota North Stars, and countless other teams like them, eventually, people move on.

You forgot the Washington Bullets Wizards. 

These are mostly examples of professional teams leaving a town.  I would guess if UND gave Grand Forks the finger and left town, the odds of people moving on would be increased, as there would be no team left here to cheer for.    

These are mostly examples of professional teams leaving a town.  I would guess if UND gave Grand Forks the finger and left town, the odds of people moving on would be increased, as there would be no team left here to cheer for.    

That's why I mentioned the Washington Wizards. That's probably the best example from the pro sports realm (same franchise rebranded). 

The next couple would probably be Baltimore (Ravens) and Houston (Texans), but those were different franchises. 

Then again, the name changes in the college realm are vast. Sure, there are UMass Redmen fans out there, but UMass is now the Minutemen. 

That's why I mentioned the Washington Wizards. That's probably the best example from the pro sports realm (same franchise rebranded). 

I loved the (Leno?) joke from the time -- "The Washington Bullets are concerned that they're name is associated with criminals, so from now on they'll just be called the Bullets".

• Upvote 2

Going back a ways, you have the New York Titans who re-branded as the Jets and the Houston Colt .45's who became the Astros. The Wizards are obviously more recent than those and the New Orleans Hornets to Pelicans and Charlotte Bobcats to Hornets (version 2.0) are both "new."

UND owns the land that the REA is built on. The building was built on that property to supply a home for UND hockey. It was a donation to UND and UND athletics (not to Fighting Sioux Incorporated). Basketball and volleyball were added later, still on UND property. UND hockey, as you said, is the primary tenant. Everything that REA does is meant to support UND hockey and UND athletics. There is a contract in place for UND to take over the building in the future (the state wanted to make sure the building could support itself and not become a burden on the state budget before accepting the title). So you are also correct that there is not time available for another hockey program. It is very simple, but a select few just aren't able to grasp the concept.

The land is leased, and not from the University. I can't remember who exactly, but UND itself owns nothing in the Ralph.

The land is leased, and not from the University. I can't remember who exactly, but UND itself owns nothing in the Ralph.

UND owns the land the REA is on along with everything in front of it from Gateway to 6th Ave except for where the fire station is. I believe they also still own the land where all the condos behind the REA are plus the Wellness Center.
  • Upvote 1

UND owns the land the REA is on along with everything in front of it from Gateway to 6th Ave except for where the fire station is. I believe they also still own the land where all the condos behind the REA are plus the Wellness Center.

And I believe UND takes over full control of the REA by the end of the next decade.