SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. CC - Game 2

AZSIOUX

I think its simply terrific that the last goal of the series was scored by a senior, Connor Gaarder, who somehow finds a way to elevate his game when we really need it.    The guy is just fantastic.

No question that he puts himself in the right spot at the right time.   He's working his role and making goals happen.  I see Gaarder and trace him back through a long line of Sioux players...Lameroux, Watson, Ulmer, Romaniuk, Jackson, etc., etc., who work their tail off in NCAA hockey for the green team.  He's a stud, and I'll leave it at that.

A couple quick thoughts about tonight's game.

1) They have to find a way to play better defensively in their own zone.  At times, they let CC maneuver the puck freely without much energy or resistance.  That can't happen in the one-and-done games.

2) This team is indeed deep.  We never know who is going to step up, and other teams can't key on anyone in particular.  That is a major strength.  Even though Mark Mac is gone, & Parks and Cags have not been as visible lately, the team is still finding ways to win.  That play from Pogo to Gords was top notch hockey.

Played pretty decent created a lot of chances Marble was better for CC tonight. Limited CC's scoring chances and kept them to the outside pretty well aside from a couple 3 minute or so lapses but those lapses are the kinds of things that can end your season in a one and done scenario so hopefully we can clean that up. Some real nice goals from the Sioux tonight all 3 set up because of great assists the first one by N.Schmaltz and Parks, then Mattson after a nice switch play with Pogo, and then Pogo. Was there any doubt Gaarder would finish on the game winner in that scenario it is what he does.

Depth has less importance in post season play, with the TV timeouts.

In terms of needing a 4th line, yes.  In terms of adjusting to cover an injured player (or one ejected for some reason) depth is huge,

This team has depth like few others I've seen.  Just look at the point spread across the players, and the points notched by the defense.  Really impressive.

All of our lines can handle top lines from other teams.  This depth gives us the ability to stay strong even into OT in the NCAA's. 

(My green-glassed opinion)

In terms of needing a 4th line, yes. In terms of adjusting to cover an injured player (or one ejected for some reason) depth is huge,

This team has depth like few others I've seen. Just look at the point spread across the players, and the points notched by the defense. Really impressive.

All of our lines can handle top lines from other teams. This depth gives us the ability to stay strong even into OT in the NCAA's.

(My green-glassed opinion)

We have last change all next weekend, and if things go our way, last change the rest of the year.

I think its simply terrific that the last goal of the series was scored by a senior, Connor Gaarder, who somehow finds a way to elevate his game when we really need it.    The guy is just fantastic.

And we wouldn't have had him if JT Miller came here.

• Upvote 1

And we wouldn't have had him if JT Miller came here.

No offense to Mr. Gaarder but other than a Gofer everybody mocks Edina hockey/youth as privileged/spoiled but he's way outside the stereotypical mold (probably fabricated/exaggerated I have a hunch but maybe a bit of truth) of the image of such.  A great college hockey player certainly not, future NHL player no, but he's a solid blue-collar, valuable college hockey player who stays 4 years and gets who improves each season and is more valued each year/  He's the type of players you need (along with a few blue chippers) to be a top ranked college team.  So glad he's a Sioux!