SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU/SDSU

niouxsiouxfan

So PSU couldn't move to play with Portland? EWU with Gonzaga or SUU with BYU? Maybe it's because the BSC isn't known for having a thousand affiliate members and prefer full time members.

Yeah bro I can't imagine a works where BYU would associate with SUU. I imagine Gonzaga has little interest in playing with EWU. Portland....no idea I've never even heard of them.

Yeah bro I can't imagine a works where BYU would associate with SUU. I imagine Gonzaga has little interest in playing with EWU. Portland....no idea I've never even heard of them.

Understandable, as they certainly don't have the national profile of, say, IUPUI or IPFW ...

This is why the Summit is called the "Slummit" by some on here (including me).  And no amount of spin can change that.

Nothing can change that? In your small mind perhaps. But if you haven't noticed, the Summit League is not the same conference it was when the Bison joined. It is fast becoming a very good Mid-Major conference. It has become a much more geographically centered conference (in UND's traditional recruiting area), with  a number of traditional rivalries, good and generally improving facilities pretty much across the board, a great venue for its men's and women's basketball tournaments, and a level of interest and excitement that is building every year. Things are looking great for the Summit League.

I don't necessarily think having UND in the Summit would be good for NDSU, but there is little doubt that the addition of UND would be a win for both UND, and the Summit League as a whole.

Nothing can change that? In your small mind perhaps. But if you haven't noticed, the Summit League is not the same conference it was when the Bison joined. It is fast becoming a very good Mid-Major conference. It has become a much more geographically centered conference (in UND's traditional recruiting area), with  a number of traditional rivalries, good and generally improving facilities pretty much across the board, a great venue for its men's and women's basketball tournaments, and a level of interest and excitement that is building every year. Things are looking great for the Summit League.

I don't necessarily think having UND in the Summit would be good for NDSU, but there is little doubt that the addition of UND would be a win for both UND, and the Summit League as a whole.

Nice cheap shot.  Is that how you always debate people?

I just cannot get excited about a league full of schools like IUPUI and IPFW.

UND didn't receive an invite because they cancelled the Summit League's visit.  In the history of the Summit League, there has not been a single instance where they haven't extended an invite after a campus visit.  That might not normally carry a lot of weight, but when it comes from a league that has had 30 different members in its 33 year history (not even counting affiliate members), it is pretty obvious that UND was going to get one and made a decision between the two.

Granted, a bid to the Summit was a foregone conclusion for UND had they not cancelled the site visit. Nevertheless, it wasn't really a decision between the Summit and the Big Sky. Without a home for football (i.e. the MVFC) the Summit wasn't a viable option for UND.

With a MVFC bid in hand, UND would have, or at least should have, chosen Summit/MFVC in a heartbeat.

Nice cheap shot.  Is that how you always debate people?

I just cannot get excited about a league full of schools like IUPUI and IPFW.

What cheap shot are you referring to? If you mean the "small mind" comment, only a small mind would refuse to see that the current Summit ain't the old MidCon. Nevertheless, I apologize if my comments offended you.

BTW - take a look at the institutional profiles of the two Indiana-Purdue schools.  IUPUI, for instance, has twice as many students, a larger endowment, and a much more highly regarded graduate school than UND. 

Granted, a bid to the Summit was a foregone conclusion for UND had they not cancelled the site visit. Nevertheless, it wasn't really a decision between the Summit and the Big Sky. Without a home for football (i.e. the MVFC) the Summit wasn't a viable option for UND.

I, and everyone else here, is well aware, it's your slow friend you have to explain it to.  Hopefully he understands it better than the difference between "alumnus" and "alumni".

I, and everyone else here, is well aware, it's your slow friend you have to explain it to.  Hopefully he understands it better than the difference between "alumnus" and "alumni".

The problem is that UND fans tend to present the story as UND having chosen the Big Sky over the Summit because they preferred it to the Summit. That is, on its face, misleading or outright false.

The problem is that UND fans tend to present the story as UND having chosen the Big Sky over the Summit because they preferred it to the Summit. That is, on its face, misleading or outright false.

No, we like to point out that NDSU was turned down for Big Sky membership not once, but twice, and now they act like it's a bad conference and that UND shouldn't have joined it.  Sour grapes anyone?

Nothing can change that? In your small mind perhaps. But if you haven't noticed, the Summit League is not the same conference it was when the Bison joined. It is fast becoming a very good Mid-Major conference. It has become a much more geographically centered conference (in UND's traditional recruiting area), with a number of traditional rivalries, good and generally improving facilities pretty much across the board, a great venue for its men's and women's basketball tournaments, and a level of interest and excitement that is building every year. Things are looking great for the Summit League.

I don't necessarily think having UND in the Summit would be good for NDSU, but there is little doubt that the addition of UND would be a win for both UND, and the Summit League as a whole.

Can't say I disagree with much of this other than classifying the Summit as a mid-major. Both the Summit and Big Sky would be classified as low-majors. Semantics I guess.

The problem is that UND fans tend to present the story as UND having chosen the Big Sky over the Summit because they preferred it to the Summit. That is, on its face, misleading or outright false.

Of course the Big Sky was preferred to the Summit. Not sure if you're aware, but the Summit doesn't offer football. Without a coinciding football conference offer, the Summit was a worthless option for UND.

Furthermore, why does what a non rival fan thinks about conferences, bother you enough to whine about it on their fan forum?

Not only would UND have chosen the Big Sky over the Summit so would have FU - if they would have been invited. To say that FU was not interested in the Big Sky is misleading or outright false. 

It's true that UND never had the opportunity to compare the Summit to a non-football Big Sky because, well, Big Sky actually has football.  If the MVFC had invited UND at the same time as the Summit (like what happened with USD), or if the Big Sky had invited UND for everything except football, then there would have been the comparison you're talking about.  But neither happened.  And the Big Sky with football is vastly superior for UND than the Summit.  There's just no other sane way to look at it.  And the same is true now, unless and until the MVFC is willing to accept UND, there is no decision to make.  It doesn't matter how good the Summit gets or how big their conference tournaments gets.  The Summit is worthless for UND unless it comes with a home for football.

Maybe if an eastern team or two leaves the MVFC, then this discussion might become interesting.

No, we like to point out that NDSU was turned down for Big Sky membership not once, but twice, and now they act like it's a bad conference and that UND shouldn't have joined it.  Sour grapes anyone?

You know, I have never heard an NDSU fan deny that NDSU wanted in the Big Sky in the worst way. Fortunately, the Big Sky turned us down and things have worked out much better in Summit/MVFC. Of course had NDSU been accepted into the Big Sky, the Summit would not now be any better than the old MidCon. So, I guess it worked out well for everyone...well everyone except UND, which is stuck on an island with its nearest away games over 800 miles away.

You know, I have never heard an NDSU fan deny that NDSU wanted in the Big Sky in the worst way. Fortunately, the Big Sky turned us down and things have worked out much better in Summit/MVFC. Of course had NDSU been accepted into the Big Sky, the Summit would not now be any better than the old MidCon. So, I guess it worked out well for everyone...well everyone except UND, which is stuck on an island with its nearest away games over 800 miles away.

I love how Bison fans bring up travel, because that was never an issue while trying to get into the Big Sky, or MAC or WAC or Sun Belt or Big 12..

Not only would UND have chosen the Big Sky over the Summit so would have FU - if they would have been invited. To say that FU was not interested in the Big Sky is misleading or outright false. 

Yes, it would be false, if anyone had said that.

I love how Bison fans bring up travel, because that was never an issue while trying to get into the Big Sky, or MAC or WAC or Sun Belt or Big 12..

Huh? It certainly was an issue at the time NDSU was trying to get into the Big Sky. But, similar to UND, we needed a home for all of our sports and the BSC seemed to be the best shot. As I said before, NDSU was fortunate that Big Sky turned it down. Also, when did NDSU try to get into any of those other conferences?

UND didn't receive an invite because they cancelled the Summit League's visit.  In the history of the Summit League, there has not been a single instance where they haven't extended an invite after a campus visit.  That might not normally carry a lot of weight, but when it comes from a league that has had 30 different members in its 33 year history (not even counting affiliate members), it is pretty obvious that UND was going to get one and made a decision between the two.

The SL is similar in resemblance to the Great West conference...just a stepping stone and easy conference to help badgered egos grow...

Huh? It certainly was an issue at the time NDSU was trying to get into the Big Sky. But, similar to UND, we needed a home for all of our sports and the BSC seemed to be the best shot. As I said before, NDSU was fortunate that Big Sky turned it down. Also, when did NDSU try to get into any of those other conferences?

There were at least a few inquiries to the MVC, but they don't want your basketball.

When the Big Sky goes FBS, bison fans will be squealing to go there again.

The Slummit will be skewered when all is said and done.