SiouxSports.com Forum

Twins ?

Fetch

4 hours ago, Kab said:

Is it really necessary to pull starting pitchers after a certain number of pitches or innings?

managers outguess themselves putting all these pitchers in, stick with what got you there 

Pablo threw 94 pitches last night and was starting to give up hard contact towards the end. Pulling him from the game was not the problem.

2 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Twins have come back to earth losing their second in a row to Seattle 8-7 today 

Wondering if something is wrong with Duran?  I would have 100% used him last night in the 9th inning with the bleeding needing to be stopped.

Kudos to Winder for eating up innings today.  Off day tomorrow means bullpen should be fresh Friday. 

25 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Again.  If the Twins don't win THIS division, you need to clean the whole house.

This is karma towards me years ago hating that Tom Kelly was managing the team the way he was during the lean years after the 91 series victory.  What I wouldn't give now for a manager like him.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

This is karma towards me years ago hating that Tom Kelly was managing the team the way he was during the lean years after the 91 series victory.  What I wouldn't give now for a manager like him.  

Kelly had nothing to work with in the post 1991 era. I honestly don't know if he could win a title with this team or not. The eras are so different.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Kelly had nothing to work with in the post 1991 era. I honestly don't know if he could win a title with this team or not. The eras are so different.

I've wondered about this, what exactly happened between 1992 and 2000 that caused such a downfall?  

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I've wondered about this, what exactly happened between 1992 and 2000 that caused such a downfall?  

Take a look at the rosters some of those years, down right scary.

It did help them to be able to draft some really good players that helped turn the franchise around.

It 100% wasn't on TK, and I was a dumb kid for thinking he could do more with what he had those years.  Players were held accountable then.  

Just now, Wilbur said:

Take a look at the rosters some of those years, down right scary.

It did help them to be able to draft some really good players that helped turn the franchise around.

It 100% wasn't on TK, and I was a dumb kid for thinking he could do more with what he had those years.  Players were held accountable then.  

So guessing there was a lot of misses in scouting while they won their 2 world series or did the core just fall apart that quickly after 91?

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

When a MLB franchise slides, start first by looking at their minor league system. 

I found a book I bought many years ago that goes into some history on the Minnesota Twins and they got into that part.  Lots of people the scouting department though would pan out didn't and the ones who did, just had some unfoutunate luck and didn't last.  

11 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So guessing there was a lot of misses in scouting while they won their 2 world series or did the core just fall apart that quickly after 91?

After the 92 season things started to head south.  They won 90 games that year, but pre wild card they didn't make the postseason.  The 93 season their starting pitching took a bit of a dip.  Then again, you had a young Eddie Guardado in the starting rotation.  1994 they were roughly .500 before the strike ended things, but that was it for Andy MacPhail (RIP Kirby Puckett's baseball career) and in comes Terry Ryan.  Pitching wise other than Brad Radke, you just didn't have enough starting pitching the next few years.  They even tried Rick Aguilera as a starter one of those years.  After 92, it took until 2001 for TK to get the team above .500 with the likes of A.J., Hunter, Jacque Jones, Koskie, Mientkiewicz, Guzman, starting to figure out the major leagues a bit which many of them credited TK for their success.  

I'll say it again, the job that TK did getting that group to where they were before Gardy took over in 2002 was master class.  Sweet Lou Piniella won the Manager of the year award in 2001, but the baseball writers got it wrong that year.  The Rocco years are Karma for me not seeing what TK was doing with the hand he was dealt.      

Guy hits a 102 mph fastball from Duran out of the park.  Man, are these guys good.  Twins win, Guardians get no hit.  Two game lead in August, things could be worse.  

Brooks Lee is absolutely killing the ball in AA.  Another left handed bat with some pop and promise.