SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameyear Thread

geaux_sioux

Don't you ever get sick of being a negative nelly, I'm sure the nfl scout has a better eye for talent and potential than you, or am I off base on that one? You are running down one of your own board members nephew, does it make you feel good?

Don't you ever get sick of being a negative nelly, I'm sure the nfl scout has a better eye for talent and potential than you, or am I off base on that one? You are running down one of your own board members nephew, does it make you feel good?

No worries here. Pretty damn cool a scout thinks that highly of him though. He just wants another ring. That is all he cares about.

I'm saying Bison fans gushed over how great Jensen was even saying the best ever, and how he can make it to the next level, was the 32 teams in the NFL wrong about him? Miami had him and cut him twice in favor of a guy from a bottom feeder UNC team. Wentz has played a full one seson as a starter and yet he is the next Flacco? I guess that would have made Jensen the next Montana or Manning going into the draft his senior year.

Actually many NDSU fans wished Wentz had gotten the starting nod over Jensen, They would have had a much better offense. However, how do you bench a QB that just won a National title? 

Wentz is certainly no Molberg or Studsrud, but I am glad NDSU has him. 

Actually many NDSU fans wished Wentz had gotten the starting nod over Jensen, They would have had a much better offense. However, how do you bench a QB that just won a National title? 

And yet Bohl tried really hard to get Mollberg. That's the way recruiting goes.

No. Oregon flops every year

I guess we need to define "powerhouse" then. If winning a natty is all that defines a powerhouse program then you're right I guess (assuming by your post that "flopping" means not ending up #1/natty at end of season?). If powerhouse means being a top program year-in, year-out then I don't call that flopping. I ain't no niche sport fan but isn't ndsu rasslin' considered a top-program (or at least it was until they left D-2 to go D-1 maybe?) but if they don't win a natty they're flopping? Hard to argue when you can't define the parameters. Agree to disagree I guess.

I think ndsu will move the ball pretty well.

I think und still has trouble moving the ball.

I'll take ndsu by 3-5 touchdowns.

You know, I'm really not disagreeing with your assessment on the outcome (I'd rather give Bubba another year or two longer to build the his team, thx Mussman) but have the Fighting Sioux ever lost in Fargodome? Hopefully it continues to be a good luck place for us although it will no doubt be a stiff test and take a perfect game to come out with the win against a great ndsu 1-AA ftbl program.

I think the game will be a lot closer than what people are thinking.

As for a true prediction.... well ask me again in 6 months.  Way too many things can happen between now and September than can impact seasons for both squads in a positive and negative light.

Jensen earned his starting role and was a great FCS QB. Wentz has earned his starting role and is a great FCS QB. What NDSU fans wanted is irrelevant. No one can say if the offense would have been better with him. I doubt it. The coaches play the guys they think give them the best chance to win. I think it is accurate to say they probably would have won with him at QB but they won it anyway.

Wentz had a great year. He will get a shot to play in the NFL. You can't fairly compare him with Mollberg or Studsrud because he had such a strong supporting cast. If Mollberg is healthy and has an oline that can protect him I'll take him any day. It's not fair to comment on Studsrud yet.

. If Mollberg is healthy and has an oline that can protect him I'll take him any day. It's not fair to comment on Studsrud yet.

I would take Wentz over Mollberg any day.   Heck, a lot of days I'd even take Bartles over Mollberg.    I really wish we had pursued Wentz more at the time.

I would take Wentz over Mollberg any day.   Heck, a lot of days I'd even take Bartles over Mollberg.    I really wish we had pursued Wentz more at the time.

I didn't say I would take one over the other. I said I'd take Mollberg any day if he is healthy. I didn't get to see Wentz play as a freshman and sophomore with an oline that was barely a speed bump. Didn't know we didn't go after Wentz. I don't watch the AC. I don't know who I would take if both were healthy with great supporting cast. I know Mollberg has a big time arm and is a great athlete. He can make all of the throws and is a tough kid. I believe same can be said about Wentz. Mollberg didn't complain or blame anyone else when things didn't go well. He came to UND with the idea he would help turn this program around. He passed up a chance to play at the AC so we don't know if he would be playing there or not had he gone there. I know he can also be a great FCS QB. I know Wentz won't be transferring so if you want him as your QB you are wearing the wrong colors. As bad as we have been the last couple of years, I don't believe you can judge any of our QBs fairly. I guess we will see. As the team gets better I think you may be surprised at how much better our QBs will seem.

• Upvote 1

Didn't they rave about Brock Jensen and yet he got cut in favor of the QB from Northern Colorado. Jensen isn't on any NFL roster, nor CFL either. I wouldn't put too much stock on what that scout said.

No, no one on the planet thought that Jensen was anywhere near what they now say about Wentz. Some scouts thought he had potential, but very few thought he would be drafted, much less in the first round.

Brock was a great FCS quarterback, but he didn't have even close to the size, arm strength, and athleticism that Wentz has.

• Upvote 1

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we will have a tough time scoring. This is not gonna be a game that the Turd take lightly.

30-7 bad guys.

Yes a lot can happen in the next few months, but not enough for a UND W.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we will have a tough time scoring. This is not gonna be a game that the Turd take lightly.

30-7 bad guys.

Yes a lot can happen in the next few months, but not enough for a UND W.

I'm not making any calls until after the WY game.   We'll see how the team looks there and then take a stab.   One game at a time, my boy, one game at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

So Hammer was stroking Kliman for being at the UND hockey game......isn't Kliman just reaching out to a portion of his fan base??

Agree. Half of the UND hockey fans in Scheels Arena are NDSU football fans.....

Dispute it if you want, it's just the unfortunate truth.

Glad Bubba is about to bring a much needed DI winning football program to UND.

Bubba was at the game tonight. He said he was busy analyzing practice film on Friday so couldn't make it to the Quinny game. I thought that was kinda funny, shows his level of commitment.

Just wondering what you base this on - personal opinion - fine. There is a difference between someone saying "Yah they're a ND school so I think it's good for the state" and saying they are an SU football fan. I highly doubt that 50% of rabid UND fans hold the same level of passion for SU. 

• Upvote 2

Just wondering what you base this on - personal opinion - fine. There is a difference between someone saying "Yah they're a ND school so I think it's good for the state" and saying they are an SU football fan. I highly doubt that 50% of rabid UND fans hold the same level of passion for SU.

Go around the REA during a game and ask the heavy spenders (suites and bar seats) if they are NDSU football fans and/or not UND football fans? The number is quite scary.

Where I sit in the Ralph, the entire row consists of self-proclaimed "UND hockey and NDSU football fans".

The good news is sustained success, in the near future, of UND football would go a long way to change that.

Bubba was at the game tonight. He said he was busy analyzing practice film on Friday so couldn't make it to the Quinny game. I thought that was kinda funny, shows his level of commitment.

Had a chance to say hi to him as well.  Sounded very excited about the first two practices.

Agree. Half of the UND hockey fans in Scheels Arena are NDSU football fans.

Ive think youve lost it son.

Those were the utmost die hard UND fans around. There was only two ways to get tickets. Be a UND champions member or wait outside scheels arena since 430 am like me and that was for only 150 out of 5,000.