SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (1-0) @ Montana (1-0) (1/3)

SWSiouxMN

Got destroyed on the boards and got outscored by 20+ on the inside.  DeReon, Hooker and Antwi had very good games and once again Nash did not show up.   Shields had a good game Thursday but once again looked so weak tonight and scored 0.  I realize he was in foul trouble but at 7' had no impact at all when he was in.

Got destroyed on the boards and got outscored by 20+ on the inside. DeReon, Hooker and Antwi had very good games and once again Nash did not show up. Shields had a good game Thursday but once again looked so weak tonight and scored 0. I realize he was in foul trouble but at 7' had no impact at all when he was in.

Believe you mean Shanks.

What's the deal with Coleman? It looks like he didn't play at all last night. Also, it appears Benton hasn't played since the Dickinson St. game. Is he injured, or has it just been coach's decision?

This entire starting lineup and substitutions is goofy.  Starting 3 point guards all 6' of under and Nash as the 4 that doesn't know how to box out and it doesn't matter who you start at the 5.  We will get out rebounded horribly every game and that will be the difference in several games this year that will cost us.  Time to try something different and don't start 3 point guards with only one sub being Antwi.  Maybe go big with Nash at the 3 and Calc at the 4 and Shanks at the 5, who knows or something like this.  Coleman needs time and Hobaugh has proven he deserves to be in.  Please tell me what happened to Crandall?  I thought he was playing great in pre season and then suddenly nothing about him.  If he is that good there is something more than we are red shirting him.  Is it grades or and undisclosed matter?  We didn't red shirt Shields or Cashman and all they are doing know is watching from the front row.

This entire starting lineup and substitutions is goofy.  Starting 3 point guards all 6' of under and Nash as the 4 that doesn't know how to box out and it doesn't matter who you start at the 5.  We will get out rebounded horribly every game and that will be the difference in several games this year that will cost us.  Time to try something different and don't start 3 point guards with only one sub being Antwi.  Maybe go big with Nash at the 3 and Calc at the 4 and Shanks at the 5, who knows or something like this.  Coleman needs time and Hobaugh has proven he deserves to be in.  Please tell me what happened to Crandall?  I thought he was playing great in pre season and then suddenly nothing about him.  If he is that good there is something more than we are red shirting him.  Is it grades or and undisclosed matter?  We didn't red shirt Shields or Cashman and all they are doing know is watching from the front row. 

If you start both Calc or Shanks, at least one of them ends up having to most likely guard an athletic 6-4 to 6-6 kid that can shoot or drive by them if they play tight defense. What you lose by giving up easy points you won't gain back with your bigs very limited offensive ability. 

Need to get back to the team ball we played early in the year vs. SDSU. Nash has to do more than camp out at the 3 pt. line. Drive, mid range jumpers, anything besides stand around.

Frustrating thing right now is we do nothing to force another teams bigs to play D. They score on offense and run down the court and stand either under the hoop or at the three point line.

Also I feel that Cashman needs minutes. If we aren't redshirting him, don't waste this season.

I think it seems quite obvious that the staff doesn't intend on keeping Shields in the program . Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense to have pulled his redshirt.

I agree it doesn't make sense why they would have pulled his redshirt but I don't think that means they don't intend to keep him in the program. If they really thought that, he would be gone already.

I agree it doesn't make sense why they would have pulled his redshirt but I don't think that means they don't intend to keep him in the program. If they really thought that, he would be gone already.

Is anyone sure it was the staff's decision to pull his redshirt?

Put Hobaugh in the starting lineup, put De Rouen or Tyler in the 2nd unit, time to send a message to Nash.  If I was Jones, I'd bench him and start Calc at the 4 for the next game

Hooker

De Rouen

Hobaugh

Calc

Salmonson/Shanks

send a message for 3 key home games.

Long term

Hooker

De Rouen

Hobaugh

Nash (once he gets his head straight)

Shanks (he will overtake Salmonson)

This team can't rebound. That element of BB is not a skill as much as it is desire and effort... both of which this team lacks from top to bottom IMO.

Last year when UND had all their players back as seniors, they finished the season -2 in rebounding margin.  This year they are -4.  Getting beat on the boards is not an experience thing.  

What's the deal with Coleman? It looks like he didn't play at all last night. Also, it appears Benton hasn't played since the Dickinson St. game. Is he injured, or has it just been coach's decision?

Last night on the radio broadcast- it was mentioned that Coleman although dressed had been suffering flu like symptoms.  In addition to that it was also mentioned that Nash apparently had a knee repaired over the summer- and it seems to have flared up again causing him discomfort, which has forced him to miss practices.   And continuing with the trend it was also mentioned the De Rouen had some serious back issues that had been hampering him...but it seems that he was able to overcome that, as he had what was a fairly solid game in the loss.

De Rouen was 0 0 5 against Montana then put up season high against Montana State - sporatic but at least you can see what he can do. After watching both games on Big Sky it's obvious this team has some great individual talent but they have some jelling to do - lots of mid-conference schools would love to have a 7 foot freshman who appears to have some ability that can be developed. 

Need to get back to the team ball we played early in the year vs. SDSU. Nash has to do more than camp out at the 3 pt. line. Drive, mid range jumpers, anything besides stand around.

Frustrating thing right now is we do nothing to force another teams bigs to play D. They score on offense and run down the court and stand either under the hoop or at the three point line.

Also I feel that Cashman needs minutes. If we aren't redshirting him, don't waste this season.

Any mention of Crandall?  Somebody has got to know why he is not playing based on how well he did in pre-season.