SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-15 HS hockey season

sioux rube

The 4-2 regulation loss just wasn't enough.

I thought about that as well...almost resigned to the fact that you're going to lose with less than 40 seconds left...only to get that hope restored for a few more minutes. Hermantown blew that 2 on 1 in OT too...this one's gonna sting.

Remind anyone else of the 2001 NCAA final?

Tweten!!! EGF wins 5-4 hats off to those kids for resilience!

Quite a feat for EGF. Maybe its time to put EGF among the NW elites like Warroad and Roseau.

What's the secret to EGFs success? If GF schools put out talent like EGF does, they would never lose a ND game.

Quite a feat for EGF. Maybe its time to put EGF among the NW elites like Warroad and Roseau.

What's the secret to EGFs success? If GF schools put out talent like EGF does, they would never lose a ND game.

Lately, there have been so many kids with UND hockey connections playing at EGF--Poolman, Ausmus, Eades, Bowen, the Lovens, etc. Not sure we'll see a run like that again anytime soon, but who knows? I think the allure of MN high school hockey compared to ND definitely helps EGF attract people. I assume it's been the same way with Moorhead compared to Fargo for years.

That wasn't my main point, that was a secondary point. My main point was that the rest of the state would catch up to the GF schools, and they have. The reason why my secondary point did not come true is due to the fact that Davies High School came along and took 75% of the hockey players on the south end of Fargo. If Davies still did not exist to this day it is very likely that South would have won a few more titles since their last one in 2006. Of course that is purely theoretical, and as with anything else that is theoretical it can't be proven or disproven... but what we do know is that the last five years before the split happened the Fargo Flyers won four state championships at the Bantam A level. It isn't too difficult to connect the dots on that one to speculate as to what would have happened if Davies didn't come along. But I'm glad it happened because now twice as many kids have an opportunity to play varsity hockey on the south end of town. I do not see another Fargo school winning a state title any time soon, and that's okay. I would much rather see more kids get a chance to play than to see Fargo schools win state championships.

Now, back to the main point... the two GF schools have started to win state championships much less frequently than they used to, just as I said they would. I was right, and there are some incredibly stubborn people here who are refusing to eat the big plate of crow that they earned. Rather than man up and admit how wrong they were, they're deflecting from the main point and going on major spin cycle. Too funny!!! :lol:

To set the record straight...

GF has been in the state championship game 19 out of the last 20 years

GF Central  was 20-2 vs ND teams outside of Grand Forks this year

GF Red River was 17-4 vs ND teams outside of Grand Forks this year

GF Red River JV hasn't lost in 2 years and Centrals has a only lost a couple to ND schools

Last years state A Bantam championship game was GF vs GF, the B1 was GF vs GF, and the B was GF vs GF

2013 state A Bantam championship game was GF vs GF

GF went to a AA bantam team this year because there wasn't good enough competition for them in ND

Tomorrows Pew Wee Championship is GF vs GF

Squirt A level is dominated by GF in ND ...it's not even close.

Dave K. your prediction of the fall of GF hockey is greatly exaggerated!

Speaking of "close to home," a GPL'er suggested that EGF is pretty much 50/50 in terms of support for UND and Minnesota. Truth or fiction?

No, but for town it may be closer than many will admit.  Oddly enough most hockey players don't show allegiance.  Scary thing is the amount of FU gear.  

One thing about todays game was that Hermantown got EGF'd.  Lots scoring opportunities and they couldn't hit the net.  Story of EGF year and just look at the second period where once 2-2 EGF dominated play and had one shot in about 10 minutes to show for it until they scored.