SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-15 HS hockey season

sioux rube

No, but for town it may be closer than many will admit.  Oddly enough most hockey players don't show allegiance.  Scary thing is the amount of FU gear.  

One thing about todays game was that Hermantown got EGF'd.  Lots scoring opportunities and they couldn't hit the net.  Story of EGF year and just look at the second period where once 2-2 EGF dominated play and had one shot in about 10 minutes to show for it until they scored.

Given all the connections between current and recent graduate EGF high school players and UND, that would be bizarre if true.

I don't doubt there's a certain segment of the long-time EGF population that resents Grand Forks, and by extension North Dakota and possibly even UND. However, what's the ratio of UND to UM grads in EGF? 20 to 1? 50 to 1? Maybe even higher? And how many EGF kids have ever played at UM in hockey? Any? None that I'm aware of. But I do remember Mishler, Bowen, Riendeau, Tyler Palmiscno, etc. Not to mention athletes in other sports such as Vonesh, Zeller, Perkins, Lueck, Brekke, etc.

The reality is that unless somebody is a UM grad living in EGF, the fact that there are two EGF grads playing at UND, with another on the way, plus one on the women's team, should be enough to prefer UND over the Gophers.

While we're on the subject of high school hockey, I can't recall the game or the player, but Lou Nanne dropped a line on an uncommitted prospect something to the effect of how good the kid would look in a Gopher jersey. I'm no NCAA rules expert, but, given his connections with the 'U,' isn't that a bit of a no-no?

Given all the connections between current and recent graduate EGF high school players and UND, that would be bizarre if true.

I don't doubt there's a certain segment of the long-time EGF population that resents Grand Forks, and by extension North Dakota and possibly even UND. However, what's the ratio of UND to UM grads in EGF? 20 to 1? 50 to 1? Maybe even higher? And how many EGF kids have ever played at UM in hockey? Any? None that I'm aware of. But I do remember Mishler, Bowen, Riendeau, Tyler Palmiscno, etc. Not to mention athletes in other sports such as Vonesh, Zeller, Perkins, Lueck, Brekke, etc.

The reality is that unless somebody is a UM grad living in EGF, the fact that there are two EGF grads playing at UND, with another on the way, plus one on the women's team, should be enough to prefer UND over the Gophers.

Craig Mack -- '83 EGF grad played for Gophers

• Upvote 1

While we're on the subject of high school hockey, I can't recall the game or the player, but Lou Nanne dropped a line on an uncommitted prospect something to the effect of how good the kid would look in a Gopher jersey. I'm no NCAA rules expert, but, given his connections with the 'U,' isn't that a bit of a no-no?

Only if he speaks to and tries to influence the kid directly...anyone can state an opinion...even if they are the color guy on TV.

I'm also not sure if Louie is still connected enough to the U for it to be out of bounds...I mean alumni call recruits all the time as hockey family "friends"

• Upvote 1

Anybody dare check out the new section alignments on the Minnesota side for the next 2 years.  Interesting sections to say the least (it was a start from scratch year)

I think they make sense...I don't think anyone is getting a sandbag job...metro sections are pretty tough

Anybody dare check out the new section alignments on the Minnesota side for the next 2 years.  Interesting sections to say the least (it was a start from scratch year)

I checked them out and thought most made sense. I'm not a big fan of Rogers and St.Michael Albertville being in 8AA but there weren't all that many teams to pick from an put into 8AA I guess. I imagine there will still be some moving around with some teams dropping co-ops to be able to move back down to A.

Only if he speaks to and tries to influence the kid directly...anyone can state an opinion...even if they are the color guy on TV.

I'm also not sure if Louie is still connected enough to the U for it to be out of bounds...I mean alumni call recruits all the time as hockey family "friends"

I don't know the rules either but Lou Nanne is definitely very connected to the U of M.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/blog/sports-business/2013/12/lou-nanne-gophers-fundraising-campaign.html 

Lou Nanne—a Minnesota Gopher’s Athletic Hall of Famer and senior managing director at Minneapolis-based RBC Global Asset Management—has been tasked with raising funds to upgrade University of Minnesota sports facilities.

The school recently announced that Nanne will lead fundraising efforts for a $190 million plan to build new Gopher football and basketball practice facilities, a “student-athlete academic and counseling center, nutrition and training tables, Olympic sports facilities, and other training and support needs for the University’s athletic programs.”

I know with coaches they can't talk about specific recruits until they sign an NLI but I'm not sure on boosters. I do believe Lou is still working on the fundraising project for new facilities so he is still pretty closely related to the university. I think Clymer said something similar about the Aamodt kid from Hermantown. I can't remember exactly what he said but I thought it was something about giving Lucia his phone number and telling him to call this kid.

I am an EGF guy originally and there are a lot of Gopher fans there.  A lot of it goes back to the 1970s and 1980s when the general  consensus was that Gino ignored Section 8 and instead had mostly Canadian players.  I remember a jamboree or Section tourney at EGF in late 70's and supposedly every WCHA coaching staff had someone there to watch except UND.   Whether or not it was 100% true,  it was a popular story in EGF at that time.  Even though 40 years have passed many still hold onto things like that.

My mother-in-law cheers for UM in hockey even though she had a son-in-law play fb at UND and three grandchildren go to school there and has zero ties to UM.  She knows the families of the current UND hockey players from EGF and also Dixon Bowen who has committed.    There is something to be said for loyalty and old allegiances die hard.

A bunch of my hockey connected friends in EGF have started to cheer for UND over UM in the last 10 years or so as more EGF kids have played there.

UND always had a Roseau connection- Broten broke that tradition.  Lundbohm and Fabian seem to have reignited it.

Warroad was usually split between UND and UMN

The rest of section 8 wasn't producing a ton of high end recruits

The great Moorhead teams of the early 90's sent guys all over Minnesota D1- Cloud, Duluth, Gophers. We got Vandevelde...

This recent crop of Green Wavers is the best that I've ever seen come out of EGF, and we've got the best one coming

I am an EGF guy originally and there are a lot of Gopher fans there.  A lot of it goes back to the 1970s and 1980s when the general  consensus was that Gino ignored Section 8 and instead had mostly Canadian players.  I remember a jamboree or Section tourney at EGF in late 70's and supposedly every WCHA coaching staff had someone there to watch except UND.   Whether or not it was 100% true,  it was a popular story in EGF at that time.  Even though 40 years have passed many still hold onto things like that.

My mother-in-law cheers for UM in hockey even though she had a son-in-law play fb at UND and three grandchildren go to school there and has zero ties to UM.  She knows the families of the current UND hockey players from EGF and also Dixon Bowen who has committed.    There is something to be said for loyalty and old allegiances die hard.

A bunch of my hockey connected friends in EGF have started to cheer for UND over UM in the last 10 years or so as more EGF kids have played there.

That is interesting. I would be interested to know the identities of some of these Section 8 kids Gino didn't recruit but should have. Was Mack one? Obviously I remember the Christian's, Burggraf's, Bowen, Pelawa, Riendeau and a few others. In terms of kids UND didn't get, such as the Broten's and Erickson from Roseau, I assume that wasn't due to a lack of trying.

Do you remember the "family friend" social call that Glen Sonmor and Uncle Louie paid to Zach Parise immediately after Z-Par committed to UND?

Do you remember the "family friend" social call that Glen Sonmor and Uncle Louie paid to Zach Parise immediately after Z-Par committed to UND?

I do...the issue there was it was post-commitment...had they paid a visit to their old pal JP and Zach pre-commitment...no biggie

That is interesting. I would be interested to know the identities of some of these Section 8 kids Gino didn't recruit but should have. Was Mack one? Obviously I remember the Christian's, Burggraf's, Bowen, Pelawa, Riendeau and a few others. In terms of kids UND didn't get, such as the Broten's and Erickson from Roseau, I assume that wasn't due to a lack of trying.

I'm not saying it is justified.  It goes back before Craig Mack to the time of the Broten's in the mid to late 70's.  EGF, Bemidji and others fielded teams that competed pretty well with the Roseau teams but not many of those kids got a chance to play DI in college. 

I'm not saying it is justified.  It goes back before Craig Mack to the time of the Broten's in the mid to late 70's.  EGF, Bemidji and others fielded teams that competed pretty well with the Roseau teams but not many of those kids got a chance to play DI in college. 

I'm not doubting what you're saying. I'm just a little surprised. On the other hand, it's always been my belief that the people whose families go back a few generations in EGF sometimes have a very different viewpoint from the more recent transplants. I graduated from Central in 1988, and I can think of at least a dozen people from Grand Forks who graduated the same year as me who have since moved across the river, mostly due to the housing being a bit more affordable. Some of these people have kids who have recently played hockey for the Green Wave, and they would never dream of rooting for the Gophers over UND. For that matter, neither would any of the EGF people I knew in high school. But then again, I mostly knew the kids who played football and/or basketball. I guess maybe some of the hockey families felt differently. 

We saw the same type irritation of a few fans that thought Idalski was ignoring North Dakota players. Turns out that great talent and perceived huge loss for UND hasn't done much elsewhere. The perception of some fans on what it takes at the next level doesn't always meet reality.

Another deflection from the main point, which is what people have a tendency to when losing a debate. The fact of the matter is that they have only won 5 of the last 10 state titles, and 1 of the last 4. Can you go back and find any other point in history where they did not win more frequently than that? And, to be fair, does Central even deserve to share Red River's glory in recent years? GF people like to say Red River and Central are so far ahead of the rest of the state, but really I think a more accurate statement is that Red River is so far ahead of the rest of the state (or at least they have been for most of the past 30 years up until just recently). I think Central, during that time period, has been much closer to the rest of the state than they have been to Red River.

Would you also argue that Hermantown in Minnesota is not dominating Class A hockey because they have no titles in the last six years?
  • Upvote 2

Another deflection from the main point, which is what people have a tendency to when losing a debate. The fact of the matter is that they have only won 5 of the last 10 state titles, and 1 of the last 4. Can you go back and find any other point in history where they did not win more frequently than that? And, to be fair, does Central even deserve to share Red River's glory in recent years? GF people like to say Red River and Central are so far ahead of the rest of the state, but really I think a more accurate statement is that Red River is so far ahead of the rest of the state (or at least they have been for most of the past 30 years up until just recently). I think Central, during that time period, has been much closer to the rest of the state than they have been to Red River.

Dave, My numbers are fact.  No deflection from reality there. If your original argument was that precisely GF would only win 1 out of 4 titles from 2012-2015 then I guess you were correct.  If you can show me that quote I will eat crow.  

Here is my quote...save it and post it 7 years from now and tell me I am wrong:  GF hockey in the next 7 years will, as it currently does, dominate high school hockey in ND.  

You really don't believe that Minot was a better team then Central was this year do you?  Even the Minot kids know better.  They played the type of game they needed to win that single game and good for them, they earned it but nobody believes that they were the best team in the state this year.  Fact is that GF teams dominated the state this year and will for at least the next 7 years.

GF hockey goes in cycles.  Central had the upper hand the last two years and probably will the next two as well and then RR will probably take the lead for a couple of years and then it could be back to Central again.

PS...Good luck to the GF Greyhounds as the just won the state Pee Wee A title and are heading to play in the regional in Madison WI...the same regional that GF won last year as Pee Wees...another accomplishment by up and coming GF high school players that I failed to mention on my last post.

Other fun facts-

Grand Forks Central Enrollment:  929

Grand Forks Red River Enrollment:  1150

Total:  2079

Minot High Enrollment:  2100

Imagine if GF fielded one high school hockey team...

for reference Edina high has an enrollment of 1940

Now I know we can cherry pick school enrollments, but just saying that a combined GF hockey team would not be unprecedented based on enrollment, and can you imagine the juggernaut they would be......

• Upvote 1