SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Lake Superior State

AZSIOUX

According to Schlossman on twitter, Hakstol is optimistic that O'Donnell plays but doesn't think Chyzyk will. Both were skating in practice today though.

Both players skated in practice today. I thought both looked really good, too. 

Games like these are good for target practice and seeing if you can hit double digits both nights, but I don't think they really help a team like the Sioux become all that much better. If we pound them both nights, it helps our PWR & is good for the guys' egos; but I don't think playing down to this level helps them become better prepared for March. It maybe gives them a false sense of how good they really are. I suppose it's better than not playing at all, though, as it keeps the guys in shape & is a good time to play Murphy both nights to see if he can get out of his self-imposed rut..

I think UND is going to need to schedule more of these games in the future, especially when they start playing Minnesota again, and Wisconsin is up to the level they should be. Not many conference games that are easy now. I know you have to schedule return games for tough teams, but it would be nice to schedule as many tough non-conference opponents at home as they can and play the weaker opponents on the road. Bottom line is you need a few softies with the league we play in. St. Cloud is a good team but look at their record with their difficult schedule.

One of the most annoying things I find about hockey and hockey culture. You never find out what an injury is and you can't be sure how much a player's play is affected. I just hate not knowing.

I may be wrong, but I think the secrecy is to prevent opposing teams from targeting an injured part of a player's body with the intention of trying to re-injure him.

• Upvote 2

I think UND is going to need to schedule more of these games in the future, especially when they start playing Minnesota again, and Wisconsin is up to the level they should be. Not many conference games that are easy now. I know you have to schedule return games for tough teams, but it would be nice to schedule as many tough non-conference opponents at home as they can and play the weaker opponents on the road. Bottom line is you need a few softies with the league we play in. St. Cloud is a good team but look at their record with their difficult schedule.

I understand & you have a valid point. My reasoning was that the team looked like they were a step behind Miami & not used to that kind of pace after playing some weaker competition before that weekend. But you're right, not all games can or should be against top 15 teams, need a few softies once in awhile..

We need to get the D scoring goals again, and we really need to improve the power play. 5x5 we are not the most talented bunch this year nor are we the deepest, but we're steady and capable frown the lineup. I think we really need LJ and OD to take their games to the next level.

JSchmaltz also needs to step up his play in our zone- lazy does not translate into the Sioux language

We need to get the D scoring goals again, and we really need to improve the power play. 5x5 we are not the most talented bunch this year nor are we the deepest, but we're steady and capable frown the lineup. I think we really need LJ and OD to take their games to the next level.

JSchmaltz also needs to step up his play in our zone- lazy does not translate into the Sioux language

Yeah, considering those things, the injuries, including those playing their way through some, UND hopefully has a lot of room to grow.

Add to that the continued growth for Nick Schmaltz, Olson, and Poganski, and the upside seems great.

What usually happens is that at the end of the season & into the playoffs, we see a Sioux player who elevates his game to a level we weren't expecting earlier in the year. IE, for all we know & it's still TBD, but a guy like Murphy could be the X Factor in getting us through the playoffs when it was the last thing we were anticipating in the first half of the season. Not saying it will be him, but it's usually someone that was deemed a liability or a non-factor earlier.

I think Poganski is going to continue growing beyond his stature as a freshman so I'm not going to say it's him that will be a surprise. I would like to see either J. Schmaltz regain last year's form so there would be no weak links in the D, or LJ to continue his gritty play w/active feet like last weekend to provide more depth at forward..

I've been worried about Johnson and what kind of player he will be. His junior numbers were nice (especially considering his age) and freshman numbers were decent for a freshman (although he was getting top 6 minutes including pp time). Everyone knows he has a great shot and also makes passes but I think his skating has to drastically get better for him to make an impact at this level. I can't tell if he loafs sometimes or if his skating is that average. I should be fair he's not a terrible skater but his stride is pretty choppy for a shorter player (not 6 ft plus).

Curious to know what OD's injury was. Chyzyk's was apparently a shoulder.

I would guess that it has something to do with being thrown violently into the boards head first in St. Cloud. He was pretty woozy being helped off the ice and went to the locker room. I was at the game and I was shocked that he returned to action the next period. He might have had a slight concussion, a neck or shoulder sprain, or even a collar bone a little out of shape. Or it could be something totally unrelated to that incident.

I may be wrong, but I think the secrecy is to prevent opposing teams from targeting an injured part of a player's body with the intention of trying to re-injure him.

That is definitely part of it....but also a guy can take advantage of known injuries as well. If a guy knows you have a wrist injury he can shade you a certain way or know which way to pull a faceoff or if you have a known leg injury he would know which way to attack you in a 1 on 1.

You are right on re getting the D scoring again. 

Earlier in the year we were playing a very effective game plan where after gaining the zone we worked the puck to the D-men and they quarterbacked the offense from the top of the zone.  Now (especially when we have a lead starting at about mid second period) we are working the puck down low with our forwards and doing the classic Sioux 4check grind it out game. 

Here is the problem with that.  This team is about as bad at board battles as any Sioux team in the past 10 years so playing that style to maintain a lead leads to scarce time in our offensive zone and dangerous situations in the defensive zone(see goals scored from plays off of the boards behind our net).  We have seen this play out very clearly over the last month.

Now conversely our zone offense where we get the zone and get it up top to the D-men is about as impressive as any Sioux team over the last 20 years.  While it is on the surface not the wise thing to do when you are protecting a lead (i.e. moving the puck to the blue line-risking odd man rushes), it is ABSOLUTLY the correct thing to do for this team. 

Play to your strengths.  Sometimes a good offense is your best defense.  Oh, by the way, all of this talk about Schmaltz not performing like last year can be explained by the fact that we have focused away from the D-men when in the zone. That is what he is good at..  That is what all of our D-men are frankly awesome at.

People keep talking about how this team is overachieving and the number 1 ranking speaks to the parody in college hockey.  I disagree.  I said it last year and I'll say it again now.  We have an outstanding D-core.  We need to play to them.  We are only a mediocre team when we throw the puck to the boards and try the board battle cycle.  That is when we are in parody land..

That is definitely part of it....but also a guy can take advantage of known injuries as well. If a guy knows you have a wrist injury he can shade you a certain way or know which way to pull a faceoff or if you have a known leg injury he would know which way to attack you in a 1 on 1.

Great points. There's also hippa so they have every right not to disclose.

Don't know if the N. Schmaltz injury was ever listed as lower body (if that's what it was), but it appeared Omaha knew, as on Nick's first faceoff at wing the Omaha player slashed him across the leg before the the puck was dropped, and Nick went down in a heap. He got back up and got slashed again, this time staying upright as the puck was dropped. A bit cheap on Omaha's part but if they didn't know, they were certainly trolling to find the injury.

Now conversely our zone offense where we get the zone and get it up top to the D-men is about as impressive as any Sioux team over the last 20 years.  While it is on the surface not the wise thing to do when you are protecting a lead (i.e. moving the puck to the blue line-risking odd man rushes), it is ABSOLUTLY the correct thing to do for this team. 

Play to your strengths. 

If it's obvious to us, it's obvious to opposing coaches, who can play to take that away.  In that case, getting the puck deep is taking what they give you.

You are right on re getting the D scoring again.

Earlier in the year we were playing a very effective game plan where after gaining the zone we worked the puck to the D-men and they quarterbacked the offense from the top of the zone. Now (especially when we have a lead starting at about mid second period) we are working the puck down low with our forwards and doing the classic Sioux 4check grind it out game.

Here is the problem with that. This team is about as bad at board battles as any Sioux team in the past 10 years so playing that style to maintain a lead leads to scarce time in our offensive zone and dangerous situations in the defensive zone(see goals scored from plays off of the boards behind our net). We have seen this play out very clearly over the last month.

Now conversely our zone offense where we get the zone and get it up top to the D-men is about as impressive as any Sioux team over the last 20 years. While it is on the surface not the wise thing to do when you are protecting a lead (i.e. moving the puck to the blue line-risking odd man rushes), it is ABSOLUTLY the correct thing to do for this team.

Play to your strengths. Sometimes a good offense is your best defense. Oh, by the way, all of this talk about Schmaltz not performing like last year can be explained by the fact that we have focused away from the D-men when in the zone. That is what he is good at.. That is what all of our D-men are frankly awesome at.

People keep talking about how this team is overachieving and the number 1 ranking speaks to the parody in college hockey. I disagree. I said it last year and I'll say it again now. We have an outstanding D-core. We need to play to them. We are only a mediocre team when we throw the puck to the boards and try the board battle cycle. That is when we are in parody land..

I'm not sure if college hockey is parody land or not...possibly at Wisconsin right now, sure, but there definitely is parity in the rest of the sport.
  • Upvote 3

You are right on re getting the D scoring again. 

Earlier in the year we were playing a very effective game plan where after gaining the zone we worked the puck to the D-men and they quarterbacked the offense from the top of the zone.  Now (especially when we have a lead starting at about mid second period) we are working the puck down low with our forwards and doing the classic Sioux 4check grind it out game. 

Here is the problem with that.  This team is about as bad at board battles as any Sioux team in the past 10 years so playing that style to maintain a lead leads to scarce time in our offensive zone and dangerous situations in the defensive zone(see goals scored from plays off of the boards behind our net).  We have seen this play out very clearly over the last month.

Play to your strengths.  Sometimes a good offense is your best defense.  Oh, by the way, all of this talk about Schmaltz not performing like last year can be explained by the fact that we have focused away from the D-men when in the zone. That is what he is good at..  That is what all of our D-men are frankly awesome at.

People keep talking about how this team is overachieving and the number 1 ranking speaks to the parody in college hockey.  I disagree.  I said it last year and I'll say it again now.  We have an outstanding D-core.  We need to play to them.  We are only a mediocre team when we throw the puck to the boards and try the board battle cycle.  That is when we are in parody land..

Hak loves grinding in the corners.  I wish he were a bit more flexible.  Good analysis.

If it's obvious to us, it's obvious to opposing coaches, who can play to take that away. In that case, getting the puck deep is taking what they give you.

While I won't proclaim that this team has never been successfully challenged when working from the top of the zone I will say that I haven't seen enough of it to warrant bailing on it.

I think it's more about Hak wanting to develop the team to be able to play that game.

In his defense one of the main changes I see in the first half vs the second half surge in years past is the way his teams work on the offensive boards.

Having said that I still think anytime this team goes away from working the puck up to the top is time wasted at doing what we should be doing to become that much more dominant. I.e. improving at what we're good at has more value.

He has gone from having big, hulking, physical defensemen to the type we have now. Now I guess he needs to try to utilize them every game.

I have heard in post game interviews several times now that the opposition is focusing on our defensemen jumping into the play more now.  I think game films from last year are really making teams make adjustments to how our defensemen are a big part of our offense.

Great points. There's also hippa so they have every right not to disclose.

HIPAA does not apply to hockey teams or universities.  It only apply to certain types of health care providers and insurance companies.  But yes, non-disclosure of a player's injury is to prevent opponents from gaining a tactical advantage because of that player's injury.

I think it's a mistake that grinding down in the corners and getting the puck to defensemen up top are mutually exclusive.  Look at Jordan Schmaltz' goal on Saturday.  Caggiula was grinding down in the corner and as a result Jordan was able to pinch in from the point to have a golden look at the net, which resulted in our first goal.  After watching game film on our team from the first few games, it looks like teams have made adjustments and pressed our defensemen closer to the blue line, eliminating a lot of the plays they are so good at making.  This requires an adjustment to try to work the walls and create scoring in the forward lines.  If I'm thinking correctly, I believe Air Force was the first team that really keyed in on stopping our D from holding the puck too long which resulted in us needing our forwards to get involved and score some goals to squeak out that win. 

HIPAA does not apply to hockey teams or universities. It only apply to certain types of health care providers and insurance companies. But yes, non-disclosure of a player's injury is to prevent opponents from gaining a tactical advantage because of that player's injury.

Guess I didn't realize that. I still think it best for the athlete/coaching staff to not disclose details regarding any injury. Remember many athletes on und's hockey team plan on playing professionally and I think it's best injuries not be released to the public. Certain info could really hamper some guys' future careers.

• Upvote 1