SiouxSports.com Forum

north dakota vs uno saturday gameday

gfhockey

I don't care for poolman as a forward brings way to much on the D side. We have Murphy in the stands as a capable forward ,how does he gain experience and or confidence if he doesn't play? J. Schmaltz should have sat after Friday's game imho not Mattson, I thought Mattson played fine and deserved another start. We have way too many options on D and not much on O right know.

I still think Poolman will eventually be back at D when Chyzk and/or OD get healthy but I like the way he has played at forward these past few games and think he brings more to the lineup than Murphy right now. I think Murphy has been alright this year but he is in the lineup to score and hasn't produced at all when given the opportunity. You can't worry about hurting a guys confidence you just have to put the lineup out there that you think is gonna give you the best chance to win that night and right now that is with Poolman at forward.

• Upvote 1

I vaguely recall that...what was the story again? Wasn't it an OT loss?

I think so, all I know is they didn't see the puck cross the goal line but guessed that it did because the goalie was pushed across the line. then used the camera behind the Michigan goalie to review the play to see it the puck crossed the line.

I'm sure gfhockey knows the whole story.

Good conference win. Zane was real good especially in the 3rd when UND went into "play not to lose" mode. Panz needs to play more...physical presence and he kept it simple. I like what he brought. If Pooly continues to improve at wing keep him there. Nice to have him a on top of PP and he can go to D if needed in a game. If Nick can stay healthy and continue to adjust to play at this level he could basically carry this team come March. Jordan needs to figure it out...soon. His play leading to the first UNO goal was easily one of the laziest and dumbest plays I've seen in college hockey in some time. Gonna be interesting to see who sits when OD and Chyzyk get healthy as both were playing very well prior to injuries. Thought this weekend was Thompson's best series of his college career. Need solid play and a non conference sweep next weekend.

Panzarella played smart, physical hockey & didn't try to play beyond his abilities or role. Plus he stuck up for his teammates when needed without drawing dumb penalties.

Ausmus & Stecher are beasts out there ...Ausmus is very confident & capable when it comes to holding the blueline without backing off prematurely & Stecher just doesn't quit out there. Stecher not only plays hard all the time, he plays smart & sets a great example for his teammates. What a steal he's been & he exemplifies what Sioux hockey is.

Poganski showed excellent acceleration in the O-zone last night when he blew by an Omaha defender for a good scoring chance; he's definitely figuring out the college game very early in his career.

K. Thompson showed confidence in his game when he went end-to-end & got off a good shot; L. Johnson showed some tenacity & was moving his feet this weekend.

Don't know what's going on in J. Schmaltz's head. He doesn't appear to have an undisclosed, nagging injury & it seems his tentative play is stemming from a lack of confidence, overthinking or maybe he's got something going on in his personal life. I wonder if his relationship to star brother Nick precludes him from riding the bench, albeit briefly. I suggest this as the coach has no qualms benching other players who aren't producing or who are too inconsistent.

No clear-cut dominant teams at this stage in the season. The Boston schools are very beatable, MN is too up & down & their conference is mostly down, defending champ Union got whacked by W. Michigan like 8-2 this weekend, the Sioux are talented but too inconsistent at this point for them to be ranked as high as #2, imo. We'll see in 3.5 months who's gelled & improved the most..Oh, & did someone keep track of how many times Omaha tried to go backdoor on UND? I lost track of how many times both UND defenders would be staring down an Omaha forward in the corner while one of their defensemen rushed in from the blueline without being noticed.

I think so, all I know is they didn't see the puck cross the goal line but guessed that it did because the goalie was pushed across the line. then used the camera behind the Michigan goalie to review the play to see it the puck crossed the line.

I'm sure gfhockey knows the whole story.

I doubt he was sober enough to remember it.

• Upvote 1