SiouxSports.com Forum

All I Want For Christmas Football Edition

geaux_sioux

"I know you don't see it"... you always like to take a personal shot when given the opportunity when someone doesn't see things like you. I get you are one of the few real football minds on this site but I'm pulling for your boy Joe as much as anyone. There obviously is a reason he was so highly regarded and recruited out of HS as you have stated. Just hope in the next couple years with his play it is evident why.

What sucks for Joe is he needed to improve his mobility the most. That will be tough to do with his injury. We all saw the difference that Studsrud's speed and quickness made.

Joe was developing this season as a QB and a leader. Just like Jer Garmin who so many people threw under the bus, as the oline developed, so did Joe and Garmin. I don't think it is fair to throw either Mollberg or Bartles under the bus. Oline was maturing and developing along with them. Studsrud hung in there and hopefully will benefit from the experience. If Mollberg can't come back, Bartels is a very capable QB if you give him time and receivers, but same goes for Joe. I know you don't see it but Bubba and the staff did and that is all that matters. Doesn't matter how much hype a kid comes in with. Once they are here they need to adjust to the speed, size and skill at this level. Doesn't matter who started this year, if someone else develops at a faster rate or someone else struggles, Bubba and staff will go with the guy who gives us best chance to win. If Bartles and Mollberg are both healthy, we have 2 decent QB's and a promising young kid in Studsrud. We still need 2 more quality recruits at QB.

Unless one is a transfer or it's the top two qbs on the board I don't think we can bring in two this year. Too much depth to develop to spend on a position where only one can play.

"I know you don't see it"... you always like to take a personal shot when given the opportunity when someone doesn't see things like you. I get you are one of the few real football minds on this site but I'm pulling for your boy Joe as much as anyone. There obviously is a reason he was so highly regarded and recruited out of HS as you have stated. Just hope in the next couple years with his play it is evident why.

Good Lord that's not a shot, I'm just pointing out you don't see what I see. Doesn't mean I'm right and you are wrong. What matters is what Bubba sees. I think we agree on one thing, we want what is best for Sioux fb. I did stick up for Joe and also Bartels and Studsrud cuz the team aspect of this game is so important to their individual success and the success of this program. I'm not going to be upset if someone else is a better QB than Mollberg and starts ahead of Joe. I think if they are they will be pretty good. I'm just a guy on a blog and no more a fb mind than you or anyone else. I sure as he'll couldn't coach anymore. At the end of the day, we got better as the season progressed. When you take into account the injuries and late start recruiting with defections, dismissals and lack of depth, this is a program on the rise. Go Sioux and happy Thanksgiving.

My opinion of Mollberg and Bartels is that I have seen enough of both to feel that either can be an adequate game manager but neither will ever be a difference maker. Both of them need a superior supporting cast to succeed in my opinion. As far as Studsrud goes, how can anyone tell anything about his potential yet? I will say he is the best athlete of the three by far, has a stronger arm than Bartels, and is more accurate than Mollberg. But he is way to young and has a lot to learn. He performed admirably in a tough situation, but I think it would be in his best interests to learn from the older guys before being thrown back in the mix.

Hopefully Molberg heals fast and let the best man win between him and Bartels in the fall, and hope we have a running game and receivers that carry this team.

What sucks for Joe is he needed to improve his mobility the most. That will be tough to do with his injury. We all saw the difference that Studsrud's speed and quickness made.

Love a dual threat quarterback in college, especially one who can read exactly when to pull the ball on read options. Just so much more difficult to defend and game plan.

My opinion of Mollberg and Bartels is that I have seen enough of both to feel that either can be an adequate game manager but neither will ever be a difference maker. Both of them need a superior supporting cast to succeed in my opinion. As far as Studsrud goes, how can anyone tell anything about his potential yet? I will say he is the best athlete of the three by far, has a stronger arm than Bartels, and is more accurate than Mollberg. But he is way to young and has a lot to learn. He performed admirably in a tough situation, but I think it would be in his best interests to learn from the older guys before being thrown back in the mix.

Hopefully Molberg heals fast and let the best man win between him and Bartels in the fall, and hope we have a running game and receivers that carry this team.

Would have been nice had Mollberg and Bartels had someone last year to learn from. I think Mollberg and Bartels are capable with a supporting cast, and continued success running the fb. I think jury is out as to whether either can carry the team, but I

think both can be very good when given capable receivers and time to throw. I agree Studsrud will need to develop. I don't see him ahead of either of these guys when both are healthy. Would be nice if we can get a redshirt year from him next year.

Would have been nice had Mollberg and Bartels had someone last year to learn from. I think Mollberg and Bartels are capable with a supporting cast, and continued success running the fb. I think jury is out as to whether either can carry the team, but I

think both can be very good when given capable receivers and time to throw. I agree Studsrud will need to develop. I don't see him ahead of either of these guys when both are healthy. Would be nice if we can get a redshirt year from him next year.

Our top 3 QBs will be competing hard for the starting job and it will make them better players. They will all be given a shot and we might not know who the 'starter' is until a week before opener. May the best man win, that's my position.

Quarterback position is a moot point right now. Anyone of the three quarterbacks who played this season (assuming they're healthy) are capable, if the offense around them has sufficient talent and depth. Right now, that is not the case. Next season, UND needs new starters at running back and wide receiver, and offensive line still needs attention in my opinion (losing 2 starters due to graduation and need better depth). The defense looked good this season but even that unit acquired FBS transfers and JUCOs; offense NEEDS an FBS transfer or two for next season.

I just want a quarterback to make the plays that are available, not turn the ball over and or have a bunch of negative plays.  If we had a QB doing just this all season (which is difficult) I don't think we get blown out in any games and likely win a couple more. 

• Upvote 1

I just want a quarterback to make the plays that are available, not turn the ball over and or have a bunch of negative plays. If we had a QB doing just this all season (which is difficult) I don't think we get blown out in any games and likely win a couple more.

Quarterback is only as good as the pieces around him. No running game early in the year (oline atill developing) and no receivers late in the year. Offensive line, running back, and receiver are all positions of need for 2015; defense looks set for at least next year. Of course, need to be constantly developing depth.

Our top 3 QBs will be competing hard for the starting job and it will make them better players. They will all be given a shot and we might not know who the 'starter' is until a week before opener. May the best man win, that's my position.

I would be very surprised is Molberg was ready by the start of next season.  Achilles injuries take a long time to heal.  I think it's gonna be Bartels and Studrud competing for the starting job. 

Quarterback is only as good as the pieces around him. No running game early in the year (oline atill developing) and no receivers late in the year. Offensive line, running back, and receiver are all positions of need for 2015; defense looks set for at least next year. Of course, need to be constantly developing depth.

I get what you are saying and agree a large part of the time but you certainly can't blame all of the mistakes on the other players.  If a QB fumbles or throws a pick it is his fault almost all of the time.  Some exceptions happen but not all that often. 

I get what you are saying and agree a large part of the time but you certainly can't blame all of the mistakes on the other players.  If a QB fumbles or throws a pick it is his fault almost all of the time.  Some exceptions happen but not all that often. 

Agree...there were many, many plays throughout the season that were not made by UND's QBs that were there to be had regardless of all the other players and situations on the field.  Better QB play next season will go along ways in the continued improvement of this team.

Although the last two games were fun to watch, I am not 100% sold on the idea that our O line problems are over.  Remember, just three games ago we were beaten by winless Weber State and four weeks ago we managed to put up 3 points on what was then considered a very porous Eastern Washington defense.  This theory that has evolved over the last two weeks that our O line has arrived is way premature.  It appears that we are all in for Bubba Ball so my wish list is for lots more Big Uglies.  I agree with Oxbow on his analysis on QB play, but we need to see way fewer second and 9's next year.

• Upvote 1

Although the last two games were fun to watch, I am not 100% sold on the idea that our O line problems are over.  Remember, just three games ago we were beaten by winless Weber State and four weeks ago we managed to put up 3 points on what was then considered a very porous Eastern Washington defense.  This theory that has evolved over the last two weeks that our O line has arrived is way premature.  It appears that we are all in for Bubba Ball so my wish list is for lots more Big Uglies.  I agree with Oxbow on his analysis on QB play, but we need to see way fewer second and 9's next year.

You may be right that some are being a little over positive in relation to the OL play but they did improve greatly with run blocking and that is really all you can ask for during the season.  If this type of improvement continues I think we will be very happy with the run game in the coming years. 

Who said the OL problems were OVER?  It got better as the season went on, which is what people are pointing out.  UND is still about 5-7 OL short of being solid in that position.

Who said the OL problems were OVER?  It got better as the season went on, which is what people are pointing out.  UND is still about 5-7 OL short of being solid in that position.

The general tone on this board was one of "problem solved" - Look, I'm not trying to take away from what this group did in the last two games - It is obviously a bunch that worked their butts off.  But remember, only 4 games ago they were still a huge concern.  The point I was trying to make was only that we are all in on Bubba Ball and that means we have to be dominant in the O line - otherwise things go sideways in a hurry.  I see O line as our number one recruiting need.  

The general tone on this board was one of "problem solved" - Look, I'm not trying to take away from what this group did in the last two games - It is obviously a bunch that worked their butts off. But remember, only 4 games ago they were still a huge concern. The point I was trying to make was only that we are all in on Bubba Ball and that means we have to be dominant in the O line - otherwise things go sideways in a hurry. I see O line as our number one recruiting need.

We have some very nice looking OL recruits already, it's being addressed.

The general tone on this board was one of "problem solved" - Look, I'm not trying to take away from what this group did in the last two games - It is obviously a bunch that worked their butts off. But remember, only 4 games ago they were still a huge concern. The point I was trying to make was only that we are all in on Bubba Ball and that means we have to be dominant in the O line - otherwise things go sideways in a hurry. I see O line as our number one recruiting need.

I don't think anyone would argue the need to continue to recruit OL.

4 games ago was the problem the OL or was the problem a true freshman QB under center? Our starting rb rushed for a total if 650 in those 4 games.

At the risk of stating the obvious regarding the OL, the difference between where this group was when Bubba and staff took over, and where it is heading into spring ball is huge. I think it's safe to say the days of having to convert multiple defensive linemen out of absolute necessity are over for the foreseeable future. I think things will continue on an upward trajectory in the coming years with the better recruiting that we've already seen that this staff is doing. Not to mention the better player development that was also evident this year.

When a new coaching staff and playbook comes on board, it takes longer for the offense to gel.  There are a lot of timing issues (between QB & WR, between QB & RB, between QB & Center, and between all the lineman).  I saw lot of positives with the line as the season went on, especially since they had three different QB's and four changes at RB's.  I am encouraged about what they can continue to do and build on in the offseason.  OL looses 2 seniors but the backups have all been working very hard and shadowing the starters.  I had hoped that a couple more 2's would have been given live game reps.  Plus there are true freshman and new recruits that will help build some depth.