SiouxSports.com Forum

All I Want For Christmas Football Edition

geaux_sioux

Although the last two games were fun to watch, I am not 100% sold on the idea that our O line problems are over.  Remember, just three games ago we were beaten by winless Weber State and four weeks ago we managed to put up 3 points on what was then considered a very porous Eastern Washington defense.  This theory that has evolved over the last two weeks that our O line has arrived is way premature.  It appears that we are all in for Bubba Ball so my wish list is for lots more Big Uglies.  I agree with Oxbow on his analysis on QB play, but we need to see way fewer second and 9's next year.

Yup gotta keep it in perspective - middle of season was the tough guys - Montana, Montana State and EW, end of the season was the soft part of the schedule. Last two games were encouraging but the competition was soft (and yes I think NA was a pretender). 

I think the best reason for optimism is the last month of the season everyone we played knew we were almost exclusively going to run the ball. And knowing that we were still able to run the ball very effectively. That is the positive I am going to build on. The team just needs to keep recruiting and keep improving.

Yup gotta keep it in perspective - middle of season was the tough guys - Montana, Montana State and EW, end of the season was the soft part of the schedule. Last two games were encouraging but the competition was soft (and yes I think NA was a pretender).

Should've beat Montana. I'm buying the turnaround.

Although the last two games were fun to watch, I am not 100% sold on the idea that our O line problems are over.  Remember, just three games ago we were beaten by winless Weber State and four weeks ago we managed to put up 3 points on what was then considered a very porous Eastern Washington defense.  This theory that has evolved over the last two weeks that our O line has arrived is way premature.  It appears that we are all in for Bubba Ball so my wish list is for lots more Big Uglies.  I agree with Oxbow on his analysis on QB play, but we need to see way fewer second and 9's next year.

You bring up an interesting point.

We all know the program will be judged by the performance vs the big 3.

vs MSU 71 yards on 32 attempts

vs UM   45 yards on 35 attempts

vs EWU 126 yards on 27 attempts

total 242 yards on 94 attempts in 3 games

avg 80.6 ypg on 31.3 attempts=2.5 ypc

To deliver on Bubba's goal of building this team on defense and running game, I would vote for improved line play as my biggest wish as well.

But you also have to keep in perspective what they had left at the end of the season through injuries, defections and getting rid of guys that didn't buy in.  You could say that from last years receivers we were at #6 or #7 on the depth chart this year, with the loss of Bridges, McGill and Young and the loss of Hardin (to graduation), Jackson and Golladay.  Throw the loss of the starting tight end and running back, top two quarterbacks ...    You get the picture.  Guess I would be thinking with all of that, UND would be the soft part of everybody's schedule, and for the mostpart, they were not.

But you also have to keep in perspective what they had left at the end of the season through injuries, defections and getting rid of guys that didn't buy in. You could say that from last years receivers we were at #6 or #7 on the depth chart this year, with the loss of Bridges, McGill and Young and the loss of Hardin (to graduation), Jackson and Golladay. Throw the loss of the starting tight end and running back, top two quarterbacks ... You get the picture. Guess I would be thinking with all of that, UND would be the soft part of everybody's schedule, and for the mostpart, they were not.

Exactly, the offense resembled the walking dead mid season.

Looking back a year ago.  How frustrated and disappointed I was with the football program.  The process everyone endured until Bubba was hired.  Frustration through the whole process of the hire and some happy and some not happy with Bubba being hired.  Then signing day rolled around. Many were impressed with the quality of recruits in such a short time.  Later spring seemed better than the year before but concerns on the many positions to fill.  All the time still recruiting for JC and transfers.  Fall camp some hope was developing but still concerned how the team would produce.  Many believed 3 wins would be tops a few figured possible to get 5 if lucky.

Today I saw a stat miller tweeted  long rush was 37 yards.  Could anyone believe that to be possible after the 2013 season.  I listened to Bubba recent presser.  Man are we fortunate.  Our rush defense is ranked 5th in the nation.  We have more depth adding to most of the returning players.

I am simply amazed and bless our Christmas wish from last has been such a joy.  Bubba is all in for this program and it shows.

But you also have to keep in perspective what they had left at the end of the season through injuries, defections and getting rid of guys that didn't buy in.  You could say that from last years receivers we were at #6 or #7 on the depth chart this year, with the loss of Bridges, McGill and Young and the loss of Hardin (to graduation), Jackson and Golladay.  Throw the loss of the starting tight end and running back, top two quarterbacks ...    You get the picture.  Guess I would be thinking with all of that, UND would be the soft part of everybody's schedule, and for the mostpart, they were not.

Oh I"m on board with the turnaround and that we are headed in the right direction - the Weber Game was rock bottom yet the team and coaches were able to suck it up - it would have been easy and understandable to drop the last two games but they turned out to be the best two games of the season and we were playing our scout team quarterback and third stringers all over the place. Shows the character of those kids. 

• Upvote 1