SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Miami - SATURDAY

AZSIOUX

Thought Thompson played better than in Friday's game. Ausmus was very good all weekend too. For playing in both games not sure what Olson brings that Pogs sits. Murphy... again I don't get it. OD had his best weekend in along time. He looked solid. After this weekend will be tough to break up Mac, Parks and Caggs even when Nick is healthy. Colton and Bryn just play w a tenacity that is fun to watch.

I have the B10 foursome of Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin at a combined 10-23-1 record so far this season...yikes.

Like burd said, there are no doubt prized recruits who will want to play in the B10, but I don't think they will be THEE dominant conference that they envisioned. Time will tell..

When you have a defensive pair like Ladue and Schmaltz it is hard for any other pair to top that but last night Ausmus and Stetcher definitely were the best D pair on the ice.

I agree. Ladue is obviously a bit rusty/hurt still, he'll be fine by next weekend. I actually thought Murphy made a few nice plays, now only if he could pick up his compete level. The top line looked extremely dominant. Wondering what they'll do when schmaltz comes back. I would go back to him playing with cags and keeping mark and parks together. I'm still not sure who sits but I hope poolman is back next weekend. I did not see any defenseman who played bad however. I'm guessing mattson could be a regular now. Hak was trying to jolt him. Mattson didn't play great but he wasn't a liability out there. Maybe Thompson sits who knows at this point. Additionally, I hope Poganski is back.

I agree. Ladue is obviously a bit rusty/hurt still, he'll be fine by next weekend. I actually thought Murphy made a few nice plays, now only if he could pick up his compete level. The top line looked extremely dominant. Wondering what they'll do when schmaltz comes back. I would go back to him playing with cags and keeping mark and parks together. I'm still not sure who sits but I hope poolman is back next weekend. I did not see any defenseman who played bad however. I'm guessing mattson could be a regular now. Hak was trying to jolt him. Mattson didn't play great but he wasn't a liability out there. Maybe Thompson sits who knows at this point. Additionally, I hope Poganski is back.

Why wasn't Poolman playing?

Why wasn't Poolman playing?

Friday nights game was a wakeup call for Poolman. He clearly was not ready for that much speed. His misplay led directly to the 2 on 1 on which Miami scored early in the game. Hakstal stated that the team needed some aspects of Mattson's playmaking ability on the offensive side against Miami. To be fair, Poolman was not the only young defenseman that had some issues on Friday night. Thompson and LaDue both had their not so great moments. Miami just brought a whole different game than they were used to seeing.

Friday nights game was a wakeup call for Poolman. He clearly was not ready for that much speed. His misplay led directly to the 2 on 1 on which Miami scored early in the game. Hakstal stated that the team needed some aspects of Mattson's playmaking ability on the offensive side against Miami. To be fair, Poolman was not the only young defenseman that had some issues on Friday night. Thompson and LaDue both had their not so great moments. Miami just brought a whole different game than they were used to seeing.

I found Miami a fun team to watch.  Their fans will enjoy some good hockey this year.

UND won't get better by playing teams like the Badgers every weekend, so thanks to MU for helping the guys get further along that learning curve. ...The NCHC is shaping up to be a power conference this year, like the SEC West in football. Roll Tide and roll Sioux..

Thanks for your insights, folks..

Dave has UND 4-2...dial it in!

From my preview:

The Prediction

Both of these games could go either way, but I’m giving Miami the edge on Friday night since North Dakota is shuffling lines and readjusting after injuries rocked the lineup. UND will rebound for a victory on Saturday, and a split this weekend would not be a disappointing result. Miami 3-2, UND 4-2.

Well, I was close. I'll do better next weekend. ;)

Dave

Couple take aways: Stecher was our best D this weekend. Luke missed some prime shots, but once he dials in, he's going to be better that I ever expected. Caggs keeps finding ways to make my jaw drop - I yelled so loud on that backhand, that I think I dislodged a tonsil!

I've been waiting for Murphy to connect--he seems so close a times.   Has shown good hand but just can't complete the play.   When he failed to convert on that clean break to the net last night, I just decided maybe he doesn't have the confidence yet.   If he had been patient and held the puck for another split second, he would have had the entire net to shoot at.    It's the way its been for him.   To turn the corner, I think he needs a couple of goals. 

This UND roster is really looking solid with the talent spread among the classes.  Just a lot of good hockey players willing to work.