SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Four 2015

Eggs412

Have hotel and airfare booked.  Still need to buy tickets, but I'm not too worried about getting them, only that I'll end up sitting between BC and BU fans...

I just started looking at hotels.  Any good areas to stay?  Downtown would be the obvious choice but I have a had time spending $200+ a night.  I know the transit in Boston is one of the tops in the country.

I travel to Boston a lot on business, so would note the following ...

Auto:

* Unless you are planning a trip out of town, to say Cape Cod, skip the car.

* Ridiculously expensive to park, plus once you get "downtown" you can walk to anyplace. (Or take a 2-stop subway ride, or take a $6 taxi.)

* For those who haven't been there, the arena is on top of North Station.   Easy public transportation from there.

Hotels:  

* unless you are really cash-strapped, stay "downtown" ... most of us can walk (or catch a 2-stop subway ride) easily.   Being right in the middle of things is worth it ... as is the solid night life which is better downtown.

* if you are staying outside of "downtown", pick a hotel you can walk to the train or subway.  

* Its not cheap, but I like the Langham.   Its housed in the old Federal Reserve building.  NOT a party atmosphere.

* Stayed at the Holiday Inn near Mass Gen last time (2004) ... it was fine but the best thing was it was close.

* Don't ignore options in Cambridge that are a short subway ride (or a moderate walk) into downtown.

Transportation from Logan Airport to Downtown Boston:

* Taxi should be $25-30.  Fast but higher cost.

* Water shuttle is fun if the weather is decent.

* Public transportation, especially pre-late night, is solid and reliable.

Airfare into Logan is generally expensive.

* Southwest does fly into Logan.

* Southwest into Manchester or Providence is also a lower-fare option.

Restaurants:

* my favorite method is to walk the North End and select an Italian restaurant by standing outside and if it smells good, go in.   That method has never failed me, and there are many authentic Italian restaurants.

* second favorite method is to walk the area around the Arena after the game, and stop by a pub that sounds interesting.   Never failed me, either.

If it snows, Boston gets really REALLY slow ... allow 3x the normal travel time if its snowing.

Here's hoping you find this helpful.  Happy to discuss.

Aloha.

Restaurants:

* my favorite method is to walk the North End and select an Italian restaurant by standing outside and if it smells good, go in.  

Love it!

I've only visited Boston a couple of times but would say from my experience your tips about where to stay and transportation are spot on.  And I can't get enough of the North End, especially for food.

• 3 months later...

Just looking at cost of flights, and hotels, don't think I can justify it.  Figure in session passes because I'd want to see all the games, I'm looking at it costing as much to go there as spending a week in Mexico.  I love my hockey, and hopefully Sioux will be there, but I'd rather have drinks on the beach in Mexico.

Just looking at cost of flights, and hotels, don't think I can justify it. Figure in session passes because I'd want to see all the games, I'm looking at it costing as much to go there as spending a week in Mexico. I love my hockey, and hopefully Sioux will be there, but I'd rather have drinks on the beach in Mexico.

Or you could support the 'Merican economy & go to Boston, the birthplace of American independence......celebrating the history of Liberty as the ghost of Adams and Reeve toss their three cornered hats onto the ice as Parks top shelfs his third.....all while downing rich lagers delivered to you upon the wings of bald eagles......

Or you could support the 'Merican economy & go to Boston, the birthplace of American independence......celebrating the history of Liberty as the ghost of Adams and Reeve toss their three cornered hats onto the ice as Parks top shelfs his third.....all while downing rich lagers delivered to you upon the wings of bald eagles......

That sounds great, but I would put money on his 3rd being a wraparound.  ;)

Just looking at cost of flights, and hotels, don't think I can justify it.  Figure in session passes because I'd want to see all the games, I'm looking at it costing as much to go there as spending a week in Mexico.  I love my hockey, and hopefully Sioux will be there, but I'd rather have drinks on the beach in Mexico.

Yeah, that's what I figured out, too.  It was looking to be almost $2000 for me to go, and I'm within driving distance.

I hope to get tickets! My sister and brother-in-law live in the city. They went to BU and BC, respectively. In fact my brother-in-law played hockey for BC and was on the 1999-2000 team when they lost to a certain school from Grand Forks in the NC game...looking to bring a little green to their house ;)

As long as he wasn't on the 2000-2001 team

• 4 weeks later...