Who should start?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Moll erg or Bartels

• Bartels
    • Mollberg
    • Hanson
    • Ivery
    • Other

In Big Sky play, Mollberg is 44-69 for 479 yards in nine quarters (with two turnovers--not great but not too bad). In terms of completion percentage and yardage, I don't think that's far off from where UND can reasonably expect to be given the overall talent level. Of course, that doesn't mean much without scoring more offensive points than what we've seen, but at least there are no more defenses close to Montana's caliber on the schedule.

I think that is the frustration many have with Joe.  There was a lot of excitement when he turned down the Ag School and had a lot of interest from Iowa and Northern Illinois.  Neither of these guys developed last year as they could have/should have.  Lots of factors but  one of them is going to be our guy going forward and this staff thinks it is Mollberg.  They need to know if they are right or wrong.  There  isn't any game this year that has answered that question, even the MSU game where he played poorly.  I understand the criticism, but your former high school coach  thinks Mollberg is the better QB. I do to so far.  Expectations are very high and dissapointment will be more for Joe and not so much with Ryan.  They both can play, but can Joe be a guy who can carry a team?  Maybe, I still think so, but hell, my opinion is no more valid than say... GFhockey or yours. .  The jury is still out on both of these guys and they both better be ready to play and stay ready to play.  If one isn't playing and pouts, he won't ever be the guy. I think they are both handling this pretty well so far. This staff will never make a decision based on fan opinion and they shouldn't. I think they are both capable of being successful.

I think you are hitting the nail on the head here.  Molberg was arguably the most hyped recruit to come to UND in probably more than a decade.  And he chose North Dakota over NDSU at a time when NDSU was hand picking whatever regional recruits it wanted.  Then add the fact that he had interest from a Big 10 team, and the fans of this once proud program figured he was going to be the savior.

It just hasn't translated to on the field success to this point.  I will clarify that I have been a Bartels guy going back to last season, but honestly there is not a huge degree of separation between the two.  If there were, we all wouldn't still be arguing who should be the starter between them for the second consecutive season.  In my opinion there is less risk with Bartels. 

In Molberg's defense as far as not living up to expectations, people have to remember that it has been a long time since a freshman QB led North Dakota's football program.  Heck, and correct me if I am wrong, but you have to go back 12 years to find even a sophomore that was starting for this program when Bowenkamp took the reigns only because of injury to Klosterman.  Furthermore, despite an excellent receiving corps last season, Molberg (and Bartels) is enduring a second consecutive season with little help from the offensive line and little help from any other offensive skill position players. 

In the end, I predict that nobody is going to be happy until neither one of the these guys is starting at QB, and that could be a couple years down the road.......

It could be very interesting heading into spring football and Studsrud comes more into play. You hear the occasional comment that he could be a pretty good player. 

Regardless, all of this is moot with our current offensive line. 

It could be very interesting heading into spring football and Studsrud comes more into play. You hear the occasional comment that he could be a pretty good player.

Regardless, all of this is moot with our current offensive line.

I'd like to see us get either an FBS OL transfer, which is rare, or an actually good JUCO OL or two.

• 2 months later...

I say we have all three - Molberg's injury might keep him on the sidelines for awhile longer, tough break nice kid. So really it will be Bartels and Studsrud fighting it out for the starter. Bartels caught a bad break it would have been nice for him to have the last three games to show his stuff. Hope he sticks it out - he seems like a team player plus he's 3 years invested in his education at UND. 

Remember at UND the players are there to get an education for life, not putting in time to later become petition signature gatherers and late night Best Buy clerks. 

the topic is molberg or bartels.  so next year do we have both or neither, or a combination with studsrud?

I think Bartels will be number one coming out of spring practice. Studsrud number 2. Studsrud hasn't had time to mature and will need to prove himself as number one in spring ball to have a chance at #1. If Studsrud is number one, I would expect Bartels to transfer. If Mollberg is healthy, he is our best QB. It isn't fair to Studsrud to expect him to move ahead of Bartels this spring and certainly not fair to Bartels to move him behind a freshman who completed less than 40% of his passes (or whatever his final number was). He did a good job under difficult circumstances and hopefully will develop into our QB of the future. Bartels has earned the right to be #1 going into spring ball. We can't afford to lose him with the injury to Mollberg. Until Joe is healthy I think Bartels is clearly the guy.

I think Bartels will be number one coming out of spring practice. Studsrud number 2. Studsrud hasn't had time to mature and will need to prove himself as number one in spring ball to have a chance at #1. If Studsrud is number one, I would expect Bartels to transfer. If Mollberg is healthy, he is our best QB. It isn't fair to Studsrud to expect him to move ahead of Bartels this spring and certainly not fair to Bartels to move him behind a freshman who completed less than 40% of his passes (or whatever his final number was). He did a good job under difficult circumstances and hopefully will develop into our QB of the future. Bartels has earned the right to be #1 going into spring ball. We can't afford to lose him with the injury to Mollberg. Until Joe is healthy I think Bartels is clearly the guy.

i think the one reason why joe is/was always ahead of bartels is ryans lack of mobiity...keaton is the man going forward imo unless ryan improves on his footwork and speed in the off season...

I think that is the frustration many have with Joe.  There was a lot of excitement when he turned down the Ag School and had a lot of interest from Iowa and Northern Illinois.  Neither of these guys developed last year as they could have/should have.  Lots of factors but  one of them is going to be our guy going forward and this staff thinks it is Mollberg.  They need to know if they are right or wrong.  There  isn't any game this year that has answered that question, even the MSU game where he played poorly.  I understand the criticism, but your former high school coach  thinks Mollberg is the better QB. I do to so far.  Expectations are very high and dissapointment will be more for Joe and not so much with Ryan.  They both can play, but can Joe be a guy who can carry a team?  Maybe, I still think so, but hell, my opinion is no more valid than say... GFhockey or yours. .  The jury is still out on both of these guys and they both better be ready to play and stay ready to play.  If one isn't playing and pouts, he won't ever be the guy. I think they are both handling this pretty well so far. This staff will never make a decision based on fan opinion and they shouldn't. I think they are both capable of being successful.

What is happening with Mollberg sounds eerily close to our experience with Nick Mertens. Great athletes, smart guys, highly recruited. Both seem/ed to have trouble turning their skills into wins. Mertens never found "it". Wonder if Mollberg ever will?

What is happening with Mollberg sounds eerily close to our experience with Nick Mertens. Great athletes, smart guys, highly recruited. Both seem/ed to have trouble turning their skills into wins. Mertens never found "it". Wonder if Mollberg ever will?

No comparison. He needs to heal and with a better oline, running game, and receivers who run the right routes, don't drop the ball and will attack every ball thrown their way, he will win. So will Bartels and so will Studsrud given time to mature. Our problem this year when Mollberg and Bartels were healthy wasn't the QB. Time will tell. I don't know what happened to Mertens, sometimes you aren't a good fit for a school or system. He might have had success elsewhere but I didn't pay attention to what was going on at the AC. Smart kid, good athlete.