SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Griz Blackout Game Day Thread

geaux_sioux

Your Hendrickson love really confuses me sometimes.  It's like you only remember his raw athleticism and a couple really good games.  What about everything else?  When I think of really good to great UND QB's his name isn't even on the radar.

I think our last "great" QB was Danny Freund.  Before that, it was Kelby Klosterman.

I recognize the improvement  while still seeing how far apart we are from NDSU.  It looks petty and stupid when our fans do the "sneaking up on them" bit...I'm excited to see continued growth every year and believe Bubba can bring us that, especially when he gets his recruits in.

I disagree a somewhat.  Two weeks ago I would have said NDSU would thrash UND but I am not so sure anymore.  NDSU doesn't appear to be as good this year (time will tell) although still a very good team with a pretty average offense.   I don't doubt NDSU would beat us but I doubt they could run up the score with how much the defense has improved.  It is pretty natural for a team that has been riding high like NDSU to start to move back to the pack some because that level of success is pretty much impossible to maintain.  UND was in a low so some upward swing would be expected, it just seems the defense has improved a lot faster than expected by most people. 

It was interesting watching and listening to the TV broadcast because they were talking about the great talent on the UND defense.  Well most of the guys playing were on the roster last year but the defense was terrible.  I think it says more about the coaching staff and the work ethic of the guys that stuck it out, than it does about talent level.  The defense is getting better every week and that isn't improved talent, it's guys knowing what to do and getting the job done. 

But they really were wins in UND fans minds. Maybe, just maybe, Montana didn't bring their A game because it was a game they should have won easily and UND was thinking this was a big game for them. They also left their best receiver and tight end at home and their best (and by a long way their best) QB got hurt and left the game early. Montana didn't look to be into the game just like NDSU didn't look to be in the WIU game today.

I know UND fans like to make fun of the "It's the Super Bowl for whoever is playing NDSU" thought, but it is. Just ask the Montana coach. Before the NDSU game, he said he could say the NDSU game is just another game but he would be lying. A couple of players from Western Illinois said before the game this week that a win against NDSU for be a program changer.

The real test for how far UND has come is later in the season when they are playing an Idaho State or Weber State or Northern Colorado, teams that will have no reason to overlook UND or take a win against UND as a given.

Completely stupid comment.

UND played a close game against Montana and had a very good opportunity to win.

To sell that short is only typical of NDSU fans.

UND is on the rise, and much sooner than most expected.

• Upvote 2

Sorry, but Manke doesn't reach the level of "great".  Neither does Bowenkamp.  Both of those guys were "good" to "very good", but not "great".

Really liked Bowenkamp and never thought he was given enough credit.  I also agree that I wouldn't have considered him great though.

Something about how Joe plays reminds me of Daunte Culpepper.  He can throw a great deep ball but is really inconsistent with accuracy on the short and mid range throws.

I get the criticism before but Mollberg played a very good game today. He drilled about 5 of those passes into tight spots and had 3 drops today. The extra point was a bullet while he had a guy hanging on his left arm. I didn't see what happened on the fumble but he got mauled. Some of those throws into tight spots could get picked but if he doesn't make those throws we don't move the ball. He played well today. Both former Lakers played well today. Labat was a beast on defense.
  • Upvote 1

Really liked Bowenkamp and never thought he was given enough credit.  I also agree that I wouldn't have considered him great though.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I liked Bowenkamp too.  He took us to the 2003 national title game and was driving us down the field to tie it up on our last possession, but was picked off on the 10 yard line or so.  Everytime I watch that highlight, I see one of our guys in the end zone wide open and I get frustrated all over again!  If only Bowenkamp had seen him...... :crazy:

I look forward to the day when we are talking about games like that again.

I get the criticism before but Mollberg played a very good game today. He drilled about 5 of those passes into tight spots and had 3 drops today. The extra point was a bullet while he had a guy hanging on his left arm. I didn't see what happened on the fumble but he got mauled. Some of those throws into tight spots could get picked but if he doesn't make those throws we don't move the ball. He played well today. Both former Lakers played well today. Labat was a beast on defense.

I thought he had a pretty good game today but I did not say he was inaccurate just that it's inconsistent so we end up leaving things on the field.  I know you tend to only focus on the good with Joe and that is fine but certainly will not pretend he doesn't still have some work to do.  He made some very good throws today and some bad throws as well.  I really thought he did a good job in the pocket avoiding pressure most of the day. 

You seem to think the comparison is and insult.  I guess I don't see it that way but it does point to places of potential improvement.

I thought he had a pretty good game today but I did not say he was inaccurate just that it's inconsistent so we end up leaving things on the field.  I know you tend to only focus on the good with Joe and that is fine but certainly will not pretend he doesn't still have some work to do.  He made some very good throws today and some bad throws as well.  I really thought he did a good job in the pocket avoiding pressure most of the day. 

I think Mollberg is getting better, game by game, day by day.  It will be interesting to track his progress throughout the rest of 2014.  Hopefully, he'll use this season as a springboard for 2015.

Serious? Entertaining game but to act like it's going to spearhead us to National Championships is silly. Heading in the right direction and a better brand of football. Let's wait and see how the season plays out

Are you really still pretending to be a UND fan? You were busted last year!

You seem to think the comparison is and insult.  I guess I don't see it that way but it does point to places of potential improvement.

No I also see the games where there are poor reads or missed opportunities. Doesn't mean I would have benched him cuz then we are back to last years mess. Whomever your QB is, they can't be afraid to make plays. He had one terrible pass thrown deep that could have been picked that I have no idea what he was doing. But he stuck the ball into some pretty small spots today with zip on the ball. He threw a couple away and he had the three drops. He missed a short pass on the first series he threw too high. I try and focus on the potential and see if we can develop it. I guess we will see. I'm more familiar with Mollberg and I know he won't throw a teammate under the bus if they run a wrong route or drop a pass. If we have someone who gives us a better chance of winning, get him in there.

Your Hendrickson love really confuses me sometimes. It's like you only remember his raw athleticism and a couple really good games. What about everything else? When I think of really good to great UND QB's his name isn't even on the radar.

He has the most talent to ever come through here at QB. I was proud of how he matured for his senior year and he put on an absolute show against PSU in his first start and and even better one against FBS SDSU. He was the best QB on our roster that year.

Mollberg had a nice second half. He did have about 4 terrible throws. His running on that 3rd down before our blocked fg was awful, was he hurt or just slow? But he made some throws that few guys can make. Absolute dimes. He was clutch and showed some serious balls down the stretch. Like i said before, he needs to build on this and have a complete game next game because if he gets his talent and his mind in sync he will be damn good. He's still a ways away but it can happen out of nowhere and I hope it does.

He has the most talent to ever come through here at QB. I was proud of how he matured for his senior year and he put on an absolute show against PSU in his first start and and even better one against FBS SDSU. He was the best QB on our roster that year.

I liked Hendrickson, but Hanson was better with all the throws..  pocket QB vs mobile QB.  I would take either of them in a heartbeat.  How Joey goofball started over Hendrickson as a Junior I will never understand.  Even in springball before that season Hendrickson looked better than Joey.

Mollberg had a nice second half. He did have about 4 terrible throws. His running on that 3rd down before our blocked fg was awful, was he hurt or just slow? But he made some throws that few guys can make. Absolute dimes. He was clutch and showed some serious balls down the stretch. Like i said before, he needs to build on this and have a complete game next game because if he gets his talent and his mind in sync he will be damn good. He's still a ways away but it can happen out of nowhere and I hope it does.

I see the potential but man at times I am  not sure what is worse pocket presence, accuracy, or decision making.

Completely stupid comment.

UND played a close game against Montana and had a very good opportunity to win.

To sell that short is only typical of NDSU fans.

UND is on the rise, and much sooner than most expected.

At least one Sioux fan admits they are into moral victories. I would have a problem with my starting QB saying after the game that "we outplayed them the entire game" when his offense may not have had 100 yards of total offense in the first 3 quarters. 

I disagree a somewhat.  Two weeks ago I would have said NDSU would thrash UND but I am not so sure anymore.  NDSU doesn't appear to be as good this year (time will tell) although still a very good team with a pretty average offense.   I don't doubt NDSU would beat us but I doubt they could run up the score with how much the defense has improved.  It is pretty natural for a team that has been riding high like NDSU to start to move back to the pack some because that level of success is pretty much impossible to maintain.  UND was in a low so some upward swing would be expected, it just seems the defense has improved a lot faster than expected by most people. 

It was interesting watching and listening to the TV broadcast because they were talking about the great talent on the UND defense.  Well most of the guys playing were on the roster last year but the defense was terrible.  I think it says more about the coaching staff and the work ethic of the guys that stuck it out, than it does about talent level.  The defense is getting better every week and that isn't improved talent, it's guys knowing what to do and getting the job done. 

NDSU will lose a game or two in the MVFC this year and UND will win a game or two in the BSC this year. It doesn't mean the gap is closing. NDSU lost games they shouldn't have in some of their National title years and UND won some BSC games those same years. The gap didn't close those years. 

I liked Hendrickson, but Hanson was better with all the throws.. pocket QB vs mobile QB. I would take either of them in a heartbeat. How Joey goofball started over Hendrickson as a Junior I will never understand. Even in springball before that season Hendrickson looked better than Joey.

Braden was good, but Marcus was better. Braden made some bad mistakes on big plays. The team wanted Marcus to stay the starter, that's very telling.

NDSU will lose a game or two in the MVFC this year and UND will win a game or two in the BSC this year. It doesn't mean the gap is closing. NDSU lost games they shouldn't have in some of their National title years and UND won some BSC games those same years. The gap didn't close those years. 

Going off topic here, I was kind of surprised that Western Illinois made it so close.  I'd still be surprised to see FU lose a game, much less two, this year.  

I don't believe in "moral victories" myself.  Whether it be UND for coming close against Montana or even Western Ill coming up close in yesterday's game.  However, i do believe I am seeing a trend in UND's football program.  The biggest is in not giving up and following a game plan laid out by a competent coaching staff.  If this continues, the gap between UND and Fargo will grow smaller in a relatively short period of time.