SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance for Saturday

Risky

Wrong. I've said it before and I'll say it again. NDSU pulls away 1000 fans from out west and up north; those fans use to go to UND games.

NDSU needs to be competed with. Yes UND needs to win, but having NDSU win national championships every season doesn't help either.

Pretending NDSU isn't apart of the equation is just wishful thinking.

It's not FU winning. It is last year people got tired of driving to see games over by halftime. Those fans need to see consistent efforts like the last few weeks before they start making the trips again.

• Upvote 4

Wrong. I've said it before and I'll say it again. NDSU pulls away 1000 fans from out west and up north; those fans use to go to UND games.

NDSU needs to be competed with. Yes UND needs to win, but having NDSU win national championships every season doesn't help either.

Pretending NDSU isn't apart of the equation is just wishful thinking.

I agree.

I also agree with others that it isn't something Bubba can focus on, he can only focus on winning.  But I guarantee the goings on at the ac are something the marketing department keeps an eye on.  They are competing for some of the same dollars.  And I'd say your 1k figure is probably pretty accurate.

Unfortunately, the trend for several years now is for attendance to decline as the season progresses and regardless of how the team plays it's next two games, I see the attendance ceiling to be about 8,000-ish for the last two games.

Grand Forks is a tough crowd to win over and even a win over EWU would not be impressive to the casual fans that we need to draw in. I think beating Montana and Montana St. would have probably caught the attention of those fans, but SUU & EWU won't do that. I know EWU is the #2 team in the nation, but most casual observers don't.

I think to see a real growth in attendance, this program is going to have to start winning 8+ games a year, make the playoffs and be ranked in the Top 10. Until then, I think crowds of 7,000-9,000 are going to be the norm, with the occaisonal season opener or Potato Bowl cracking 10,000.

I was very disheartened by the homecoming crowd this weekend. Bubba and Schmidt must be bewildered with what the environment is like in the Alerus now compared to what it was like when they left.

And don't get me started on the deer hunting thing. A deer in North Dakota can be killed on any one of 125 consecutive days. North Dakota football can be watched 6 days.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, the trend for several years now is for attendance to decline as the season progresses and regardless of how the team plays it's next two games, I see the attendance ceiling to be about 8,000-ish for the last two games.

Grand Forks is a tough crowd to win over and even a win over EWU would not be impressive to the casual fans that we need to draw in. I think beating Montana and Montana St. would have probably caught the attention of those fans, but SUU & EWU won't do that. I know EWU is the #2 team in the nation, but most casual observers don't.

I think to see a real growth in attendance, this program is going to have to start winning 8+ games a year, make the playoffs and be ranked in the Top 10. Until then, I think crowds of 7,000-9,000 are going to be the norm, with the occaisonal season opener or Potato Bowl cracking 10,000.

I was very disheartened by the homecoming crowd this weekend. Bubba and Schmidt must be bewildered with what the environment is like in the Alerus now compared to what it was like when they left.

And don't get me started on the deer hunting thing. A deer in North Dakota can be killed on any one of 125 consecutive days. North Dakota football can be watched 6 days.

My feelings exactly. This is the most-often invoked excuse in Grand Forks for people not supporting the FB team. When Blais was first hired in 1994 to turn around the MH team and the first couple of years were .500 years, some people even used the hunting opener excuse for a half-full Old REA. It is time to bury this excuse and then bury the shovel along with it.

125 days, really? Wonder why I have always gone in November?

Bow season starts August 29 and goes into January. Muzzle loader starts late November and goes into mid December. Rifle in the heart of November. Plus you can use your vehicle year round. Lots of opportunities to kill deer during the year.......

I can speak for myself on this. I don't bow hunt or own a muzzle loader....I was lucky enough to draw a buck tag in section 2b this year. I work Monday thru Friday so I will be out hunting on the weekends with 96.1 on the radio.

First thing that comes to mind when I read things like this: decrease the size of the student section!

Those people that sit over on the 30 and 20 yard lines would love to move over to the other side and sit at the 50, so I don't buy that garbage about how there isn't a big enough demand yet.

Until the students are always packed in, they shouldn't get a bunch of the best seats just so they can stay empty for half of the football game.

First thing that comes to mind when I read things like this: decrease the size of the student section!

Those people that sit over on the 30 and 20 yard lines would love to move over to the other side and sit at the 50, so I don't buy that garbage about how there isn't a big enough demand yet.

Until the students are always packed in, they shouldn't get a bunch of the best seats just so they can stay empty for half of the football game.

Exactly!!!

And spread the rest of the general public out? I'd completely understand taking student sections away if there was demand for them, but there just isn't enough demand in grand forks to justify it. Those sections that you propose moving are rarely full anyways.. And for the most part, the sections on the 50 are more full for students as opposed to the ones off to the side.

You move us down you also take away us heckling the players on the bench too. I suppose you probably dont care about that at all, but that is part of the fun for us.

• Upvote 2

A section on the 50 yard line should not be empty; it makes the Alerus and UND football look bad.

Student sections should be placed on the 20 or 30 yard line, just like NDSU. Then, the students can still chant inappropriate things at the opposing team if they wish.

No reason to have a huge section of empty seats at midfield! That is so idiotic and irrational it truthfully upsets me.

A section on the 50 yard line should not be empty; it makes the Alerus and UND football look bad.

Student sections should be placed on the 20 or 30 yard line, just like NDSU. Then, the students can still chant inappropriate things at the opposing team if they wish.

No reason to have a huge section of empty seats at midfield! That is so idiotic and irrational it truthfully upsets me.

Maybe because it's their school and they pay athletics fees...
  • Upvote 1

And spread the rest of the general public out? I'd completely understand taking student sections away if there was demand for them, but there just isn't enough demand in grand forks to justify it. Those sections that you propose moving are rarely full anyways.. And for the most part, the sections on the 50 are more full for students as opposed to the ones off to the side.

You move us down you also take away us heckling the players on the bench too. I suppose you probably dont care about that at all, but that is part of the fun for us.

I agree with this. There are open seats in the 40 yard line, same side. Once attendance increases enough that those sections are full, the discussion can be had with the students. Perhaps give the students the lower section on the 50 and other 40 yard line and the general public the upper.

Now is not the time to do anything that could push students away.