SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

Gophers had a chance to grab full control of the west yesterday and let it slip right through again. Just inexcusable to lose that game to Illinois. These situations have been far too common under PJ. Iowa and Wisconsin in 2019, Illinois and Iowa in 2021, Purdue in 2022, and now Northwestern and Illinois in 2023. They just can't get over the top.

6 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Gophers had a chance to grab full control of the west yesterday and let it slip right through again. Just inexcusable to lose that game to Illinois. These situations have been far too common under PJ. Iowa and Wisconsin in 2019, Illinois and Iowa in 2021, Purdue in 2022, and now Northwestern and Illinois in 2023. They just can't get over the top.

Look at the teams that you mentioned at the end.  Its the most bizarre situation.  He's swung the Wisconsin rivarly back in Minnesota's direction and Finally broke through against Iowa.  But then lose to team that they just have no business losing to.

He needs to look in the mirror and wonder if he needs to change his philosophy a little bit, but I also wonder..... does he thinks: "I have maxed out what I can do here"

5 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Look at the teams that you mentioned at the end.  Its the most bizarre situation.  He's swung the Wisconsin rivarly back in Minnesota's direction and Finally broke through against Iowa.  But then lose to team that they just have no business losing to.

He needs to look in the mirror and wonder if he needs to change his philosophy a little bit, but I also wonder..... does he thinks: "I have maxed out what I can do here"

He definitely needs to adapt. He is so concerned with time of possession and so risk averse it makes every game close. Sure that might keep you in a game against a team with more talent than you but when you are playing a less talented team or similar it keeps the game close as well and reduces your margin for error.

My biggest frustration yesterday would be with the defense and Rossi basically taking a half to get out of soft zone coverage that Illinois was picking apart. Gotta adapt quicker, I get you are worried about the QB run which didn't happen very much at all but you are a terrible zone coverage team so take your chances with man looks.

The other part was the 3rd and 9 run at the 22 from PJ playing for the FG and with the passing game clicking not trying to get into FG range with about 30 seconds left from your 30 before half. Then out of half you have that huge drop in the endzone from Crooms after the strip sack and then basically went to run on 1st and 2nd down the rest of the quarter. It made no sense you had so much success with the early down passing game in the 1st half. The 3rd and 1 slow developing outside zone was so dumb too, Illinois absolutely loaded the box and knew what was coming and not only do you stick on the ground you go with a slow play outside zone. If you really want to run there go with the QB push that you get 2+ on every time you do it. I will give them credit I loved the 3rd and 4 call in the 4th and Athan had a chance to end it but made a terrible throw. He is improving a lot but had a couple key mistakes and missing that 3rd and 4 and the play before you run sideways on the 2nd down instead of get upfield probably cost you a 1st down there too. I sometimes think PJ is more concerned with eating clock than scoring points. 

Fleck also absolutely needs to fire Wenger. Putting Tyler the fumbler back at returner yesterday and your return sucks to start with and you fumble the opening kick.

44 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If we win our last two games, I think we have a shot.

I guess I’m thinking 1 and 1 in last 2 

hope I’m wrong

so if we are 8 and 3 and ndsu is 8 and 3 who gets seeded AD Larson?

1 hour ago, Kab said:

I guess I’m thinking 1 and 1 in last 2 

hope I’m wrong

so if we are 8 and 3 and ndsu is 8 and 3 who gets seeded AD Larson?

After Patti publicly dressed down Larsen more than once?
Our SOS, best win and head to head would definitely point to UND.
I'd like our chances but have to control what we can control. Starts Saturday.

• Upvote 3