SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

The word is spiel I believe.

They'll be back... At some point. I'm thinking they should put the shirts away and make them earn it back.

I'm not a big Nebraska fan but I do support college football royalty. College football is significantly better when Nebraska, Michigan, ND, Oklahoma etc. are relevant.

Indeed it is, but it's one of the few words I like to mis-spell because it doesn't look right.  :)

Nebraska with a nice comeback that falls short...45-42.

Like any big program that's well funded and has a massive fan base it will be easy for him to bring them back to the top 25 but can he get them to #1. That's what that fan base is craving/expecting. It's the same with UND hockey anything less than a Championship is garbage and you can forget about it if you don't finish in the top five in the nation. Daunting task for anybody but I imagine Harbaugh knows exactly what he's getting himself into.

Like any big program that's well funded and has a massive fan base it will be easy for him to bring them back to the top 25 but can he get them to #1. That's what that fan base is craving/expecting. It's the same with UND hockey anything less than a Championship is garbage and you can forget about it if you don't finish in the top five in the nation. Daunting task for anybody but I imagine Harbaugh knows exactly what he's getting himself into.

Michigan has won 11 national championships in football, but only 1 since 1948 (and that was in 1997).  The legendary coach Bo Schembechler won exactly ZERO national championships.  What Michigan fans expect is to consistently win Big 10 conference championships and be one of the top teams in the country every year.  Suffering home blow-out losses to schools like Utah and Minnesota is not in the equation.

By comparison, Ohio State recognizes 7 national championships but only 1 since 1970 (that being 2002), yet everybody pretty much still recognizes the Buckeyes as a national football powerhouse.

Michigan has won 11 national championships in football, but only 1 since 1948 (and that was in 1997). The legendary coach Bo Schembechler won exactly ZERO national championships. What Michigan fans expect is to consistently win Big 10 conference championships and be one of the top teams in the country every year. Suffering home blow-out losses to schools like Utah and Minnesota is not in the equation.

By comparison, Ohio State recognizes 7 national championships but only 1 since 1970 (that being 2002), yet everybody pretty much still recognizes the Buckeyes as a national football powerhouse.

Well let's face it D-1 national championships are kind of a farce with no playoff. Obviously, that's improving now. If you consistently landed in top 5 the past 40 years I'd consider it to be a national powerhouse too. Which I guess would be the difference between D-1 hockey and D-1 football. Your right though Big ten championships are expected at Michigan. This season was one of the worst for them.

Even classier that Bielema denied making the gesture and claimed that the picture was photo-shopped...but there is also video showing the gesture...

He would be a complete douche if his wife wasn't so smoking hot...........

Even classier that Bielema denied making the gesture and claimed that the picture was photo-shopped...but there is also video showing the gesture...

Rumor has it he left Wisconsin cause his wife caught him cheating which was total unsubstantiated. Until, she started tweeting about how she hated Wisconsin and was happy they got beat by some low level team. At any rate he has a history of classless behavior so this doesn't shock me.

Well let's face it D-1 national championships are kind of a farce with no playoff. Obviously, that's improving now. If you consistently landed in top 5 the past 40 years I'd consider it to be a national powerhouse too. Which I guess would be the difference between D-1 hockey and D-1 football. Your right though Big ten championships are expected at Michigan. This season was one of the worst for them.

Wouldn't call them a farce. High value on regular season. It's damn tough to have the best season. Notre Dame claims 11. Only 4 in the last 50 years.

Regardless, there traditional powerhouses all come back in vogue. Wouldn't be shocked to see ND or Michigan win a title in the next 5 years.

Now that there is a playoff of sorts, maybe the annual genuflecting to an SEC team will come to an end.

Just a rant - I am so tired of hearing that the SEC is the be-all, end-all, only conference that ESPN thinks should be given national football championships.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't call them a farce. High value on regular season. It's damn tough to have the best season. Notre Dame claims 11. Only 4 in the last 50 years.

Regardless, there traditional powerhouses all come back in vogue. Wouldn't be shocked to see ND or Michigan win a title in the next 5 years.

Here we go with the "a national playoff would ruin the almighty, all-important regular season" BS; that notion was exposed to be a big, fat, steaming pile of crap this year.  The 4-team playoff did nothing to diminish the regular season, if anything it made the regular season more important.  And it took those biased, asinine polls out of the equation.  The AP and Coaches Polls should have zero bearing on who wins a championship.  Finally, they are getting closer to getting it right.

• Upvote 1

Now that there is a playoff of sorts, maybe the annual genuflecting to an SEC team will come to an end.

Just a rant - I am so tired of hearing that the SEC is the be-all, end-all, only conference that ESPN thinks should be given national football championships.

No doubt. Remember the great Michigan/Ohio State game a few years back when both teams were undefeated coming into the game and the argument for Florida being selected over Michigan for the NCAA championship game was that Michigan didn't win its conference? Flash forward a few years and that conference champion preference goes right out the window and an Alabama team that didn't win the SEC gets selected for a rematch against LSU in the title game despite losing AT HOME to the Tigers a few weeks earlier.

I'm no Buckeye fan but I hope they pound Alabama.

Brian Kelly has so much respect for Everett Golson that he's been named the back-up QB for tomorrow's Irish bowl game loss against LSU...

We've had two years of Everett. He is regressing. Only way to see if Zaire is capable at all is to give him a shot.

Really amazing/sad how Everett went from All America candidate to whatever words you want to describe his play by the end of the year.

If the Irish don't win ten games next year, Kelly might be gone. Something tells me the next few years decide everything for ND.

Tough to win with student athletes when other schools let guys who can't spell University of Alabama... Much less Tuscaloosa play for them.

Tough to win with student athletes when other schools let guys who can't spell University of Alabama... Much less Tuscaloosa play for them.

Oh please.  Pretending to be the "good guy" and feigning shock at cheating allegations...covering up and delaying the news release of a Heisman Trophy candidate's fake girlfriend dying in order to preserve the school's reputation (not to mention potentially garnering sympathy votes for that Heisman candidate)...continuing with a practice for almost 30 minutes AFTER a kid filming it in 40-50 mile an hour winds dies after the scissor lift he is on tips over...

18j56mcm2pxhcjpg.jpg

...and bungling a sexual assault investigation so badly that it would make Florida State University campus police blush (not to mention the victim in the matter killing herself)...

http://ncronline.org/news/accountability/reported-sexual-assault-notre-dame-campus-leaves-more-questions-answers

Please, please, keep reminding me how much "better" Notre Dame is than everyone else.

Oh please. Pretending to be the "good guy" and feigning shock at cheating allegations...covering up and delaying the news release of a Heisman Trophy candidate's fake girlfriend dying in order to preserve the school's reputation (not to mention potentially garnering sympathy votes for that Heisman candidate)...continuing with a practice for almost 30 minutes AFTER a kid filming it in 40-50 mile an hour winds dies after the scissor lift he is on tips over...

18j56mcm2pxhcjpg.jpg

...and bungling a sexual assault investigation so badly that it would make Florida State University campus police blush (not to mention the victim in the matter killing herself)...

http://ncronline.org/news/accountability/reported-sexual-assault-notre-dame-campus-leaves-more-questions-answers

Please, please, keep reminding me how much "better" Notre Dame is than everyone else.

Easy to use hindsight. Fact of the matter is, Notre Dame is better than everyone else who has any sort of dreams about winning a national title... Right with Stanford.

Not without faults.... Service academies have big academic misconducts from time to time.

You'll never see something like what UNC did at Notre Dame. You will never have a USC type thing happen there.

Just cause the school you support has a proud proud history of being douchey towards Notre Dame doesn't mean you need to be the next Yost.

Easy to use hindsight.

Just cause the school you support has a proud proud history of being douchey towards Notre Dame doesn't mean you need to be the next Yost.

Easy to use hindsight with respect to what? Allowing the Te'o story to actually be released after the hoax had been confirmed instead of waiting until weeks later? Or are we talking about the police speaking with a player who apparently sent a text message to an alleged sexual assault victim warning her of the consequences of messing with Notre Dame football?

Melinda Henneberger isn't some University of Michigan hack looking for revenge against the Fighting Irish. She's a Notre Dame graduate (class of 1980)...and Lizzy Seeberg wasn't some Notre Dame hater...she was a big Fighting Irish fan.

Easy to use hindsight with respect to what? Allowing the Te'o story to actually be released after the hoax had been confirmed instead of waiting until weeks later? Or are we talking about the police speaking with a player who apparently sent a text message to an alleged sexual assault victim warning her of the consequences of messing with Notre Dame football?

Melinda Henneberger isn't some University of Michigan hack looking for revenge against the Fighting Irish. She's a Notre Dame graduate (class of 1980)...and Lizzy Seeberg wasn't some Notre Dame hater...she was a big Fighting Irish fan.

Every school has bad eggs. And every school makes mistakes. Some schools are better than the vast majority and Notre Dame is among those.

We'll see if they are willing to change that in order to be a better football program

Every school has bad eggs. And every school makes mistakes. Some schools are better than the vast majority and Notre Dame is among those.

We'll see if they are willing to change that in order to be a better football program

OK, you keep dancing around what's obviously an uncomfortable issue for you and the leadership at Notre Dame...I'm talking about sexual assault and you're deflecting attention to academic cheating (UNC) and improper benefits (USC). Do you have any comments at all about Lt Frank Drebin and the rest of The Naked Gun cops in charge of that investigation?

I'm not picking on ND either...for the record, I think Jameis Winston's antics and Jimbo's constant going to bat for him are both despicable.

OK, you keep dancing around what's obviously an uncomfortable issue for you and the leadership at Notre Dame...I'm talking about sexual assault and you're deflecting attention to academic cheating (UNC) and improper benefits (USC). Do you have any comments at all about Lt Frank Drebin and the rest of The Naked Gun cops in charge of that investigation?

I'm not picking on ND either...for the record, I think Jameis Winston's antics and Jimbo's constant going to bat for him are both despicable.

It was a disappointing situation and its embarrassing as a fan of Notre Dame and I imagine that it's equally or more embarrassing for the University and those involved with the football program.  Unfortunately, that crap happens everywhere.  I can say I know guys and girls that has happened to, probably has happened to some on this forum.  Honestly, I think the University handled that one badly.  I think, by looking at how they handled the guys investigated for academic misconduct, they'd likely handle it differently if it happens again.

It was a disappointing situation and its embarrassing as a fan of Notre Dame and I imagine that it's equally or more embarrassing for the University and those involved with the football program. Unfortunately, that crap happens everywhere. I can say I know guys and girls that has happened to, probably has happened to some on this forum. Honestly, I think the University handled that one badly. I think, by looking at how they handled the guys investigated for academic misconduct, they'd likely handle it differently if it happens again.

That's your opinion, fair enough. I still think Notre Dame could re-open this investigation immediately if they wanted to - but there is a better chance of the Fighting Irish taking the field wearing maize and blue uniforms before that happens.