SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp

UND Fan

They can only fill one of those dates. From my understanding, if things don't work out with FU, Brian is close to an agreement elsewhere. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Absolutely. 2015 and 2017 open dates would allow for a nice FCS home and home if NDSU don't step up to the plate. Would be nice to schedule a home and home with MVFC team, like SDSU, UNI, or SIU.

I think the whole attitude is different with Bubba than with Muss. I think Bubba will have everyone's head in the game and not goofing off on the sidelines.

I would sure hope Bubba instills confidence, workman-like effort, and discipline, because Mussman sure didn't.

In a game like San Jose State coming off a 3-8 season, Mussman would have the team "hoping" they don't get blown out. Well, I'm afraid that doesn't work in football. Look at NDSU and Eastern Washington's blue-print vs. FBS teams.

Also, too many of Mussman's players quit on plays, committed stupid penalties, and goofed off on the sidelines.

Those kind of things are unacceptable and characteristic of bad teams.

Bubba will likely straighten those things out, giving UND a chance in most, if not all, games. UND may not win many this year, but they will likely be competitive in most/all. In a year or two, wins will replace those close games. 

I would sure hope Bubba instills confidence, workman-like effort, and discipline, because Mussman sure didn't.

In a game like San Jose State coming off a 3-8 season, Mussman would have the team "hoping" they don't get blown out. Well, I'm afraid that doesn't work in football. Look at NDSU and Eastern Washington's blue-print vs. FBS teams.

Also, too many of Mussman's players quit on plays, committed stupid penalties, and goofed off on the sidelines.

Bubba will likely straighten those things out, giving UND a chance in most, if not all, games. UND may not win many this year, but they will likely be competitive in most/all. In a year or two, wins will replace those close games. 

I like the attitude of coach Pryor of the volleyball team, he is putting a team to not get into the NCAA Tournament, but WIN in the NCAA tournament. When you have a coach with that much confidence it will rub off. Bubba can do that, Muss couldn't do it.

Its amazing how UND went from being a DII team in 2006 and 2007 beating FCS teams (even destroying Southern Utah), to losing to DII Sioux Falls, and having two 3 win seasons in 4 years. Nice hole Muss, now to climb out and get some respect back.

Its amazing how UND went from being a DII team in 2006 and 2007 beating FCS teams (even destroying Southern Utah), to losing to DII Sioux Falls, and having two 3 win seasons in 4 years. Nice hole Muss, now to climb out and get some respect back.

Absolutely; from 2006/2007 to 2009, UND football nosedived in terms of the product on the field. Lennon could lead and recruit, Mussman could not. Now, lets hope Bubba gets UND back to the type of football they are more than capable of. At this point, it appears Bubba has UND back on the right track. 

It is very easy to dump on Muss now.  But lets have some honesty.

Yay or Nay:

Who publicly supported Muss when he was hired, thought he would do a good job, and was totally and utterly wrong about that?

Yay

Considering he had been the OC for 7 years and an assistant head coach for 4 on some pretty successful teams, I thought he was a good choice at the time.  Not sure what kind of talent an outside search would have brought with the first year of transition coming up either.

Considering he had been the OC for 7 years and an assistant head coach for 4 on some pretty successful teams, I thought he was a good choice at the time.  Not sure what kind of talent an outside search would have brought with the first year of transition coming up either.

hind sight = 20/20.  I am just glad he is gone and we are moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

It is very easy to dump on Muss now. But lets have some honesty.

Yay or Nay:

Who publicly supported Muss when he was hired, thought he would do a good job, and was totally and utterly wrong about that?

Yay

In 2011 he did a very good job. In 2012 he did an ok job. If he had coached every year like he did in 2011 he'd still be the coach. He wasn't a consistent leader though, that was his problem from day 1. At the beginning and end of his tenure the players ran the show. For two years he ran the show. He also wasn't great at projecting leadership to the media.

In 2011 he did a very good job. In 2012 he did an ok job. If he had coached every year like he did in 2011 he'd still be the coach. He wasn't a consistent leader though, that was his problem from day 1. At the beginning and end of his tenure the players ran the show. For two years he ran the show. He also wasn't great at projecting leadership to the media.

In 2011, the team excelled despite Mussman. Remember the QB situation, Idaho, and SIOUX FALLS.

In 2008, when Mussman was promoted, I was cautiously optimistic. Many buddies of mine were scared of the hire because of his personality and demeanor. In the end, they were right. His stature isn't that of a head coach/leader/disciplinarian.

Considering he had been the OC for 7 years and an assistant head coach for 4 on some pretty successful teams, I thought he was a good choice at the time. Not sure what kind of talent an outside search would have brought with the first year of transition coming up either.

UND the final D2 years before transitioning were solid and NDSU was having success at that time in their transition; making an outside hire would've been the best move because someone worthy would've stepped up.

However, with the athletic department in disarray with no AD and Lennon leaving, UND made the lazy move and just promoted.