SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp

UND Fan

Tauberheim: I was worried when we finally had to say good-bye to Zeb. However, after watching Tauberheim kick FGs, I think we'll be in good hands -- or feet, if you will. I have not seen enough of him on kick-offs, so I can't comment there.

Bakker: I'm always worried when a guy's football origins are out of Europe. I don't care if it's on an American Air Base in Germany; the fact of the matter is that the true American football culture is not engrained over there at all. American football here in the USA is second nature to most of us, like hockey in Canada and soccer everywhere else outside of North America.

All that said: Bakker has got it. I don't know where he got it or how, but he plays smart and with great intensity. He looks big on the field -- bigger than I thought he'd be -- and he plays even bigger. Sound tackler, who wraps up and plays to the whistle.

Carrothers: he's holding his own quite nicely against the other big boys in the trenches. He flies around and plays on the edge. He gives up a bit in the size department, comparatively speaking, but plays bigger; he plays the way we would want all of our DLs to play.

Tauberheim: I was worried when we finally had to say good-bye to Zeb. However, after watching Tauberheim kick FGs, I think we'll be in good hands -- or feet, if you will. I have not seen enough of him on kick-offs, so I can't comment there.

Bakker: I'm always worried when a guy's football origins are out of Europe. I don't care if it's on an American Air Base in Germany; the fact of the matter is that the true American football culture is not engrained over there at all. American football here in the USA is second nature to most of us, like hockey in Canada and soccer everywhere else outside of North America.

All that said: Bakker has got it. I don't know where he got it or how, but he plays smart and with great intensity. He looks big on the field -- bigger than I thought he'd be -- and he plays even bigger. Sound tackler, who wraps up and plays to the whistle.

Carrothers: he's holding his own quite nicely against the other big boys in the trenches. He flies around and plays on the edge. He gives up a bit in the size department, comparatively speaking, but plays bigger; he plays the way we would want all of our DLs to play.

Thanks. I really liked the way Bakker moved on his film. Also Taubenheim should be better than Zeb. Finally, Carrothers is a lunch pail guy and an outstanding kid I want to see him well and think he will.

I know these QBs are still young but I don't like hearing that they are struggling in camp. Mollberg was unbelievably hyped out of HS and Bartels was fairly highly touted too. I guess I will have to see how they perform during the season.

I don't remember Bartels's story as much as Muss proclaiming Molberg the best recruit for UND in the last 20 years. there has been a lot of good players that have come and gone in 20 years.........ah Muss.

I don't remember Bartels's story as much as Muss proclaiming Molberg the best recruit for UND in the last 20 years. there has been a lot of good players that have come and gone in 20 years.........ah Muss.

Mussman was an idiot both on and off the field. Bubba appears to be light-years ahead of Mussman in terms of common sense and off-the-field communication/leadership. Now only time will tell if Bubba is competent on the field.

Molberg was a pretty prized recruit. Had quite a few B1G teams interested and likely would have had an offer for Iowa had he not hurt his ankle his senior year. Craig Bohl kept recruiting him even after he verballed to UND, including calling him from TCF Bank Stadium right before kickoff in one of the NDSU/UM games. Not saying the results have been equivalent to what the hype was (albeit very, very early in his college career), but at the time Molberg picked UND, it was a big deal.

• Upvote 1

Molberg was a pretty prized recruit. Had quite a few B1G teams interested and likely would have had an offer for Iowa had he not hurt his ankle his senior year. Craig Bohl kept recruiting him even after he verballed to UND, including calling him from TCF Bank Stadium right before kickoff in one of the NDSU/UM games. Not saying the results have been equivalent to what the hype was (albeit very, very early in his college career), but at the time Molberg picked UND, it was a big deal.

Still is a big deal. Kid has all the tools and should develop into one our best ever. Coaches are impressed with his skills and as he develops as a leader and we improve as a team I predict you will see why Mussman, Bohl, and the others were high on him. He has done nothing to temper the enthusiasm as an excellent recruit.

Still is a big deal. Kid has all the tools and should develop into one our best ever. Coaches are impressed with his skills and as he develops as a leader and we improve as a team I predict you will see why Mussman, Bohl, and the others were high on him. He has done nothing to temper the enthusiasm as an excellent recruit.

Mollberg was a bit rocky last season, but so was the entire team due to poor scheme, philosophy, and coaching. Ultimately, I would like to think Mollberg will be much improved this year after gaining valuable experience as a starter and now operating an offense that actually utilizes a hard-nosed running attack and play-action game.

He needs to improve upon his 2013 touchdown-to-interception ratio if UND is to make it to 0.500

Hmmmm none of the returning players are in shorts.... Must be in shape.... Kudos to coach Baukol.

I'm not a doctor and I don't pretend to play one on TV and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I think your're right. It appears most of the issues are the result of young players learning how to practice at this level.

From Tom Miller:

Hopefully with 2 a day practices we will see some separation in key positions like RB, and QB.

molberg has the physical advantage, Bartels has the mental advantage, at least for now. it will be interesting to see what is more important as it pertains to the new offense

Anybody seen CB Chris Carter in action at camp how is he??

From what I hear he may have the opportunity to get his red shirt pulled. He has been impressive so far from what I have heard. Wouldn't surprise me, he was my favorite recruit out of this class and that iincludes JUCO transfers.

Does UND use a Nickel ?

Yes, UND does use defensive sub-packages, including the nickel defense. In the Big Sky Conference, where several teams like to spread it out and go 4 and 5 wide, having a nickel package is key.

Although Chris Carter could see playing time at the 3rd corner spot and in the nickel, there is a very good chance that he could be the #2 corner and start with the base 3-4 defense.