SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp

UND Fan

Albeit the defense should be farther ahead of the offense at this point, I like how the defense is playing so far.

I think the coaching emphasis on defense along with the pressure they apply will greatly help the defense. I sure hope UND's defense can surprise a lot of people this year and be darn good.

Kicking game was shaky today. I have to eat crow on Tauberheim. After I hyped him up earlier this week, he struggled mightily today, and they even put Meindel in to kick FGs and PATs at one point. Of the pure kickers, Fluegge had the better day.

Keep up the good work. What type of videos will we be treated to this year? I assume there's no opening drive? Will the my story videos be for all of the seniors?

We will have a few more of the "My Story" features during fall camp, but those won't be exclusive to seniors.

RP_UND. What is your opinion on key position battles?

This is the most competitive camp I've seen in the four years I've been here. I won't get into specifics, but there are some good ongoing battles and it'll be interesting to see the results come Aug. 28.

Was able to go watch for an hour today. Missed the 1st teams reps at the beginning. Also noticed there was a handful of guys in just shorts and not participating. Off the top of my head: Carr, Simmons, Cerriteno, Garman (had his ankle/calf taped up) for the offense. I know I missed a few as well. Couldn't quite see everyone on the defensive side, they were on the far side. I know that Tank Harris and Jenkins-Moore weren't in along with a handful of others.

Thought that Brandon Walker played well, did reps with the 1's, 2's and maybe even 3's. Bailed out Bartels with a nice catch in traffic and then beat the DB on a corner route and hauled one in. As stated, Shaugs busted a real nice run. The TE were involved, have a feeling we'll be seeing some short dump offs to them. They rotated quite a few through, wow does that position group have some serious height. Hopefully we are able to take advantage of that.

On the defensive side, seems that Idowu was around the ball and making some plays. The defense definitely looked better than the offense from what I saw. It was nice to see them buzzing again, excited to see the pressure they are going to be able to bring with the 3-4 in some experienced hands.

Was also impressed with the coaching staff and how they were handling the scrimmage, making sure everyone stayed engaged. Kostich was fun to watch, I hope we can keep him around for a while, I think he's going to end up being a good one.

Who had the most time at center? Did any unproven OL step up today?

I didn't see a ton of the 1st team, but it looked to be the same as it was earlier in the week. Not sure if Anderson was dinged up but he looked off a little bit today which was surprising. The 2nd and 3rd team OL looks like they need to keep working. From where I was, it was tough to tell if any of them were stepping up, but seems like a a complete unit, both of them struggled against the 2nd and 3rd team D in comparison to how the 1st team was doing against the 1st team D.

Defense is more athletic and faster, moved to ball much better. Tackled much better. DB Corners weren't playing off 15 yds then backpedling at the snap. Labat started at OLB and had a good day. Had two pass break ups. O-line needs to get quicker and didn't have good day. QB' s didn't have much time and running game wasn't good. Mollberg was better QB. Threw pick 6 on what looked like an out route that receiver broke up field on. Bartels didn't look like the same guy he was last year. Had a couple of potential picks dropped by d-backs and threw poor pass for the one intercepted. He had a couple of nice runs when protection broke down. . Stensrud threw ball well and ran well for a rookie but not ready. Carter looks like he will be playing. We lack breakaway speed on offense. Noticed Fiedler at TE spread out in some sets. Made play early. They need to follow Bubba's plan and get better everyday. O-line needs to develop some confidence and a nastier attitude.

This is the most competitive camp I've seen in the four years I've been here. I won't get into specifics, but there are some good ongoing battles and it'll be interesting to see the results come Aug. 28.

By my response, I was referring to the position battles being the most competitive I've seen because all jobs are open with the new staff. The players on this roster have always competed hard.

Gotta love the authority in Bubba as he talks to his team. You can tell he's the boss and demands respect. He's so soft spoken with the media that it's tough to imagine him being good and talking to his teams. This is the opposite of Mussman who never really seemed to project absolute confidence.

Gotta love the authority in Bubba as he talks to his team. You can tell he's the boss and demands respect. He's so soft spoken with the media that it's tough to imagine him being good and talking to his teams. This is the opposite of Mussman who never really seemed to project absolute confidence.

Mussman's communication skills were not good. They were one of the things that had me doubting if he could be a successful head coach...then 2012 and 2013 happened.

I may be nitpicking here, but one of the things I miss from previous football seasons is the team photo that was typically posted on the UND athletics’ website. It was nice to see the team photo above the roster but that hasn’t been posted for the past few seasons.

Anyway that could make a comeback?

Nevertheless, great job on the fall camp coverage and keep up the good work!

Thanks and GO UND!

Maybe this article was posted and I missed it but I love this quote:

GFH: UND FOOTBALL: Focus on running game

“We lost a lot of talent, a lot of brothers who left us,” Shaugabay said. “It’s sad to see them go, but I care a lot about this university, and if they didn’t care as much as me, and they don’t want to be here, then I guess they shouldn’t be here.”

The running backs have joined the rest of the team holding voluntary team stretches at 6:30 a.m. to get prepared for the day of practice ahead.

“Right now, there’s more of a sense of urgency from the coaches,” Shaugabay said. “The tempo is up. Everything is about the details. We have to keep our composure and keep disciplined. They are really stressing discipline. Last year, we got ourselves caught with some bad penalties.”

And I love the attitude the new staff is taking toward rebuilding this program to where it should be.

GFH: UND FOOTBALL: Bubba isn’t ready to hand over any jobs

And, according to defensive coordinator Eric Schmidt, the staff isn’t going to be playing any favorites when it comes to handing out spots on the depth chart.

“We really preach that there’s no class system,” Schmidt said. “You don’t play because you’re a senior. If you’re better, we’ll play you. My job is not to take care of you; it’s to do what’s best for the team. Do you take us closer to becoming a championship defense, or do you take us farther away?”

Just wondering what exactly the helmet logos signify if anything? I notice that some players have the logo on while others do not.

Nothing really. Some have stickers from year before whereas others are new and don't have the stickers on yet.

No use to put stickers on til game 1, otherwise you could have to unnecessarily replace them during fall camp.