SiouxSports.com Forum

Injuries 2014

darell1976

Although I have never been and never will be a fan of his, maybe we need to move Henson back over to NG for some depth and have Brandon Miller start at RG.

Hensen wouldn't see the field for Schmidt, not athletic enough. If he moves anywhere it should be to center. I'd also like to see Miller at RG

• 3 weeks later...

From Miller's tweet:

@tommillergf: WR Tyhre Ivery was the scout team QB, while Soph QB Jake Hanson rotated between scout and top O.

I have to wonder why Hanson isn't starting rather than Studsrud?   As I said the other day, the only advantage to starting Studsrud is to evaluate him in game conditions for next year, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.    For Bubba it's probably a damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I have to wonder why Hanson isn't starting rather than Studsrud?   As I said the other day, the only advantage to starting Studsrud is to evaluate him in game conditions for next year, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.    For Bubba it's probably a damned if you do and damned if you don't.

They can just redshirt him next year

I have to wonder why Hanson isn't starting rather than Studsrud? As I said the other day, the only advantage to starting Studsrud is to evaluate him in game conditions for next year, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. For Bubba it's probably a damned if you do and damned if you don't.

With all due respect to the student-athlete, Hanson is not a capable player. He's not even close to a DI QB. He's more of a local relations player due to his Grafton roots. I'm guessing Bubba and his staff have absolutely no confidence in Hanson's ability, and quite frankly, I don't blame them.

If Bartels can't go, Srudsrud should be the guy. You ALWAYS play the best and ALWAYS try to win. It's not fair to the seniors to play an incapable player if he's not the best on the roster.

As Bubba has said, you always do whats best for the TEAM! Not individuals.

• Upvote 2

With all due respect to the student-athlete, Hanson is terrible. He's not even close to a DI QB. He's more of a local relations player due to his Grafton roots. I'm guessing Bubba and his staff have absolutely no confidence in Hanson's ability, and quite frankly, I don't blame them.

If Bartels can't go, Srudsrud should be the guy. You ALWAYS play the best and ALWAYS try to win. It's not fair to the seniors to play an incapable player if he's not the best on the roster.

As Bubba has said, you always do whats best for the TEAM! Not individuals.

You nailed it. You don't crap on the team, especially the seniors to 'save' a shirt. If we put Hanson out to run our Stoney Brook offensive package for 4 games we wouldn't be able to look ourselves in the mirror and say we did our best.

Tom Miller just tweeted that Bartels did not practice today due to an undisclosed injury, and that Studsrud took most of the snaps with the number one offense. Bartels is likely a gametime decision on Saturday.

As I said on the other thread, Studsrud will start and Hanson is backup. The only question is whether or not Bartels will play again this year. Hopefully whatever his injury, I hope he gets better quickly.

As I said on the other thread, Studsrud will start and Hanson is backup. The only question is whether or not Bartels will play again this year. Hopefully whatever his injury, I hope he gets better quickly.

I'm assuming that they are assuming Bartels could be out for multiple games if not the rest of them if pulling Studsrud's shirt is being considered at this point.  If he's not where they want him to be, he can always redshirt next year.  Will be interesting to see if this has any impact on the QB's they are recruiting.

I'm assuming that they are assuming Bartels could be out for multiple games if not the rest of them if pulling Studsrud's shirt is being considered at this point.  If he's not where they want him to be, he can always redshirt next year.  Will be interesting to see if this has any impact on the QB's they are recruiting.

You really think the kid is going to want to redshirt AGAIN next year?  He just did it for 9 weeks.  Let's use our heads people.

• Upvote 1

You really think the kid is going to want to redshirt AGAIN next year?  He just did it for 9 weeks.  Let's use our heads people.

If he doesn't pass Mollberg or Bartels on the depth chart next year and isn't going to play, why wouldn't he use a red-shirt year?  I believe people are pointing out that if he plays this year, it doesn't mean he only has 3 years left, it means he still has 4 years of eligibility to play 3 more years.

If he doesn't pass Mollberg or Bartels on the depth chart next year and isn't going to play, why wouldn't he use a red-shirt year?  I believe people are pointing out that if he plays this year, it doesn't mean he only has 3 years left, it means he still has 4 years of eligibility to play 3 more years.

They will know by the end of spring ball whether he is their #1 or not.  If not, he would be a flight risk, IMO.  I wouldn't want to play four games as a true freshman and then sit for two years.  

They will know by the end of spring ball whether he is their #1 or not.  If not, he would be a flight risk, IMO.  I wouldn't want to play four games as a true freshman and then sit for two years.  

I wouldn't either, but he likely came in with knowing that there was a decent chance he wasn't going to play his first 2-3 years with both Mollberg and Bartels on the roster.  That hasn't really changed except it looks like he's now going to get some game action this year that wasn't expected.  These injuries likely have thrown a serious wrench in the coaches timeline for the QB's going forward but it may end up clearing the picture up in the long run.

They will know by the end of spring ball whether he is their #1 or not. If not, he would be a flight risk, IMO. I wouldn't want to play four games as a true freshman and then sit for two years.

A flight risk?

That's where you're wrong. The reason Mussman's teams were horrible were due to selfish players that didn't care about the team and tradition of UND football. They left as soon as things didn't go their way.

Bubba and his staff are recruiting players that are actually committed to THE University of North Dakota; that is, they will stick it out and be apart of the family. If anyone can't do that, then they shouldn't be on the team in the first place. It's about what's best for the TEAM, not individuals.

• Upvote 1