SiouxSports.com Forum

Injuries 2014

darell1976

A common misconception in strength training is that workouts need to be sport/position specific.  To say a punter shouldn't be doing the same workouts as a lineman is ridiculous.  They are all athletes and the strength staff trains them as athletes.  Lineman should be doing more weight than a punter, hopefully, but when training athletes, they should be doing the same workouts.  Having gone through the program and working with the strength staff, I can say from first hand experience that speed, agility, mobility, strength, change of direction, etc. are all incorporated into the program the strength staff runs.  Injuries happen no matter how/how hard you train.  It's part of the game, don't go on a witch hunt for a culprit.

A common misconception in strength training is that workouts need to be sport/position specific.  To say a punter shouldn't be doing the same workouts as a lineman is ridiculous.  They are all athletes and the strength staff trains them as athletes.  Lineman should be doing more weight than a punter, hopefully, but when training athletes, they should be doing the same workouts.  Having gone through the program and working with the strength staff, I can say from first hand experience that speed, agility, mobility, strength, change of direction, etc. are all incorporated into the program the strength staff runs.  Injuries happen no matter how/how hard you train.  It's part of the game, don't go on a witch hunt for a culprit.

I'm glad you have had a good experience.  The info I've been told is from some of your teammates, so there is some internal disagreement on the best path.

I'm glad you have had a good experience.  The info I've been told is from some of your teammates, so there is some internal disagreement on the best path.

With all due respect, how would they know if they are being trained incorrectly?  I've also been through this program and I thought I had all the answers back then as well.

It wasn't until I got back into training after a few years of being done with football, when I was forced to research a lot of things on my own, that I found out that most of what the strength staff at UND had told me was correct and that a lot of what I though I knew was stupid or flat out wrong.

These players need to trust in the staff and work their assess off.  That's how you get better.  

My body was much more stable and durable after going through Baukols program than before. he evolved the program each year I was in it and continues to do so. Look at what he did with Hardin. Greg came in and he wasn't all that fast. After five years of Baukols system he was blazing fast and extremely strong for his size.

I'm glad you have had a good experience. The info I've been told is from some of your teammates, so there is some internal disagreement on the best path.

Yea, the players that don't work hard and complain are going to complain about a guy trying to make them do something they don't want to do. These types of guys want to bench and do plyos all day. They don't realize that olympic lifts are the best way to get faster and more explosive. You can also squat and deadlift in every workout without being injured, they're great for your body. I've noticed it was all the little annoying things that Baukol made us do that make the huge difference, he's underrated in my book.

I don't know what is right either.  I did hear from one of my former teammates that had some limited experience in the CFL that he was surprised that Baukol has them all doing the same workout.   That isn't the way they did it with the team he was with.  He asked Baukol about that and Baukol barked at him and said that there is no difference and all players should do the same workout.   He backed off and didn't question any further.

I don't know what is right either. I did hear from one of my former teammates that had some limited experience in the CFL that he was surprised that Baukol has them all doing the same workout. That isn't the way they did it with the team he was with. He asked Baukol about that and Baukol barked at him and said that there is no difference and all players should do the same workout. He backed off and didn't question any further.

The problem is people not realizing he difference between pros and college athletes. The pros are the top .1% of all college athletes. They are elite and usually have a higher genetic ceiling. They're also older and more physically mature. You don't hit thst point until around 25,sometimes later. It's more about maintenance at that point, they've already built their bodies up, college players are still building. That's why everyone needs to do every lift and not specialize a lot. If someone wants to work on something specific they can do it on their own. Tons of guys in the NFL did a lot of extra working out as well as the programs they were in during college.

The problem is people not realizing he difference between pros and college athletes. The pros are the top .1% of all college athletes. They are elite and usually have a higher genetic ceiling. They're also older and more physically mature. You don't hit thst point until around 25,sometimes later. It's more about maintenance at that point, they've already built their bodies up, college players are still building. That's why everyone needs to do every lift and not specialize a lot. If someone wants to work on something specific they can do it on their own. Tons of guys in the NFL did a lot of extra working out as well as the programs they were in during college.

Your mostly right on this.  Professional programs and college programs aren't comparable.  Most pro programs are not designed to add significant amounts of strength, size, and speed.  Pro athletes generally already have those attributes, so they're more tailored to address weaknesses.  Aaron Rodgers can work out to get as strong as possible but it likely won't make him a better QB and will probably make him worse if it takes time away from him working on other areas.

College athletes are different.  Pretty much every college FB player (especially at this level) needs to add strength and size.  There are a number of ways to do that but the best and most effective is through barbell training using compound power and olympic lifts (bench, squat, press, clean, deadlift, etc)..  When these lifts are trained hard, most athletes will not be able to train much longer than an hour to an hour and a half a day, four days a week, for approximately 6-8 weeks continuously before a deload week is necessary.  Increasing volume by training for more hours each day or additional days each week is counterproductive at best and will lead to overtraining injuries at worst.  

This is the part that is extremely difficult for young athletes to understand as they often get terrible advice from body building websites or juice monkeys who talk about how they can train six days a week for 3 hours a day and get better results.  This isn't possible unless your following a body building program that trains one body part a day through isolation exercises like leg extensions and bicep curls (which are essentially worthless for athletes or any one who wants to do anything other than just look strong) or you are augmenting your training through the use of anabolic steroids.  

UND's strength program is built around barbell training using olympic and compound lifts 4 days a week during the offseason and 3 days a week during the season and during spring ball.  There are also two cardio sessions each week during the offseason- one focusing on sprintwork and running technique and a second on footwork and plyometrics.  It is my experience that this is almost a standard template for college football programs.  The in-season lifting is geared towards maintenance and is less strenuous, but is aimed at trying to prevent muscle loss that occurs during the season and which happens at every level and in almost every sport.  There are also down times like Christmas and spring break where the athletes are given a workout program but are more or less on their own.

It is highly inadvisable for athletes to add additional workouts or training during the offseason or during in season workout periods.  An athlete will not be able to eat enough or sleep enough to adequately recover and it will more than likely just lead to decreased performance.  If they want to add stuff during Christmas break or spring break, then by all means do so, as those programs are mainly designed to make sure guys don't sit on their ass for three weeks, but they should absolutely not be doing anything more than some extra bicep curls or skill sessions (route running, FB specific drills) during the peak offseason and in season training periods.

As of 3 years ago the Cowboys, 2 years ago the Eagles, and last year the Steelers workouts were same regardless of position. Eagles were discussing changes. Don't know what happened since that time.

The value of stretching for prevention of injuries, especially muscle strains or tears has been questioned over the past couple of years and some so called experts have questioned whether or not it has any value.

Approximately 60% of ACL tears are non contact injuries. Mollberg's ruptured Achilles was a non contact injury. Don't know about Beck the LB from the Ag School. They have also had a number of injuries the last couple of years yet some bloggers claim they have a far superior conditioning program. They have a good one and so do we. I wouldn't put much stock in the complainers. It is always easy to call for someone to be canned and we don't even need to know what we are talking about. What my 8th grade FB coach professed as to how things should be done isn't always how it should be done nor always the only way to accomplish our goals.

Your mostly right on this.  Professional programs and college programs aren't comparable.  Most pro programs are not designed to add significant amounts of strength, size, and speed.  Pro athletes generally already have those attributes, so they're more tailored to address weaknesses.  Aaron Rodgers can work out to get as strong as possible but it likely won't make him a better QB and will probably make him worse if it takes time away from him working on other areas.

College athletes are different.  Pretty much every college FB player (especially at this level) needs to add strength and size.  There are a number of ways to do that but the best and most effective is through barbell training using compound power and olympic lifts (bench, squat, press, clean, deadlift, etc)..  When these lifts are trained hard, most athletes will not be able to train much longer than an hour to an hour and a half a day, four days a week, for approximately 6-8 weeks continuously before a deload week is necessary.  Increasing volume by training for more hours each day or additional days each week is counterproductive at best and will lead to overtraining injuries at worst.  

This is the part that is extremely difficult for young athletes to understand as they often get terrible advice from body building websites or juice monkeys who talk about how they can train six days a week for 3 hours a day and get better results.  This isn't possible unless your following a body building program that trains one body part a day through isolation exercises like leg extensions and bicep curls (which are essentially worthless for athletes or any one who wants to do anything other than just look strong) or you are augmenting your training through the use of anabolic steroids.  

UND's strength program is built around barbell training using olympic and compound lifts 4 days a week during the offseason and 3 days a week during the season and during spring ball.  There are also two cardio sessions each week during the offseason- one focusing on sprintwork and running technique and a second on footwork and plyometrics.  It is my experience that this is almost a standard template for college football programs.  The in-season lifting is geared towards maintenance and is less strenuous, but is aimed at trying to prevent muscle loss that occurs during the season and which happens at every level and in almost every sport.  There are also down times like Christmas and spring break where the athletes are given a workout program but are more or less on their own.

It is highly inadvisable for athletes to add additional workouts or training during the offseason or during in season workout periods.  An athlete will not be able to eat enough or sleep enough to adequately recover and it will more than likely just lead to decreased performance.  If they want to add stuff during Christmas break or spring break, then by all means do so, as those programs are mainly designed to make sure guys don't sit on their ass for three weeks, but they should absolutely not be doing anything more than some extra bicep curls or skill sessions (route running, FB specific drills) during the peak offseason and in season training periods.

I honestly don't know what guys do that lift 3 hours a day 6 days a week. I have been going for 10 months now and increased my flat bench from 135 to 235, that is going to the gym 5 days a week for right around an hour each time. I have no coach or nutritionist and no one watching my form. You don't gain strength during the workout as that just tears up your muscles. You gain strength during your recovery period which is why it is so important to not overdue it.

I truly hope the entire team decides to stay the summer and all continue to work out, I have seen some athletes working out on their own in the summer and I guarantee you that some of them half as it when away from school. This is when championships are made and it needs to be taken seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no great college football mind, but regarding the strength & conditioning program at UND, after watching several FCS playoff games I can't help but notice that the players on every team just look bigger and stronger than most of the players on our team.  This is also very noticeable in Big Sky play. 

• 1 month later...