SiouxSports.com Forum

Injuries 2014

darell1976

Good question. He was recruited as a PWO by Mussman but never got an opportunity in the QB battle between Mollberg and Bartles in 2013 (hint, hint). Enter Bubba and his staff and they keep him on the roster for depth reasons. Point is, he's not capable. He's a local player that is recognizable. But, he's not a DI QB. Studsrud is getting the 1st unit reps because Hanson is not trusted as capable by Bubba and the coaching staff.

Or they just view Studsrud as much better.

North Dakota Class AA football is, well, deceiving. In reality, Class A football in ND is more competitive and actually produces just as talented of teams, if not more talented. (Grafton is AA)

I would agree that ND football in general in not at the same level as more populated states.  I would think the better teams like Wahpeton, fargo shanley, Dickinson, Minot Ryan, Bismarck st mary, etc.  would disagree.

AA

It's not a waste of a year. Either he starts the next 3 years or redshirts next year and starts later. He won't lose a year of playing time.

Going to be big trouble if that road comes true. A major QB contraversey to start 2015. Something that could hurt a season. We could see someone leave (Mollberg/Bartels) if they get beat out by a sophomore with 4 games under his belt.

Going to be big trouble if that road comes true. A major QB contraversey to start 2015. Something that could hurt a season. We could see someone leave (Mollberg/Bartels) if they get beat out by a sophomore with 4 games under his belt.

We would still have a senior backing up a sophomore and whoever else we bring in. Sounds ok to me.

Why wouldn't there be a controversy anyway?  Studsrud could win the starting job next year with zero games under his belt.  Play the best QB period.

• Upvote 1

Why wouldn't there be a controversy anyway? Studsrud could win the starting job next year with zero games under his belt. Play the best QB period.

I agree play the best, and I am glad it's not my job to pick which one it is. It's the most important position on that offense and I hope Bubba and company picks the right one.

Now does everyone see why I wanted a construction camera mounted at the top of the west side grandstand at Memorial to watch the construction of the indoor practice facility (and to watch practices)? 

Because you knew Molberg would be out for the season and Bartels would not practice this week and you're a big fan of scout team offenses being led by Wide Receivers?

Because you knew Molberg would be out for the season and Bartels would not practice this week and you're a big fan of scout team offenses being led by Wide Receivers?

Dang right ... now let me get back to filling in my PowerBall and MegaMillions numbers. ;) 

North Dakota Class AA football is, well, deceiving. In reality, Class A football in ND is more competitive and actually produces just as talented of teams, if not more talented. (Grafton is AA)

Hanson is short for the position, does not run an exceptional 40, and doesn't have the pocket presence necessary. From looking at him in practice, he just isn't a DI QB. He regularly makes mistakes.

You do realize that "AA" schools are bigger than "A" in North Dakota. The top 3 or 4 teams in "AA" would be competitive with many "AAA". I would think that the top two or three "A" teams would be competitive with half of the "AA" but Shanley would slaughter "A" teams. Grafton was very good in the years that Hanson played for them.

The situation isn't nearly that simple.

It's not a waste of a year. Either he starts the next 3 years or redshirts next year and starts later. He won't lose a year of playing time.

This is a unique situation.  If Studsrud is better than Hanson he should play.  If Studsrud isn't better than Mollberg and Bartels next year, he won't play anyways, so having the title of redshirt is really irrelevant other than the fact that it won't count towards eligibility if he were to redshirt, which he might as well be labeled if he isn't playing anyway.  Even if he is the backup next year and either Mollberg or Bartels leaves, he should still remain redshirted if he isn't starting to maintain that extra year of eligibility, he can always be the back up and pull his redshirt status again if needed.  There are many players who "waste" a year of eligibility because they aren't playing, so to look at either year as a waste isn't seeing the whole picture.  Young players don't tend to play a whole lot anyway, unless they help on special teams or are just flat out better than the upperclassmen at their position.  The staff is smart and will do what makes the team the best it can be.  It's not high school anymore, these coaches are here to win and they aren't worried about the feelings of players if they aren't playing.  The expectation is for the players to earn their playing time.

• Upvote 1

You do realize that "AA" schools are bigger than "A" in North Dakota. The top 3 or 4 teams in "AA" would be competitive with many "AAA". I would think that the top two or three "A" teams would be competitive with half of the "AA" but Shanley would slaughter "A" teams. Grafton was very good in the years that Hanson played for them.

AA teams are bigger in terms of enrollment, but there are more A teams in North Dakota. As a result, the top 3 teams in Class A are often just as good as the top 3 teams in Class AA. Grafton's teams that recently participated in the state championship games were not overwhelming; top Class A football schools like Velva, Harvey, and Hazen are often as talented and are recruited just as heavily by college football recruiters.

You really think the kid is going to want to redshirt AGAIN next year?  He just did it for 9 weeks.  Let's use our heads people.

This was my thinking as well.   I'm sure he'll be itching to play, especially if he gets a taste this year.  The other thing is a lot of people expected him to step up and challenge Mollberg and Bartels next year.    Mollberg may not even be in good enough shape for spring ball and as much as I like Bartels, he could use a little improvement as well.    I don't see Studsrud redshirting next year.

This was my thinking as well. I'm sure he'll be itching to play, especially if he gets a taste this year. The other thing is a lot of people expected him to step up and challenge Mollberg and Bartels next year. Mollberg may not even be in good enough shape for spring ball and as much as I like Bartels, he could use a little improvement as well. I don't see Studsrud redshirting next year.

If he doesn't play he'll redshirt.

DAY - BY - DAY.  Do what you need to do now to be as good as you can be.  Bartels and Mollberg both redshirted with a plan to compete for playing time later - how has that worked out?  Studsrud could play at EWU and get hurt, so do you play to protect players or build the program?  The only game that matters is one you are playing - do what you have to do to give yourself the best chance, then start preparing for the next one.

did anyone listen to Bubba on the ground round und sports show last night.....what did he have to say about this weeks game?

He said they are preparing as if Bartels won't be available, but that can change by Saturday.  Said Hanson knows the offense and is a good leader.  Said Studsrud can make all the throws.

This injuries are an unfortunate side effect of limited depth; however, they are also related to strength and conditioning.

Is the UND Football strength and conditioning program where it needs to be?

A lot of the guys getting hurt haven't been in the program all that long.  I wouldn't jump to strength and conditioning as the main issue at this point.  I sort of throw out the QB injuries and several true freshman or transfer players have been injured or have dealt with injuries on and off this season.