SiouxSports.com Forum

Injuries 2014

darell1976

A flight risk?

That's where you're wrong. The reason Mussman's teams were horrible were due to selfish players that didn't care about the team and tradition of UND football. They left as soon as things didn't go their way.

Bubba and his staff are recruiting players that are actually committed to THE University of North Dakota; that is, they will stick it out and be apart of the family. If anyone can't do that, then they shouldn't be on the team in the first place. It's about what's best for the TEAM, not individuals.

Think all three of them are going to hang around for the next three years?  One of them is leaving or quitting, not saying it's Studsrud but there is no way all three stay.  Not with all having gotten a taste of playing time. 

If his shirt is pulled and he plays this season, I really doubt that UND tries to redshirt him again next year.  It could happen but I really doubt it with the QB depth the way it is.  It is very possible UND goes into next year with 2 or 3 qb's plus whoever they recruit this year.  Likely, if Hanson doesn't get a shot to play with the current situation he leaves or quits.  The idea is to play football and it's very difficult when you a put in a situation to play and don't get a shot.  In addition either Mollberg or Bartels could be gone.  Not saying this will happen but it seems a likely possibility considering how things have played out so far. 

Throughout this whole injury debacle, one thing is quite evident: the offense needs WAY better talent and depth.

UND's defense can get the job done, and quality recruiting has already taken place on that side of the ball, but the offense lacks quality players at every position. If I'm Bubba and staff, I'm hoping for a few big offensive recruits to commit this off-season, along with possibly some FBS transfers.

Think all three of them are going to hang around for the next three years?  One of them is leaving or quitting, not saying it's Studsrud but there is no way all three stay.  Not with all having gotten a taste of playing time. 

If one of them doesn't seperate themselves from the pack, the above scenario isn't a huge deal.  When two QBs are brought in during the same class, I don't believe the expecation is that both will stick it out if they don't change positions, unless they are happy being the backup.

I don't see Studsrud going anywhere.  He will be given the same opportunity he was always going to get to earn the job.  Now he will potentially have some game time under his belt.

I hope if Bartles can't go put Hanson in. He watched the two battle it out with not much success last year, its time to give the Grafton native a start and see what he can do. Who knows he may impress people. 

Joe "The Rifleman" Wilson 2.0 ? 

I hope if Bartles can't go put Hanson in. He watched the two battle it out with not much success last year, its time to give the Grafton native a start and see what he can do. Who knows he may impress people. 

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if Hanson plays vs. #6 EWU, UND will lose by 50. The kid just doesn't have it, plain and simple. 

Lets play out another scenario

What if Studsrud does get the start and plays well. Not saying UND wins, but puts out a good performance.  How do you handle that.

People are looking at it as a potential disaster. I see it as an opportunity to finally figure out the QB job once and for all.  If Keaton plays well enough he might just win himself the job for next year.

Lets play out another scenario

What if Studsrud does get the start and plays well. Not saying UND wins, but puts out a good performance.  How do you handle that.

People are looking at it as a potential disaster. I see it as an opportunity to finally figure out the QB job once and for all.  If Keaton plays well enough he might just win himself the job for next year.

If he looks good that is great but it likely makes 1 or more of the other QB's leaving a much more likely which kills what little depth UND has at QB for next season.  It would likely force them to bring in a JUCO guy just to fill a gap. 

No accuracy? Arm strength? How good was he for the Spoilers?

North Dakota Class AA football is, well, deceiving. In reality, Class A football in ND is more competitive and actually produces just as talented of teams, if not more talented. (Grafton is AA)

Hanson is short for the position, does not run an exceptional 40, and doesn't have the pocket presence necessary. From looking at him in practice, he just isn't a DI QB. He regularly makes mistakes.

I haven't seen him play so I can't judge on that but if he wasn't good enough why is he on the roster?  I think he should at least have an opportunity before you pull a redshirt off.  You never can't tell the QB position certainly isn't all about measurable qualities. 

North Dakota Class AA football is, well, deceiving. In reality, Class A football in ND is more competitive and actually produces just as talented of teams, if not more talented. (Grafton is AA)

Hanson is short for the position, does not run an exceptional 40, and doesn't have the pocket presence necessary. From looking at him in practice, he just isn't a DI QB. He regularly makes mistakes.

I wonder why Mussman recruited him?

Also, some guys never get a shot to show what they can do until something like this happens.  I remember Deitrich Flesch getting to start and play on the offensive line years ago only because another lineman injured himself while testing.  He was a very good player that year that never would have touched the field without and injury.  Sometimes these players just need a chance. 

I haven't seen him play so I can't judge on that but if he wasn't good enough why is he on the roster? 

Exactly. If Jake Hanson isn't player you'd put on a game field at QB why is he listed at QB? 

When I see a "G" on a hockey roster I expect to see a guy in big pads come out and stop a puck, be it "Z-Mc", Cam, or "Scrabble*". If I see "QB" I expect a guy who'd come in to a game. 

*Hrynkiw == "Scrabble"; overheard at a hockey game, liked it. 

Exactly. If Jake Hanson isn't player you'd put on a game field at QB why is he listed at QB?

Good question. He was recruited as a PWO by Mussman but never got an opportunity in the QB battle between Mollberg and Bartles in 2013 (hint, hint). Enter Bubba and his staff and they keep him on the roster for depth reasons. Point is, he's not capable. He's a local player that is recognizable. But, he's not a DI QB. Studsrud is getting the 1st unit reps because Hanson is not trusted as capable by Bubba and the coaching staff.

No. Either he earns the start or this program is a joke. He can get his participation ribbon after the season.