SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 World Cup Predictions

MafiaMan

How the same people can love hockey and hate soccer is mind boggling to me.

Let me take a shot at this:

When I channel-surf right on past soccer what I see during those snips is a game where the token (ball, puck) is seldom possessed.

If the token is not possessed you know that scoring action won't be happening.

To me, soccer is my worst case nightmare hockey scenario: Two slow, poor passing, slow skating, teams playing on an Olympic rink. --> Pass, miss, puck goes wa-a-a-a-a-a-ay over to far boards, someone (slow) has to skate-skate-skate.....skate-skate-skate-skate....skate-skate-skate to pick up the puck. They get possession, take a stride or two, try a pass ... that misses ... and goes wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ay over to the far boards ... lather, rinse, repeat (ad nauseum).

• Upvote 3

Let me take a shot at this:

When I channel-surf right on past soccer what I see during those snips is a game where the token (ball, puck) is seldom possessed.

If the token is not possessed you know that scoring action won't be happening.

To me, soccer is my worst case nightmare hockey scenario: Two slow, poor passing, slow skating, teams playing on an Olympic rink. --> Pass, miss, puck goes wa-a-a-a-a-a-ay over to far boards, someone (slow) has to skate-skate-skate.....skate-skate-skate-skate....skate-skate-skate to pick up the puck. They get possession, take a stride or two, try a pass ... that misses ... and goes wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ay over to the far boards ... lather, rinse, repeat (ad nauseum).

Good teams (not the US) can have stupid high posing percentages. If your interest in soccer is only the goals.... You are going to have a bad time.

If your interest is observing adjustments... Seeing great defense... Seeing opportunities come and go... You'll have a good time.

Watch Germany or the Dutch play.

Good teams (not the US) can have stupid high posing percentages. If your interest in soccer is only the goals.... You are going to have a bad time.

If your interest is observing adjustments... Seeing great defense... Seeing opportunities come and go... You'll have a good time.

Mexico vs. Netherlands 10:00 AM MT Time... Sunday...

I'm curious to see if Mexico can match their possession time. They'll probably need to exceed it to have a chance.

You mean The Netherlands?

Costa Rica beats Greece 5-3 in penalty kicks and moves on to play the Netherlands.

Tough break for Mexico.

Speaking of dives...how about The Netherlands? Wow!

I think the penalty kick that was awarded to the Netherlands was a make up call from the first half.

Costa Rica beats Greece 5-3 in penalty kicks and moves on to play the Netherlands.

Tough break for Mexico.

I think the penalty kick that was awarded to the Netherlands was a make up call from the first half.

I was pulling for Mexico this World Cup. But, I didn't mind that call. It was borderline...but...maybe it was a make up call for some other things that happened.

Ticos won! That was cool.

Now, let's see if the USA can establish themselves against Belgium!

How the same people can love hockey and hate soccer is mind boggling to me.

In 60 minutes of hockey, each goalie is going to make around 30 saves. In 90 minutes of soccer/futbol, each goalie is going to make around 3 saves.

As I've watched a bit more of this World Cup, I've found some teams to be somewhat more enjoyable to watch. The Mexico-Netherlands game was fairly entertaining and fast-paced. However, watching team USA play is akin to watching paint dry.