SiouxSports.com Forum

Why Did it Seem..

werewolfoflondon

He didn't have anything to do with whether Ohio State or Wisconsin scored that overtime goal. But it was in reference to getting to Philly and, once in the tourney, he did a decent job getting the team through the regional.

And I am saying that he had nothing to do with them even getting to the regionals.

And I am saying that he had nothing to do with them even getting to the regionals.

That's actually a fair point, wolf. But that was a well prepared team that went to regionals and played the gophs in philly. And it was Hak in net--you just can't tell with all the equipment they wear.

• Upvote 1

Beg to differ on that. How did he do such a great job when what got them there was an overtime goal in a game UND was not in? If OSU had won that game no regionals for UND.

And if OSU/Wisconsin game had been earlier in the day, it would have been UND's throttling of Western Michigan that got them in. Semantics.

• Upvote 3

Beg to differ on that. How did he do such a great job when what got them there was an overtime goal in a game UND was not in? If OSU had won that game no regionals for UND.

So it was only the result of the OSU/Wisco game that got them there and not the body of work over the entire regular season?

If the Big 10 championship game had been played in the afternoon and the 3rd place game against WMU had been played at night, would we then say they "won their way in?"

That's actually a fair point, wolf. But that was a well prepared team that went to regionals and played the gophs in philly. And it was Hak in net--you just can't tell with all the equipment they wear.

That was the best prepared team that played the rodents that I have seen in a long time. The also were ready for WMU. Ferris was one of those so so ones. But that rodent game was one of Hakstols best prepared coaching jobs I think he almost has ever had. They looked different than they had all season.
  • Upvote 1

So it was only the result of the OSU/Wisco game that got them there and not the body of work over the entire regular season?

If the Big 10 championship game had been played in the afternoon and the 3rd place game against WMU had been played at night, would we then say they "won their way in?"

OK now you have me wondering. Would they have gotten in still by beating WMU and OSU winning? I thought the Badgers had to win for UND to get in. Am I off here?

OK now you have me wondering. Would they have gotten in still by beating WMU and OSU winning? I thought the Badgers had to win for UND to get in. Am I off here?

No, they wouldn't have made it had OSU won...that's not what I was getting at.

I'm more or less alluding to the point jdub27 also made. Had the results been the same, if the games had been played at different times we may not have perceived this team as "backing into" the playoffs.

The PWR shook out as it did due to the entire body of work throughout the season. It didn't *only* come down to UW beating OSU for UND to make the tournament.

No, they wouldn't have made it had OSU won...that's not what I was getting at.

I'm more or less alluding to the point jdub27 also made. Had the results been the same, if the games had been played at different times we may not have perceived this team as "backing into" the playoffs.

The PWR shook out as it did due to the entire body of work throughout the season. It didn't *only* come down to UW beating OSU for UND to make the tournament.

Very good point. It seems that we took a bigger hit in the PWR not from so much what we did but what the rest of the league did.

Very good point. It seems that we took a bigger hit in the PWR not from so much what we did but what the rest of the league did.

Correct- the weakness of the NCHC's non-conference record collectively hurt us.

The draft pick argument is silly...first rounders should be really good...second rounders are good but have a slight knock of some kind...third round are projects that you might get lucky on...after that...not much difference between a guy who gets drafted late vs a guy who doesn't get drafted but can play.

Correct- the weakness of the NCHC's non-conference record collectively hurt us.

The draft pick argument is silly...first rounders should be really good...second rounders are good but have a slight knock of some kind...third round are projects that you might get lucky on...after that...not much difference between a guy who gets drafted late vs a guy who doesn't get drafted but can play.

It would be fun to see a breakdown by round as to how players did in the end.

So many fans are quick to blame the head coach for anything that goes wrong. So here is an instance where maybe, just maybe, the guy who was in charge of putting this team together and for getting the most out of their abilities, should get the credit for GETTING them there! Don't fool yourself, there probably isn't a coach or coaching staff in D1 NCAA hockey that could have done what Hak and his staff did this year. I feel this team was the weakest Sioux hockey team I have ever seen (going back into the 60's), but somebody got them to gel and perform.....and that someone is Hak!

Cool tool on hockeydb.com

Search a player, click his draft year if he was drafted and you can see all the draft picks and their NHL stats.....if they have any.

Thanks. Amazing the difference between the first and second round for playing in the NHL. After the second it drops really fast. It seems that between the third and seventh not a heck of a lot of difference.

Reading stuff like this make me wish we had a AHL team I could really become a. fan & would love to see players in that level or stage in their careers

The AHL is a great league. I used to catch quite a few Milwaukee Admirals games. The pace of the game is similar to the college level, only with more skilled guys. Plus, there are usually tons of former college kids playing which is a bonus.