SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

Ban cell phones. Definition of irony: Students (and people in general) are less involved in the games because they're all on their damn cell phones, so REA improves wi-fi service this year. Brilliant.

If you ban cell phones the student section would be empty.  Most arena's and stadiums around the country are improving the Wi-Fi service to make sure the students still show up. 

• Upvote 1

If you ban cell phones the student section would be empty.  Most arena's and stadiums around the country are improving the Wi-Fi service to make sure the students still show up.

So the students are there, but they really aren't there. I get it.

Good article on Hakstol in the Herald:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-mens-hockey-understanding-hakstol

I didn't know this before:

Hakstol initially made a verbal commitment to Alaska Fairbanks. He didn’t expand on the details of what happened there, saying “for whatever reason, it didn’t work out.” But strangely enough, the head coach at UAF at the time was Don Lucia, who is now the head coach at North Dakota’s biggest rival, Minnesota.

The recruiting process re-opened and Hakstol was close to choosing RPI when UND assistant coach Dean Blais came calling. It was an easy decision for Hakstol. Not only did he know about UND’s strong reputation, he also was friends with Ward, who started at the school a year earlier.

• Upvote 1

What a great story! Good stuff Brad..

It is crazy to see how much Hak smiles and how he looks relaxed this season. It is like he thinks inside, it has all come together, finally, look out college hockey world the team I have been building is here!

Can't wait for this to begin...

Go Sioux!

Something feels different about this year already. I am not going to jinx anything but just say’in , this year has an inward buzz about it already like we are teetering on the brink of something special….either that or it’s my acid reflux

• Upvote 1

Something feels different about this year already. I am not going to jinx anything but just say’in , this year has an inward buzz about it already like we are teetering on the brink of something special….either that or it’s my acid reflux

Remember the "One Goal" poster from a couple years back?  Frattin and Malone group?  It's early, but I sense a similar energy in the fan base.  Hopefully there will be similar success for the team!*

*but with 2 more wins

• Upvote 2

It is crazy to see how much Hak smiles and how he looks relaxed this season. It is like he thinks inside, it has all come together, finally, look out college hockey world the team I have been building is here!

Smiling and relaxed this season? Isn't "the season" all of one exhibition game old?

This is a great article, probably one of the best I've read in a while!

Some of my favorite excerpts:

...Hakstol hit an ice patch and started sliding off the road.

Hakstol calmly patted a sleeping Berry on the shoulder and said, “Bubs, you might want to wake up for this.”

Hakstol took a terminally ill patient on a charter flight with the team to go to a road trip once. He has done the same with a special needs student, who was a big fan of the team.

There was the time that two of his players went to Colorado to be with their mother, who was in her final days. After she passed away, the players walked out of the hospital room and the first person standing there was Hakstol.

Argue about wording all you want, but living in EGF there has been many many many interviews with Hak on TV, radio, and internet. He is relaxed and smiling in all of them! There is that better?

Not sure I'd call it arguing...I guess we'll keep an eye on his facial expressions as the season goes along...

Not sure I'd call it arguing...I guess we'll keep an eye on his facial expressions as the season goes along...

Ok, not arguing, how about critiquing? Also you say "we'll" how about, you?

I was just trying to express the pleasant/confident change in Haks demeanor, something I have noticed in his many watchable interviews that started about a month ago. You can check through the season and let me know later if I was way off base.....

Go Sioux!

Ok, not arguing, how about critiquing? Also you say "we'll" how about, you?

I was just trying to express the pleasant/confident change in Haks demeanor, something I have noticed in his many watchable interviews that started about a month ago. You can check through the season and let me know later if I was way off base.....

Go Sioux!

Some of us who don't live in the area don't have the opportunity for some extra insight...that's why we rely on the board. ?

Just presenting facts here....

We released a bunch of new fan initiatives for students & general public throughout Monday 9.22 via REA, UND and NoDak Nation social media outlets.

Judging by the RT's and favorites on this tweet, students were well aware before the lottery of the change: https://twitter.com/NoDak_Nation/status/514074132061757440

The release on 9.23 was a wrap-up release of everything that was announced on Monday 9.22 - the time stamp on that release currently shows "updated" meaning there was an error/omission/change after the initial release.

Student hockey "lottery" was 9.23 and 9.24 at 9pm/10pm

I apologize for any misinformation I may have perpetuated or created.

My personal opinion: 24 hours is still fairly short notice for announcing changes (especially for freshmen) BUT kudos to the athletes staff for their hard work to continually improve student experiences :)

One thing I have started to notice with this year's senior class, is how little the skill player's (MacMillan, Parks, O'Donnell, and Mattson) have progressed in four years.

Let's take a look at their role's as freshman:

• MacMillan as a freshman:  2nd line LW, approximately 20 points, played PK and PP
  • Parks as a freshman:  2nd line RW, approximately 20 points, played PP
  • O'Donnell as a freshman: 3rd line LW, was on pace for 15 points
  • Mattson:  2nd pairing dman, approximately 20 points, played PP and PK

4 years later, all of those player's are in basically the same roles as they were as freshman, and as of last year, put up very similar numbers. 

The format for college hockey is ridiculous. Leave it to the NCAA to have a format with so few practices before the first official game. Only sport in the NCAA I can think of where there is less then 2 weeks of practice and the period where you have 20 hours for the week before your first game.

There is a reason Notre Dame, Providence, Western Michigan, Miami, Wisconsin and UND all lost their first game.

All I'm saying is I still have hope that we will avoid the "slow start" with the experience of this team and I want to see Sioux Hockey now as oppose to after the break when they put it into gear and make a push.

Nick Schmaltz is fun to watch.....and we need some guys that play on the edge and play some "old time hockey" and I think Chyzyk and Olson could be those guys on the forward unit... They need to be in the line up from a physicality stand point.

The format for college hockey is ridiculous. Leave it to the NCAA to have a format with so few practices before the first official game. Only sport in the NCAA I can think of where there is less then 2 weeks of practice and the period where you have 20 hours for the week before your first game.

There is a reason Notre Dame, Providence, Western Michigan, Miami, Wisconsin and UND all lost their first game.

All I'm saying is I still have hope that we will avoid the "slow start" with the experience of this team and I want to see Sioux Hockey now as oppose to after the break when they put it into gear and make a push.

Nick Schmaltz is fun to watch.....and we need some guys that play on the edge and play some "old time hockey" and I think Chyzyk and Olson could be those guys on the forward unit... They need to be in the line up from a physicality stand point.

I'm all for physical hockey like what we got from McWilliam, but not the kind of chippy, tough-guy, stupid stuff that puts us a man down. McWilliam got the box a lot, but mostly because he hit people so hard the refs felt there had to be a penalty.