SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

I've heard this is just the start of taking away every student ticket and not allowing them to even look at the arena.  ;)

Har, har, har; I know a shot at me when I read it. :p

I threw out a hypothetical scenario based on what a former UND President once said in an e-mail to a season-ticket holder who was complaining about student behavior.  I never said it was imminent, nor did I say it was even likely.  They probably should have put the students on the ends or in the corners to start with, but now they would uproot season ticket holders and they would throw a hissy fit.

I'm a student and hey if the students don't fill up their section than give them to people that will. I'm not saying taking away all the sections from the students because than the atmosphere is gone but taking away one section is not a big deal at all. Maybe throw the band back up top too.

• Upvote 1

cue the goon kiss up on what Faison has done.

I would say that he's better than the last AD that we had. Faison also helped form the new hockey conference. Personally, I have only met him in passing on the elevator of the Ralph, but he seems like decent guy. 

Sections 310 and 310A are now single-game, reserved seats for the general public

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=209704198

This message should calm the panic attacks on here down about the "student section going away", makes perfect sense to me. Oh wait it is the jump off the edge website Siouxsports.com. Resume panic on the next thing...

This message should calm the panic attacks on here down about the "student section going away", makes perfect sense to me. Oh wait it is the jump off the edge website Siouxsports.com. Resume panic on the next thing...

I think that if no one is sitting in the seats, by all means sell the tickets. Maybe someone has a different take on this. 

I think that if no one is sitting in the seats, by all means sell the tickets. Maybe someone has a different take on this. 

I don't have a problem with this action by REA.  It is just unfortunate that students are going to fewer games than they used to.  The die-hard fans from my day (the 1990's) would need to be hospitalized to miss a game.  I even went to a game with food poisoning once! :crazy:

I don't have a problem with this action by REA. It is just unfortunate that students are going to fewer games than they used to. The die-hard fans from my day (the 1990's) would need to be hospitalized to miss a game. I even went to a game with food poisoning once! :crazy:

I waited in line for hours waiting to get in with a super bad cold. The cold didn't bother me because I was overheated due to my cold. To this day I still run into the other diehards at road games that waited on line also. And it's still "hey! I know you!"

It's too bad that the passion isn't as widespread as it used to be, and I don't feel like I'm too far out of college. (Graduated in 09). I have heard student attendance at all college sporting events is slipping nationwide so I wonder what can be done, if anything, to curb that.

• Upvote 1

I waited in line for hours waiting to get in with a super bad cold. The cold didn't bother me because I was overheated due to my cold. To this day I still run into the other diehards at road games that waited on line also. And it's still "hey! I know you!"

It's too bad that the passion isn't as widespread as it used to be, and I don't feel like I'm too far out of college. (Graduated in 09). I have heard student attendance at all college sporting events is slipping nationwide so I wonder what can be done, if anything, to curb that.

I graduated in August 2000 (but still managed to sneak into the student section during the final season in the Old REA :sneaky:) and the passion and commitment to the team from the student body is nowhere near what it once was.  I think the fact that more students work while they go to school is part of it.  There also are more distractions for students than there was in the 1990's and 2000's.  Social media sucks up a lot of young people's time; too much if you ask me.  I don't know how collegiate sports can compete with all that. ???

I can't necessarily comment on the "passion" of the student fans since I'm not regularly in the arena; but there are a couple major differences between now and when I was in school (1998 grad).

Students now have to buy tickets; we waited in line to get in for "free."

All home games are now televised; we rarely had games shown on WDAZ.  If you wanted to watch the game, you had to be there.

The new REA is more corporate, sells beer, and employs people specifically to watch out for improper student behavior and underage drinking.

I can see why some students would just say "screw it - I'll stay home, drink some beers, and watch it on TV."

• Upvote 1

Ban cell phones. Definition of irony: Students (and people in general) are less involved in the games because they're all on their damn cell phones, so REA improves wi-fi service this year. Brilliant.

I can't necessarily comment on the "passion" of the student fans since I'm not regularly in the arena; but there are a couple major differences between now and when I was in school (1998 grad).

Students now have to buy tickets; we waited in line to get in for "free."

All home games are now televised; we rarely had games shown on WDAZ.  If you wanted to watch the game, you had to be there.

The new REA is more corporate, sells beer, and employs people specifically to watch out for improper student behavior and underage drinking.

I can see why some students would just say "screw it - I'll stay home, drink some beers, and watch it on TV."

You mean "improper student behavior" like yelling at opposing players in the penalty box too loud?  Or being too loud so that all the corporate schmoozing is interrupted?  Or.....I better get off this topic before I get worked up about it again. :angry::sad:

FWIW, I agree with your comments.