SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

Someone with more inside recruiting information shed some light on early commits. One school of thought says the early commits are a good sign as early offers go to those recruits highest on your wish list, so those verbals are the guys you've targeted with highest value. Some say early commits are risky as there's so much time to decommit if/when other schools come on later. Some say it doesn't matter.

I'm just wondering if I should make anything of the comparatively low number of verbals I'm seeing so far, or if one verbal at this point is actually pretty standard from year to year and the ac has an unusually high number this year.

My opinion:

This being August, I wouldn't consider a commitment received now (or in the last few weeks) to be early. It is becoming more commonplace for a prospect to make his decision prior to the start of the HS season. At the FCS level, there aren't a great deal of kids changing their minds and going elsewhere (although it does happen). Most schools have seen a prospect at camp and on film so they have a good idea of their talent level. So if a school has "done its homework", I don't think there is much risk - other than the player having a serious injury during his senior season.

Therefore, I think getting a bunch of commitments at this time of the year is great - I wish we had more than one. That said, we often compare ourselves to NDSU. They are on such a roll right now that recruiting is relatively easy for them - for good reason. I follow recruiting very closely and most FCS teams have commitments from very few players. When I looked at this a few days ago, the recruiting websites had SU with 10 but no one else (that we compare ourselves to) even had five (SDSU had 4). I am sure it isn't fact but Montana, MSU, USD didn't show any commitments yet. Wyoming only had three. Again, these services certianly don't provide 100% accurate info.

Bottom line - I would love to have 10 or so commitments but only having one doesn't overly concern me. Bubba and has crew will bring in a very talented recruiting class.

• Upvote 1

My opinion:

This being August, I wouldn't consider a commitment received now (or in the last few weeks) to be early. It is becoming more commonplace for a prospect to make his decision prior to the start of the HS season. At the FCS level, there aren't a great deal of kids changing their minds and going elsewhere (although it does happen). Most schools have seen a prospect at camp and on film so they have a good idea of their talent level. So if a school has "done its homework", I don't think there is much risk - other than the player having a serious injury during his senior season.

Therefore, I think getting a bunch of commitments at this time of the year is great - I wish we had more than one. That said, we often compare ourselves to NDSU. They are on such a roll right now that recruiting is relatively easy for them - for good reason. I follow recruiting very closely and most FCS teams have commitments from very few players. When I looked at this a few days ago, the recruiting websites had SU with 10 but no one else (that we compare ourselves to) even had five (SDSU had 4). I am sure it isn't fact but Montana, MSU, USD didn't show any commitments yet. Wyoming only had three. Again, these services certianly don't provide 100% accurate info.

Bottom line - I would love to have 10 or so commitments but only having one doesn't overly concern me. Bubba and has crew will bring in a very talented recruiting class.

good info, thanks

One other thing to consider, it seems that quite a few of the players that have become big contributors for SU were guys that were late bloomers, guys who really blossomed their senior year. Now, as was stated, if they are getting guys that were at or near the top of their board, they probably won't lose any sleep on that and guessing they still have a fair amount of scholarship money available, but there are many players that aren't on anyone's radar right now that will become big time contributors for D-1 schools in the next few years.

A good recent example is Joe Schobert. Was ready to take a PWO from UND and ended up playing as a true freshman at Wisconsin after having a good senior season and great all-star games in the spring/summer.

UND received some sort of commitment it appears based on a Gigli tweet:

Jordan Gigli@CoachGigli 6 mins

I love welcoming new recruits to our family, another one today! #UNDFB #DayByDay #TheFutureIsNow

To be honest, I'm not sure if this relates to someone coming this fall by way of transfer, or a verbal for next year, but seems more likely a verbal for next year. Will try to dig a bit later to find out more info.

EDIT: Seems as if it is Carter Blackwell out of Dickinson, ND.

UND received some sort of commitment it appears based on a Gigli tweet:

Jordan Gigli@CoachGigli 6 mins

I love welcoming new recruits to our family, another one today! #UNDFB #DayByDay #TheFutureIsNow

To be honest, I'm not sure if this relates to someone coming this fall by way of transfer, or a verbal for next year, but seems more likely a verbal for next year. Will try to dig a bit later to find out more info.

EDIT: Seems as if it is Carter Blackwell out of Dickinson, ND.

I didn't see his name in the offerees or the players of interest in the wiki. Is he a walkon?

Good athlete and real good kid. Originally from Texas, family relocated with the oil. Moved to Dickinson last year.

Wonder if he's following in his parents' footsteps and wants to go to a school with a great Petroleum Engineering Program. I heard that program was expecting around 300 students this fall, but now it's looking closer to 400.

It had seemed he would choose UND but I guess that changed. Cavalier's pipeline to UND has faded in recent years. Last player was Brady Trenbeath and since then they've all gone to NDSU.

Tim Oksendahl and Karl Holm were both after Brady Trenbeath. Only two players have gone to NDSU from cavalier in recent memory Brandon Chrest and Matt Anderson....now Brock

My opinion:

The Jacks currently have 7 commitments. Also,considering UND has sucked since moving up,comparing yourselves to the Bison and SDSU is really a stretch.

And when UND becomes eligible for 6 years we will see how many times they make the playoffs.

They made it their second year of eligibility if memory serves me right. How long do you plan on playing the "head start" card?

We have one GWFC title and zero FBS wins..just like SDSU.

SDSU is a perennial top-20 team with elite talent and will soon have arguably the best facilities in the country. Players know they can go to SDSU and be reliably competitive at a nationally level, if not quite elite.

UND has been a mess for half a decade and has a new coach with a modest track record since leaving here. I'm just happy to not be losing out to Glenn at this point. This is going to take a few years to get turned around. Being competent this year will be a great start.

I'd like to see some defensive film on him. On offense and returns he has some very natural instincts to juke people out of their shoes. Maybe he'll end up on offense? Very good speed though.

You very well could be right that he will end up at RB - all depends on how the staff views him.

SDSU is a perennial top-20 team with elite talent and will soon have arguably the best facilities in the country. Players know they can go to SDSU and be reliably competitive at a nationally level, if not quite elite.

UND has been a mess for half a decade and has a new coach with a modest track record since leaving here. I'm just happy to not be losing out to Glenn at this point. This is going to take a few years to get turned around. Being competent this year will be a great start.

For being such an elite team, must be pretty embarrassing that a team as bad as UND took them to the wire last year.

UND's facilities will be on par with SDSU's once both have their IPF's complete.

• Upvote 4

I'd like to see some defensive film on him. On offense and returns he has some very natural instincts to juke people out of their shoes. Maybe he'll end up on offense? Very good speed though.

It seems as if all of these recruits have high compete levels, that is refreshing to see.

For being such an elite team, must be pretty embarrassing that a team as bad as UND took them to the wire last year.

UND's facilities will be on par with SDSU's once both have their IPF's complete.

It still amazes me how some of you on here can throw stones from a glass house like this. Our program has been embarrassing the last two years...I will hold out comparing us to anyone until we stop embarrassing ourselves on the field.

It still amazes me how some of you on here can throw stones from a glass house like this. Our program has been embarrassing the last two years...I will hold out comparing us to anyone until we stop embarrassing ourselves on the field.

First 2 years in the MVFC NDSU 9-13, First 2 years in the BSC UND 8-14. Hope is not all lost folks.

• Upvote 2