SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

Personally I like the athleticism of Bolinkse. He certainly does need some work on arm strength but this should come with a couple years of work under Baukol. The kid is a project but is not expected to start for at least a couple years anyway. I like the upside here. 

4 hours ago, lets eat said:

Why all the hate?   He's a 3 time first team Allstate player that was voted by the coaches from ND as Senior player of the year. Was told he had a chance at Wyoming among others but chose UND.  Great kid   The crazys over at BV don't like their choice at QB either but are smart enough not to rip him before he even signs

Well, I believe he is a preferred walk-on, so apparently the coaches believe Mr. Bolinske has a bit of an uphill battle ahead of him in terms of earning a scholarship. I wish him all the best.

As for my comments regarding the QB position, anyone who follows UND football is aware of the drop-off that occurred after Studsrud got injured last season. Fortunately, Studsrud will be be the first solidified starting QB going into spring ball and fall camp for UND football in a few years; however, the depth is still questionable. Also considering what NDSU has done at the QB position in order to win five-consecutive national championships (all-time winningest FCS QB, a QB receiving 1st round draft buzz, and a very capable heir apparent ready to take his place in Stick), it appears the QB position is a bit important if you want to win championships. 

Best of luck to Bolinske, but it appears UND did not sign a scholarship QB this year; that could become an issue. I hope Studsrud can stay healthy in 2016 so this QB depth issue doesn't rear its ugly head again. 

6 minutes ago, homer said:

no one has any idea what the QB board looked like.  I trust this coaching staff and talent evaluations.   No idea where Bolinski was rated on the board but would you suddenly feel better if they offered him a scholarship just to say they have a scholly QB?   

I can understand the current excitement from the fan base considering the proximity of National Signing Day; however, let's still have a sense of realism here. 

I certainly hope both Heidlebaugh and Bolinksi develop into great quarterbacks for UND, but I will believe it when I see it.

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I can understand the current excitement from the fan base considering the proximity of National Signing Day; however, let's still have a sense of realism here. 

I certainly hope both Heidlebaugh and Bolinksi develop into great quarterbacks for UND, but I will believe it when I see it.

Again, what about Bolinski makes you believe he won't pan out?  The fact they he doesn't have a scholarship, is from ND, what is it?  

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I think Bolinski should be fine at qb. I don't recall any of us doing backflips when Studs signed or even to begin this year. I and many others didn't appreciate him until he was injured.

UND-FB-FAN

• UND-FB-FAN
  • Members
  •  
  • 3,151 posts

Keaton Studsrud is a good quarterback prospect out of Minnesota and he will be visiting this weekend. I don't think there's a huge difference between Studsrud and Wilkie overall, so I'm fine with Studsrud if he decides to come to UND. He's very athletic and his highlights have him making some nice throws.

UND-FB-FAN

• UND-FB-FAN
  • Members
  •  
  • 3,151 posts

So apparently Wilkie is the next Joe Montana. Some people need to get a grip...

The kid has potential but is no sure thing. There's plenty of other capable quarterbacks in the region, and I for one am fine with Studsrud. He's listed as 6'1" and has great athleticism. Rudolph can coach ball security and fundamentals, but you can't teach athleticism. You either have it or you don't.

Check out the highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/602945/

Apparently Northern Illinois and Rod Carey were semi-impressed also (he has a PWO opportunity for NIU). Hope he chooses UND

UND-FB-FAN

• UND-FB-FAN
  • Members
  •  
  • 3,151 posts
On 1/18/2014 at 11:08 AM, NDSIOUXFAN1 said:

I guess the question is, do you want a QB or do you want a RB that throws. Studsrud would be more impressive if he had statistically dominated against top competition, but didn't play any top ranked opponents. In the 2013 regular season he threw for 1270 yards and rushed for 540 against 4A competition. Perra and Wilkie both played 6A competition and each threw for 2100 yards, while playing multiple top ranked 6A opponents.

Give Studsrud a solid running game and he'd be fine in the play-action game. Throw in a few designed QB runs like NDSU did for Jenson and you've got a multidimensional offense that is tough to defend. I'd go with Studsrud.

UND-FB-FAN

• UND-FB-FAN
  • Members
  •  
  • 3,151 posts
On 1/19/2014 at 11:16 AM, sioux24/7 said:

@KjStudsrud: Officially going to University of North Dakota to play football. Thanks to everyone who made it possible especially my teammates #Sioux

Glad we got him! He's a solid quarterback prospect!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just for the record, I really liked Studsrud's level of athleticism during the recruiting process back in 2014. As for Bolinski, he's undersized and not as athletic as Studsrud. I wish him the best, but I question his ability to be a starting division I quarterback. 

18 minutes ago, homer said:

Again, what about Bolinski makes you believe he won't pan out?  The fact they he doesn't have a scholarship, is from ND, what is it?  

I think the whole no "scholarship" QB scares people. It's like in the NFL draft fans are going to get a lot more excited about drafting a QB than signing an I drafted one. This is not to say there are not exceptions (Warner and Romo) but it's far less likely. I sure hope Bolinske can develop into a good QB. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, homer said:

He never mentioned he won't pan out.  I'm in agreeance with him, if the coaching staff didn't offer him a scholly you can take that as the staff saying, " we like you buuuuut just not that much!" A scholarship player is a "target" as where a pwo is a prove yourself.  

I believe it's been noted numerous times here about the unknowns at the qb position and I also believe most of us, considering what happened when Studsrud went down last year, are on pins and needles with the unknowns, most notably heidlebaugh.  

The qb position is quite possibly the important position in football.  I believe most teams should recruit a qb every other year at a minimum.  Every team has different needs at different times but I truly believe you can't have enough quality qbs on a roster 

At the same time, Bubba and crew  know what they have and are obviously very confident in what they have, so I'm on board with that.  

Can't wait for tomorrow!!!!

25 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

He never mentioned he won't pan out.  I'm in agreeance with him, if the coaching staff didn't offer him a scholly you can take that as the staff saying, " we like you buuuuut just not that much!" A scholarship player is a "target" as where a pwo is a prove yourself.  

I believe it's been noted numerous times here about the unknowns at the qb position and I also believe most of us, considering what happened when Studsrud went down last year, are on pins and needles with the unknowns, most notably heidlebaugh.  

The qb position is quite possibly the important position in football.  I believe most teams should recruit a qb every other year at a minimum.  Every team has different needs at different times but I truly believe you can't have enough quality qbs on a roster 

At the same time, Bubba and crew  know what they have and are obviously very confident in what they have, so I'm on board with that.  

Can't wait for tomorrow!!!!

I take the staff not offering a QB this year as confidence in the Rugby Rocket.  They have those same concerns about a backup I'm sure.   

Maldonado, there are a lot of depth concerns with the team right now.  While the QB position is important, this team has to be two deep everywhere and we aren't.  They had Bolinske on campus this year and saw him in person.  If they liked what they saw, knew he wanted to go to UND and felt confident he would come as a PWO why not. 

Tomorrow is my Birthday......so all verbals signing would be a good birthday present....and maybe even have an unexpected signing as a surprise or something!   Am out of town at a customer site this week which sucks......won't be able to be online and check things throughout the day which is always a fun day doing that......Ugh.  Will be excited to check things out tomorrow night!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Gotcha - I will see what I can find out....

Can't find anything for certain other than UBC is recruiting him hard.  He did visit UND three times last year (Jr. Day, camp) and supposedly had an offer from West Virginia at one time. 

18 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Can't find anything for certain other than UBC is recruiting him hard.  He did visit UND three times last year (Jr. Day, camp) and supposedly had an offer from West Virginia at one time. 

Offer was from West Virginia State, which I believe is a DII.