SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Good news.

Still work to do. 

Would like to see a scholarship QB commit like Blount. Also, would like to see TE Cloyd commit to UND (again), and another CB would be nice due to the decommitment of Chinn. 

I think Randolph commit is probably due to Chinn decommiting. 

8 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I think Randolph commit is probably due to Chinn decommiting. 

I believe Randolph was originally coming in as a safety and Chinn was going to be a CB, but I could be wrong. Do we think that Randolph could be a dual role there? Maybe they expected the same from Chinn.

Regardless, really happy to see him join UND. Now lets get Blount on campus.

It is being said we have 23 commitments.    I am only counting 22 commitments.  Is there one not announced  yet?    So far we have 8 states represented.    Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Colorado, Indiana, Illinois, Alabama, and Louisiana.     If Coyd  would come back we would have Nebraska included too.  Looks like the coaching staff is doing a great job.  Keep on these recruits and  make sure they are there on signing day.    Can't wait for next Fall.

1 minute ago, Dagger said:

It is being said we have 23 commitments.    I am only counting 22 commitments.  Is there one not announced  yet?    So far we have 8 states represented.    Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Colorado, Indiana, Illinois, Alabama, and Louisiana.     If Coyd  would come back we would have Nebraska included too.  Looks like the coaching staff is doing a great job.  Keep on these recruits and  make sure they are there on signing day.    Can't wait for next Fall.

I saw that as well.  I think one site has Cloyd counted as a commit and the other doesn't.  It would be nice if he was included Wednesday next week.  I'm excited to see the signing on that day.

2 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Did Coyd ever decommit?  

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This staff is so much better at recruiting than the last one. Obviously they have the IPF to help them but they just seem to always have a plan for whatever happens. The other staff seemed to swing for the fences on a few guys and then scramble at the end to fill spots. Maurice and co have done a fabulous job.

grid.png.ff3e2a89bc95cb2e84cb7360d9d4d29

This is Bubba's brain as a head coach.

.spagetti.jpg.fd024cfa46835af13a69ace6621

Mussman's brain as a head coach.

Get it? Good!

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I believe Randolph was originally coming in as a safety and Chinn was going to be a CB, but I could be wrong. Do we think that Randolph could be a dual role there? Maybe they expected the same from Chinn.

Regardless, really happy to see him join UND. Now lets get Blount on campus.

I am thinking 1 of 2 things about QB - 1) Heildlebaugh is looking really good 2) We have our eye on someone, may or may not be Blount, that we are confident about.

Randolph could do some major damage at the QB position running the ball, passing would have to improve.  Bringing him in at Safety leads me to believe point 1 or 2 above.

26 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I am thinking 1 of 2 things about QB - 1) Heildlebaugh is looking really good 2) We have our eye on someone, may or may not be Blount, that we are confident about.

Randolph could do some major damage at the QB position running the ball, passing would have to improve.  Bringing him in at Safety leads me to believe point 1 or 2 above.

I wonder if the staff would ever be creative to use a guy like this primarily on defense, but also work him into a few wildcat type scenarios. Put him out there as a guy that could run or pass. I still like Keaton as our primary guy. Just wonder if they would ever get creative like that. Maybe we have enough speed threats with Santiago, Iwarri and Studs, that we don't need to get too creative.

5 minutes ago, bang said:

Bubba has structure and process. Muss not so much. 

I'll be the first to admit I didn't follow recruiting nearly as closely when Muss was in charge, and while he certainly found some great kids, I don't think the talent was even close to as evenly spread as what Bubba and Co is putting on the field.

I'm not sure if it is what he is doing, or the fact that I am just following closer, but whether it is during a game week, or waiting for more recruiting information, I am constantly excited to see what this team is doing.

I know you don't want to always analyze a player, based on who else is recruiting him. I think Bubba made that abundantly clear this past season; and proved why with a guy like Santiago. Though, it is nice to see that some of the players you are getting, are also getting big interest from other programs. Especially regional programs, because it means we are getting a little more respect, and getting guys that would have otherwise gone to a SDSU or a USD or sometimes even an NDSU. Pretty awesome to see.

Just pulled this off the Wiki, but I think it definitely speaks to the improvement of the program to start winning somenot all, of the recruiting battles.

OG Bennett Helgren, 6'6”, 285, 5.1, Edina (Edina), MN (2 Star - Scout & 247) Had offers from SDSU & USD

LB Dijon Murray, 6'1”, 225, 4.4, New Orleans (NMMI), LA Has signed. Had offers from SIU & Colgate

LB Jaxson Turner, 6'2“, 200, 4.6, Esko (Esko), MN (2 Star - 247) Had offer from WIU

S Jordan Canady, 6'2 175, 4.6, New Berlin (Eisenhower), WI PWO offer from Wisconsin

S Dre Randolph, 6'1”, 190, Indianapolis (Lawrence Central) IN Had offers from Army & Navy

CB Evan Holm, 6', 170, 4.5, Edina (Edina), MN (2 Star - 247) Had offers from USD & SDSU

CB Torrey Hunt, 6', 190, 4.4, Madison (Naval Prep Academy), AL Had offers from TN Tech & ID St

37 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

What I seen of Randolph on tape, he is very explosive.  I'm not sure in Unds offense if a strong or accurate arm is the most important component to what the coaches are looking for?  I'm no coach but  Keaton doesn't necessarily blow me away with his arm, but makes up for it in his composure, huddle control, time control, turnovers and of course his running.  It was fairly obvious last year when he was out.  

With that being said, I like the potential Randolph could give us if used at qb.  Trust in the coaches. 

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'll be the first to admit I didn't follow recruiting nearly as closely when Muss was in charge, and while he certainly found some great kids, I don't think the talent was even close to as evenly spread as what Bubba and Co is putting on the field.

I'm not sure if it is what he is doing, or the fact that I am just following closer, but whether it is during a game week, or waiting for more recruiting information, I am constantly excited to see what this team is doing.

I know you don't want to always analyze a player, based on who else is recruiting him. I think Bubba made that abundantly clear this past season; and proved why with a guy like Santiago. Though, it is nice to see that some of the players you are getting, are also getting big interest from other programs. Especially regional programs, because it means we are getting a little more respect, and getting guys that would have otherwise gone to a SDSU or a USD or sometimes even an NDSU. Pretty awesome to see.

Just pulled this off the Wiki, but I think it definitely speaks to the improvement of the program to start winning somenot all, of the recruiting battles.

OG Bennett Helgren, 6'6”, 285, 5.1, Edina (Edina), MN (2 Star - Scout & 247) Had offers from SDSU & USD

LB Dijon Murray, 6'1”, 225, 4.4, New Orleans (NMMI), LA Has signed. Had offers from SIU & Colgate

LB Jaxson Turner, 6'2“, 200, 4.6, Esko (Esko), MN (2 Star - 247) Had offer from WIU

S Jordan Canady, 6'2 175, 4.6, New Berlin (Eisenhower), WI PWO offer from Wisconsin

S Dre Randolph, 6'1”, 190, Indianapolis (Lawrence Central) IN Had offers from Army & Navy

CB Evan Holm, 6', 170, 4.5, Edina (Edina), MN (2 Star - 247) Had offers from USD & SDSU

CB Torrey Hunt, 6', 190, 4.4, Madison (Naval Prep Academy), AL Had offers from TN Tech & ID St

Mussman was more concerned about skilled positions and not the bigs.  It starts in the trenches and bubba knows that.  Bubba has recruited accordingly and so far it's paying dividends.  

Also, bubba is recruiting locally a hell of a lot better them mussman 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

What I seen of Randolph on tape, he is very explosive.  I'm not sure in Unds offense if a strong or accurate arm is the most important component to what the coaches are looking for?  I'm no coach but  Keaton doesn't necessarily blow me away with his arm, but makes up for it in his composure, huddle control, time control, turnovers and of course his running.  It was fairly obvious last year when he was out.  

With that being said, I like the potential Randolph could give us if used at qb.  Trust in the coaches. 

Nothing wrong with having your best athlete at QB. Hendrickson comes to mind. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Longtime fan said:

Mussman was more concerned about skilled positions and not the bigs.  It starts in the trenches and bubba knows that.  Bubba has recruited accordingly and so far it's paying dividends.  

Could not agree more, and Muss did have some really good skill players. Can't totally bash on him. He had probably the best group of FCS wide receivers you could ask for in Hardin, Jackson and Golladay. There was so much potential if we could have held onto Jackson and Golladay, though Jackson seemed to have some work ethic issues.

That being said, I agree that it all starts in building up the line. I think that is why NDSU was so successful as well. They really built up their lineman, and it worked well.

All in all, I think Bubba and Co have done a great job. They seem very balanced in their recruiting.

1 minute ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

I don't believe he took is 1st semester finals.... He's not coming back.

Too bad, about as frustrating as when Chappell left. Probably more frustrating, as this kids had legitimate NFL potential.

Trying not to judge, as this could be for any number of reasons; but definitely too bad.

This might come off as sounding bad but so be it.  I for one am very happy the staff didn't set foot in Arizona or California this year.  Those two states have been an unparalled disaster for us in recruiting, with Arizona being by far the worst.  Not sure one kid has ever panned out from that state.  Plus, some of the softest kids we have ever had have come from there.  I know there is talent in those states but we sure never got it.  

95% of the class from the upper midwest is the way to go.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Interesting ... looks like we had an offer to this kid at one time, and now we could see him as early as next season at the Alerus.

http://herosports.com/news/weber-state-already-has-one-of-fcs-best-qb-recruits-on-campus

I am sure our defense will be happy to show this youngster how FCS ball is played! 

This kid does look like he has the tools to be great though.