SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

As if Schobert wasn't enough. This time we have money on the table though.

I t think the DB group from 2015 is ready to hold it down and ball out in 2016. Carter, Reyes, Harris and Sills played great down the stretch with Palmborg added me season...and the recruits coming in..the backend of the defense will be sold. 

6 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I t think the DB group from 2015 is ready to hold it down and ball out in 2016. Carter, Reyes, Harris and Sills played great down the stretch with Palmborg added me season...and the recruits coming in..the backend of the defense will be sold. 

Depth depth depth depth. We're not quite there yet. We need quality additions like Holm Canady and Ryan. Probably one more actually.

And other than offering scholarships to those of that quality, bringing them in for visits, keeping in touch with them, having current players bond with them what else should they be doing - we're not at the level of buying parent's cars or having donors provide high paying jobs they don't have to show up for. 

2 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I know I might slammed for this. But, Portland State had a kid pass away following surgery to have tonsils removed. 20 year old kid who started 10 games last season.  Kinda puts life and sports in perspective.  

Why would you get slammed? It's tough not to think about stuff like this before a loved one has a surgery of any kind. Must be absolutly terrible for his friends and family.

9 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

We get upset over losing recruits and games. Me included, but there are much bigger things in life to be concerned with.  Like life itself. 

This is terrible news, way to young.  Proof that you never know when you go under for what looked to be a "simple" procedure.  RIP.   

On the recruiting front,Und is simply not at the place to where they can lose any player, most notably a difference maker.   I've always thought losing a player before he arrives hurts less then losing a player that is here and has played.  We could assume players like chinn would of a been a hell of a player, but quite frankly, he hasn't played a down.  50/50 guess.   On the other hand,  losing a player that has played and is a vital ingredient hurts!  Grady was plugged in week 7 and he was a difference maker.  We witnessed his greatness.  Huge huge loss.  Rarely happens that a true freshman starts on the O line.  His accolades were well documented on the field.  

As much as I want all the recruited athletes to come here , if they are really questioning on coming here,  or are already here and are debating about leaving, the best is probably for them to go.  No need for locker room cancer.  Und and bubba need players that are willing to give 100% dedication. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

This is terrible news, way to young.  Proof that you never know when you go under for what looked to be a "simple" procedure.  RIP.  

On the recruiting front,Und is simply not at the place to where they can lose any player, most notably a difference maker.   I've always thought losing a player before he arrives hurts less then losing a player that is here and has played.  We could assume players like chinn would of a been a hell of a player, but quite frankly, he hasn't played a down.  50/50 guess.   On the other hand,  losing a player that has played and is a vital ingredient hurts!  Grady was plugged in week 7 and he was a difference maker.  We witnessed his greatness.  Huge huge loss.  Rarely happens that a true freshman starts on the O line.  His accolades were well documented on the field.

As much as I want all the recruited athletes to come here , if they are really questioning on coming here,  or are already here and are debating about leaving, the best is probably for them to go.  No need for locker room cancer.  Und and bubba need players that are willing to give 100% dedication.

I agree wholeheartedly with you that losing players hurts in many ways. When I first commented on the topic of player departures ("defections"), I highlighted the need for the coaches to connect and re-connect with players that have already left it all on the field. That wasn't a slight against the coaches or players for that matter. But, just like in our personal lives it is good to cultivate and grow the relationship. Grady is a huge loss. Very huge.  But, to me, losing any kid that strapped on a helmet last year, is a huge loss because, by the end of the season chemistry was formed and the team developed an identity and trust among one another.

Some kids will leave and have left, but I wouldn't say that any of them have been a "cancer". "Cancerous" type players tend to stick around and cause chaos in the locker room/overstay their welcome and that doesn't appear to be the case with the kids that have departed so far.

I also agree that you can't miss what you never had so, to lose a recruit that hasn't played a down, is not too big a deal. Coaches leave schools for better offers so, I don't fault a kid for de-committing to be closer to home, go FBS, potential for more playing time, more scholly money, etc. I'm not going to pay his bills so, he doesn't owe me anything.

3 hours ago, jjensen said:

Appears that Michael Griffin is going to Southwest Minnesota St. He had an offer and was on campus a few times. 

Just for clarification, I think Griffin was spring "offer", then see how senior year goes.  There wasn't an official visit setup or much contact lately.  

27 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Just for clarification, I think Griffin was spring "offer", then see how senior year goes.  There wasn't an official visit setup or much contact lately.  

That makes more sense. No one would ever choose SW MN St. over UND. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

I wonder if he was considered more of a PWO after Spring than. I believe he was at minimum of two games this year. Maybe a product of is getting options towards the top of our board. 

7 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

That makes more sense. No one would ever choose SW MN St. over UND. 

More than not, yes.  Happens I guess.

Somebody would have heard about him visiting if they were in contact with him.  Especially with all the corners/safeties they are going after now.  Plus, they just lost Chinn and there is nothing.

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

So who is our next biggest target at CB since we lost Chinn?

Hard to say if we knew about this for a while or not, and were fortunate enough to land Hunt to solidify the corner position already.

I hope to see either 1 more safety or corner for depth and competition.

55 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Hard to say if we knew about this for a while or not, and were fortunate enough to land Hunt to solidify the corner position already.

I hope to see either 1 more safety or corner for depth and competition.

I think they might be looking to bring one in this weekend.