SiouxSports.com Forum

Hugo's South end development

tnt

Hugo's sucks

Anything is better than the poor customer service and poorly-maintained inventory of the Wal-Mart Super Center. I used to go there for some groceries, but I got tired of product running out and not being replaced and putting up with all the prissy missy checkout personnel. And some of the blame for that is on the management for not training them properly.

com·mu·nism

/ˈkɒmthinsp.pngyəˌnɪzthinsp.pngəm/ Show IPA

noun

a theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership being ascribed to the community as a whole or to the state.

( often initial capital letter ) a system of social organization in which all economic and social activity is controlled by a totalitarian state dominated by a single and self-perpetuating political party.

There is a difference between being owned by the community/state and being owned by the employees.

Produce is my biggest problem - if it wasn't so bad, I'd probably overlook the other issues (besides the drearyness of the stores). I'm in grand forks and Target blows them out of the water on the quality of produce, which is quite sad for Hugos. If I had to say where I prefer going, it would probably be Super One. I grew up with Byerly's and am a wannabe chef, so I admittedly have somewhat higher standards.

Worked produce at Hugo's way back. We threw lots away every day/night. Lots. They have nothing to do with the product. It's all from the grocery supplier in this case Nash Finch based out of Twin Cities I believe. Though maybe they were bought out recently??? Huge supplier that I'm sure gives their better product to bigger money markets. And you are right that Target's does look better.

Worked produce at Hugo's way back. We threw lots away every day/night. Lots. They have nothing to do with the product. It's all from the grocery supplier in this case Nash Finch based out of Twin Cities I believe. Though maybe they were bought out recently??? Huge supplier that I'm sure gives their better product to bigger money markets. And you are right that Target's does look better.

Perhaps Hugo's doesn't get resupplied often enough so the produce goes bad? I've noticed it with their avocados... they are either black or bright green it seems like.

Perhaps Hugo's doesn't get resupplied often enough so the produce goes bad? I've noticed it with their avocados... they are either black or bright green it seems like.

Partly. trucks used to show up like 5 or 6 nights a week. Depends if people buy enough early so it gets reordered, but plenty of times what came on the truck wasn't the highest quality.

I've always thought the 32nd Ave location had the best selection. Haven't ever checked out the EGF store. Seems like a timing issue sometimes, which makes sense with the buying patterns of things like that around here plus taking into account the location and time it takes to get fresh produce to a place like Grand Forks, but I've never personally felt that any place in town was head and shoulders above the rest and Hugu's usually seems to have what I need.

Never been a big fan of Hugo's, yes they are okay and get the job done. But I hope they look at Hornbacher's in Fargo when they design the inside of their new store. Much better lighting, cleaner, and more selection!

Hugo's tends to reflect the purchasing power of the neighborhood that they are in. The 32nd St has by far the widest selection, including organics and high end. Those are not found in the north end store. The Columbia Rd, Washington, and EGF stores have minimal selection of the 32nd St store.

Publix stores are not all the same- they reflect the neighborhood income - and neither are Hugo's.