SiouxSports.com Forum

Hugo's South end development

tnt

Hy-Vee needs to expand a bit farther north. They would absolutely blow away the pathetic local/regional chains in this area. Huge stores, great selection, quality breakfast/deli/Chinese food, dining room, gas stations.

I can only hope that the new Hugo's location will take a cue from its contemporary peers…the Grand Forks locations are relics of days long gone.

Hy-Vee needs to expand a bit farther north. They would absolutely blow away the pathetic local/regional chains in this area. Huge stores, great selection, quality breakfast/deli/Chinese food, dining room, gas stations.

I can only hope that the new Hugo's location will take a cue from its contemporary peers…the Grand Forks locations are relics of days long gone.

I have been in grocery stores all over the country. I have yet to see any better stores than Hugo's. Except for Byerlys. So you are saying Krogers, Safeways, Albertsons etc. are better?

So you like shopping at those communist Hy-Vee stores?

Terrible produce, below average deli, average prices at best, dreary stores, poor at removing out of date products. One positive is that they have baggers and paper bags.

Edit: I guess that was two positives :silly:

Will go with you on the produce. Deli not really different than most stores elsewhere. Within 2 miles I have a Fry's (Krogers), Albertson's, and a Safeway and none are better than Hugo's. All more expensive by far. Cheapest and best produce can be found at the Mexican and Asian markets. By the way who are you comparing them to and where?

Will go with you on the produce. Deli not really different than most stores elsewhere. Within 2 miles I have a Fry's (Krogers), Albertson's, and a Safeway and none are better than Hugo's. All more expensive by far. Cheapest and best produce can be found at the Mexican and Asian markets. By the way who are you comparing them to and where?

Produce is my biggest problem - if it wasn't so bad, I'd probably overlook the other issues (besides the drearyness of the stores). I'm in grand forks and Target blows them out of the water on the quality of produce, which is quite sad for Hugos. If I had to say where I prefer going, it would probably be Super One. I grew up with Byerly's and am a wannabe chef, so I admittedly have somewhat higher standards.

Barnes and Nobles will not be on that list. I know it's just a diagram to show what could be. This town needs a Trader Joes and more than anything needs to expand groceries and fast causal restaurants on 42nd.

Development on the south of the town is needed, but that also applies to 42nd. You have tons of apartments and hotels going up. Also, development on 32nd needs to stop. It is the worst infrastructure while shopping or getting a bite to eat. I try to avoid that area on the weekends, but when one has to make a stop at Target, it is just a painful experience.

Barnes and Nobles will not be on that list. I know it's just a diagram to show what could be. This town needs a Trader Joes and more than anything needs to expand groceries and fast causal restaurants on 42nd.

Development on the south of the town is needed, but that also applies to 42nd. You have tons of apartments and hotels going up. Also, development on 32nd needs to stop. It is the worst infrastructure while shopping or getting a bite to eat. I try to avoid that area on the weekends, but when one has to make a stop at Target, it is just a painful experience.

Yeah, I would think that 42nd is going to be the next huge corridor, and what with all the plans the city is already making for that corridor, the restaurants will naturally follow. Think they are looking to get the street widened the rest of the way to 32nd very soon.

Highly unlikely to see a Trader Joes being the warehouse is in Chicago.