SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Pairwise rankings

jimdahl

This is dead on. As long as there are at least three teams from one conference in the tourney two of those teams will be in the same regional.

Or if three teams are in the same seeding band of course. In that case the selection process would disallow two of them being placed in the same regional.

The committee definitely tries to avoid creating the potential that more than two teams make the FF from one conference.

The only way a conference will be represented in three regionals is if that conference gets five or more teams in the tourney.

You're never going to let this go are you? Why don't you and gfhockey go back and forth through pm's?

Oh, I'm fully aware that gfhockey, you, and a few others will be all over me should this season end with ANYTHING less than a national championship trophy...

Oh, I'm fully aware that gfhockey, you, and a few others will be all over me should this season end with ANYTHING less than a national championship trophy...

Not true, the expectations for this team (from my point of view) was not a natty. Just to work hard and learn the college game. The only time I criticize the Sioux is when their compete level is lacking.

HOWEVER... I keep thinking of the Duluth team a few short years ago... hmmmmm...

Not to say that it would happen, but it would be nice to be in that kind of a position come NCAA playoffs...

That bulldog team had a stacked top line and pp. we need our pp to start firing now. 5x5 is looking good...NCAAs have a tendency to be special team fests. We need to fire on the pp and prepare to handle the tv stoppages.

We appear to be a lock for the tourney now.

First things first....business suits and the inaugural Penrose sounds pretty good to me!

HOWEVER... I keep thinking of the Duluth team a few short years ago... hmmmmm...

Not to say that it would happen, but it would be nice to be in that kind of a position come NCAA playoffs...

Well Duluth got hot at the right time...no reason this years UND squad couldn't do the same...obviously they have been playing as well as anyone lately.

Not true, the expectations for this team (from my point of view) was not a natty. Just to work hard and learn the college game. The only time I criticize the Sioux is when their compete level is lacking.

Fair enough. I guess I just get tired of those posters here who consider the season a TOTAL failure if the end result if a season-ending loss.

This is dead on. As long as there are at least three teams from one conference in the tourney two of those teams will be in the same regional.

The committee definitely tries to avoid creating the potential that more than two teams make the FF from one conference.

The only way a conference will be represented in three regionals is if that conference gets five or more teams in the tourney.

This could not be more wrong. I am so tired of people repeating this nonsense.

2006 - CCHA had teams in 3 regionals

2007 - CCHA and Hockey East had teams in 3 regionals

2008 - CCHA had teams in 3 and WCHA had teams in 4 regionals

2009 - CCHA had teams in 4, Hockey East in 3 regionals

2010 - CCHA, WCHA, and Hockey East all had teams in 3 regionals

2011 - CCHA and WCHA had teams in 3 regionals

2012 - CCHA, WCHA, and Hockey East all had teams in 3 regionals

2013 - WCHA had teams in 3 regionals

The NCAA doesn't really care at all what conferences are represented in the tournament especially because it is almost impossible to predict who will advance. They DO care about ticket sales so they will often try to get teams to play close to home as they can but it has nothing to do with trying to avoid a 2005 repeat.

The NCAA doesn't really care at all what conferences are represented in the tournament especially because it is almost impossible to predict who will advance. They DO care about ticket sales so they will often try to get teams to play close to home as they can but it has nothing to do with trying to avoid a 2005 repeat.

Agree that it isn't the motivation. Historically, conferences have been based on geography, so by trying to fill seats, you will likely end up with the result. So, unintended consequences.

What are the odds that UND doesnt get placed in St Paul?

I pushed back my hernia surgery until after the Frozen Faceoff...then I remembered the Regional being down there too. I keep pondering with pushing it back another week and buying tickets for a potential gophers showdown, but it would be awful if they got shipped elsewhere

I pushed back my hernia surgery until after the Frozen Faceoff...then I remembered the Regional being down there too. I keep pondering with pushing it back another week and buying tickets for a potential gophers showdown, but it would be awful if they got shipped elsewhere

If the Gophers finish PWR in 1st, then I'd bet UND goes to St. Paul finishing 7,8,9,10,15,16. If the Gophers finish 2nd or 3rd, it widens the likelihood of UND heading to St. Paul. Only if SCSU or UW end up fitting the bracket better do I think UND gets sent further east. Of course if your boys keep winning they could easily end up playing up to the 4th or 5th seed and likely miss St. Paul.

I think the odds of UND being placed in St Paul are just as good as the odds of you being quite sore for a while. :lol:

bracket integrity means nothing to the committe anymore as long as they continue to have these regionals in places like cincinnatti. they need attendence to be the driving force to cover their asses for placing regionals in these college hockey hotbeds like cincy, fort wayne, grand rapids... The more people they get in st. paul the better($$$) this tourney will be for them.

The only way I see UND possibly not in St. Paul would be if they finished.....3,4,5,6......or possibly 11,12,13,14.

Less certainty with the 11-14 range I'd think with potential of flipping teams for potential 1st round matchups.

I think that if had they won the sat St. Cloud game....3-6 would have been in the cards...

But it's the Pairwise .....anything can still happen.

New USCHO poll is out. Four of the top nine teams are former WCHA teams.

That's easy to say when they're in new conferences. But in the same conference, there would have been head-to-head losses and the result likely would have been fewer teams in that top nine.

The only way I see UND possibly not in St. Paul would be if they finished.....3,4,5,6......or possibly 11,12,13,14.

Less certainty with the 11-14 range I'd think with potential of flipping teams for potential 1st round matchups.

I think that if had they won the sat St. Cloud game....3-6 would have been in the cards...

But it's the Pairwise .....anything can still happen.

I think if they go 4-1 over the next two weekends at a min. and go at least 1-1 in minneapolis they could very well get into the 5-6 range. even then they could still move them to the west regional for atttendence purposes as like I said before last year proved they are no longer concerned about bracket integrity(at least when it concerns BC).

That's easy to say when they're in new conferences. But in the same conference, there would have been head-to-head losses and the result likely would have been fewer teams in that top nine.

That is quite possible, but there is no way to say one way or the other. Probably the most you could say is that each of the four would be beat up more than they are, :)

Take it easy, friend.

The fact is I may have over simplified but your examples still prove my point.

In 2007 the HEA had five teams in and still were only represented in 3 regionals.

It took the WCHA getting six teams in to gain representation in four conferences and they really had no choice since there were three 2 seeds among those six teams so they have to be in three regionals. That was supposed to be my follow up exception in my reply to my own post but, as you can see, nothing showed up but the quoted text.

I believe my point is valid because I've seen too many instances when the WCHA had 4+ teams in the tourney and still landed in two or three regionals. Had a looked it up I would have seen that there were exceptions but I was speaking, or rather typing, from general observations.

Nothing to get too tangled up over though. I mean "so tired of..."? It can't be that big a deal. Can it?