SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Pairwise rankings

jimdahl

Now that USCHO has joined the party (USCHO publishing a PWR ranking identical to SiouxSports' marks the first known identical implementations of the new rules, which increases my confidence we're getting it right), time for the thread.

Pairwise Rankings

USCHO has also started doing bracketology posts. While I get caring who the top 16 are (because they're a decent predictor of the final top 16), I've never understand the interest in laying out regionals as if the season ended today. But, for those who enjoy it:

USCHO bracketology blog

I do have the simulator up with the new PWR/RPI formula so hope to get a forecast up after this weekend's games.

• Upvote 2

Now that USCHO has joined the party (USCHO publishing a PWR ranking identical to SiouxSports' marks the first known identical implementations of the new rules, which increases my confidence we're getting it right), time for the thread.

Pairwise Rankings

USCHO has also started doing bracketology posts. While I get caring who the top 16 are (because they're a decent predictor of the final top 16), I've never understand the interest in laying out regionals as if the season ended today. But, for those who enjoy it:

USCHO bracketology blog

I do have the simulator up with the new PWR/RPI formula so hope to get a forecast up after this weekend's games.

I agree, how many times have we seen the Bracketology blog posts, they will look nothing like they do in March.

I agree, how many times have we seen the Bracketology blog posts, they will look nothing like they do in March.

Even then we are surprised at the brackets when the selection show hits, it's just not worth the time for me.

Besides, I have youtube videos to post Goon. :lol:

Jim, given the NCAA new approach to winning Non-conference road games being more valuable than in the past, is it more important that UND wins in Bemidji? They obviously need both games, but is the one in Bemidji more valuable pairwise wise?

Uscho currently has Sioux tied for 19th in pair wise with Maine...although both teams have identical records, it somehow has Maine with a higher Win %...strange...

Without labeling them as such, they're putting in the traditional record (e.g. each W, L, or T is 1 point) but the weighted win percentage (home wins/road losses worth .8, home losses/road wins worth 1.2).

You can see the weighted records (along with lots of other info behind the calculations of the new RPI) on the RPI team details pages here:

North Dakota RPI details

Those are still works in progress, given all the changes.

hey jim, how do we know who is actually right on this as you and uscho have different results than chn? this could lead to a lot of confusion come march.

CHN does not appear to be using the new formula yet. USCHO, Reilly Hamilton (on the USCHO forums), and I arrived at pretty much identical (Reilly has one slight difference) tables through independent development based on the NCAA's memo. It's possible that we all misinterpreted something, but USCHO generally has reasonably good connections to the committee, which increases my confidence.

Jim, given the NCAA new approach to winning Non-conference road games being more valuable than in the past, is it more important that UND wins in Bemidji? They obviously need both games, but is the one in Bemidji more valuable pairwise wise?

Two part answer:

For RPI, non-conference doesn't really matter, but home/road does. So, the road game at Bemidji is actually twice as important to our weighted win% as the home game vs. Bemidji.

For PWR, the impact to RPI will affect our comparison to teams close to us, but the comparison with Bemidji St isn't really in jeopardy. With only three criteria in the new PWR, each comparison comes down to RPI except when there are head-to-head match ups. Looking at UND's PWR comparisons, UND currently takes both RPI and COP (by a huge margin). If Bemidji took both head-to-head games, that would result in a 2-2 tie, so the comparison would still go to UND on the basis of RPI. If Bemidji took both head-to-head games and eventually took RPI or COP, UND would lose the comparison. But, unless Bemidji goes an amazing surge, that would mean UND had fallen so far it wouldn't matter much anyway.

Based on this season's ooc record for the nchc....has und ever been in such a weak conference? Not trying to point any fingers at the conference.....with a better showing earlier on in the season und wouldn't be in this situation. But their conference's record vs ooc teams is terrible.

At this point und is not a bubble team. If they win 2 out of 3 from here on out they will be a bubble team. Right now they are on the outside looking in.

it will all come down to their rpi, as the nchc ooc record isn't stinging und too bad. every team that is above und in the pairwise their comparison can be flipped if und gets a better rpi. rpi obviously goes up with wins and down with losses, it's a lot to ask considering they are on a 9 game unbeaten streak but und will at some point need to have another stretch of 5-7 games where they go unbeaten to start to put them self in into a more comfortable bubble situation.

I was very uncomfortable when last season I heard our new conference referred to as "The Super Conference" ... "Arrogant" is what I thought. Now, more than halfway through the season the super conf has only one team in top 16 of pairwise. That team, St. Cloud had to lobby to get an invite, as I remember they were not asked at the start. Maybe Norte Dame knew something when they took a pass on their invitation. UND has been winning more of late but based on the pairwise and the natl. polls there really is little on our dance-card that will improve our standing. St. Cloud is out there for a second series so that's a good thing. If we keep winning I would think we'll crack the top 16. Who woulda thunk?