SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Olympic Hockey

Ray77

Yep, surely I'm the ONLY person in the world who feels that way. :silly:

I like Martin St Louis a lot and he has had an incredible career. I have no problem with him being an Olympic selection. But to say he's a no-brainer over Claude Giroux is rather absurd.

USA women beat Finland 3-1, with Tapani picking up the goal for Finland. Hopefully USA can beat Canada and ensure that they avoid both Canada and the Finns until the gold medal game.

Karvinen with the assist as well.

My philosophy for Olympic hockey has been this in the past (especially the men's US/CAN game in 2010):

If a non-US player must score against the US, I'd at least prefer it be a UND player.

If a UND player is playing against a team other than the US, I hope they score.

I'll take any US player scoring, but it'd be even better if it were a UND player.

Essentially, country first...UND a close second.

• Upvote 1

That USA-Finland game might as well have been a commercial for UND and the Grand Cities. Doc and Pierre clearly have an affinity for us. That publicity is priceless. It's why having women's hockey is smart. Would love to see a rematch for the gold. Hopefully REA bids for a women's worlds soon, as that would be huge for international recruiting and only bid the UND women's program more. It's also great to get any World class event into our community.

• Upvote 1

I like the new format idea for women's hockey. The top teams are all in the same group, but they all also advance to next round. The rest fight for two (?) spots in medal rounds.

Hopefully this helps women's hockey as it is in danger of being done away with much like softball was. Only saving grace is that men's hockey isn't going anywhere so gender equity might be enough to keep it.

That USA-Finland game might as well have been a commercial for UND and the Grand Cities. Doc and Pierre clearly have an affinity for us. That publicity is priceless. It's why having women's hockey is smart. Would love to see a rematch for the gold. Hopefully REA bids for a women's worlds soon, as that would be huge for international recruiting and only bid the UND women's program more. It's also great to get any World class event into our community.

Given that Women's Worlds were in Burlington Vermont not that long ago, it would seem indeed that a bid from the Ralph would be well received by IIHF.

I like the new format idea for women's hockey. The top teams are all in the same group, but they all also advance to next round. The rest fight for two (?) spots in medal rounds.

Hopefully this helps women's hockey as it is in danger of being done away with much like softball was. Only saving grace is that men's hockey isn't going anywhere so gender equity might be enough to keep it.

Can we follow this same philosophy at the next summer Olympics in the marathon and the men's 100 meter race because the US is at a disadvantage compared to Ethiopia, Sudan, and Somalia, not to mention, Jamaica?

great quotes/interviews by NBCsn in the Swiss game...especially the 2nd period interview with Mo! Pierre did a nice Q&A with her and talked about "what made you girls so tough?" Mo talked about growing up her brothers and Pierre finished with "EVERYONE IN GRAND FORKS MUST BE GOING WWOOOO! right now" - anyone else catch that? VERY COOL???!!!!

I'm glad the USA won the game...but that 9-0 final is exactly the ammunition that the IOC wants to get rid of women's Olympic hockey altogether. Here's hoping that the gold medal game is USA vs Finland so the parity argument can be made for keeping the sport around another four years.

On the eve of the men's tournament starting, I thought this would be a great video to share. A great quote from the video at 2:28:

"I would say the most important decision that Herb made was when he took David Christian and moved him from center ice. By making David Christian a defenseman, all of a sudden we got the puck out of our end consistently...changed the whole team."

- Lou Vairo, 1980 coaching program director, USA Hockey

Great video, Ray77. I'm always amazed by the number of hockey "fans" who remember winning the gold medal "against the Soviets." It's incredible how many people think that that was the gold medal game. Can you imagine how much less that game would be discussed today had the US lost to Finland?

Great video, Ray77. I'm always amazed by the number of hockey "fans" who remember winning the gold medal "against the Soviets." It's incredible how many people think that that was the gold medal game. Can you imagine how much less that game would be discussed today had the US lost to Finland?

Instead of consistently being talked about as the greatest US sports moment in history, it would be "I seem to recall that US hockey won a game against the Soviets in 1980, or something like that, and it was a pretty big deal at the time".

I also like hearing about the story where Brooks addressed the team before the game against the Finns. A part of that story was told in that video, but the PG version. The way it was told to me was that Herb walked in and all he told the team that if they lost this game they'd take it to their graves. As he walked out, he stopped, turned around and yelled "TO YOUR F__ING GRAVES!"

Gives me goosebumps just thinking about that moment in time...how huge it was, what it meant, etc.