SiouxSports.com Forum

Poll: New Head Coach

bincitysioux

New HC Poll  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer gets the job?

• Bubba Schwiegert
    • Kalen DeBoer

Here's the deal. It really doesn't matter who gets the job as long as they can recruit some high level talent (the players play the game, not the coaches). Also, whoever secures the job isn't going to turn this mess around in one year but will probably need at least 3 years to get us back to a competitive level.

P.S. Everybody have a nice Christmas and "GO FIGHTING SIOUX"!

UND has had talent...too bad a bunch of it just transferred away. Nevertheless, the point is this team has had more issues than just sub-par talent. No discipline and "fire" from the players would be a start. On top of that, Big Sky coaches were "out-coaching" the former staff all the time it seemed. Players were out of position on defense quite often, and there was no physicality to the offense - just the ability to give the ball away to the other team.

Those sort of things go beyond just the players; the coaches need to establish a winning culture. But, of course, recruiting is very very important as well, and I think Bubba understands the type of athletes that DI football requires from his time at Southern Illinois.

He was an assistant coach at UND for a decade prior to getting the DC job.

I'm aware of that but he still took a chance to move up after 5 years in a position. I'm guessing as a defensive assistant at D2 school he didn't have too many opportunities to move up. That changed when he had success as a DC and he left when he had a chance. I don't think Bubba is necessarily any more loyal than Deboer would be.

I'm aware of that but he still took a chance to move up after 5 years in a position. I'm guessing as a defensive assistant at D2 school he didn't have too many opportunities to move up. That changed when he had success as a DC and he left when he had a chance. I don't think Bubba is necessarily any more loyal than Deboer would be.

I'm going to vehemently disagree with you on this...1000%

• Upvote 2

He didn't leave to become DC at UMD, he left to become a HEAD COACH. Now am I saying he'd stay even after going undefeated for 3 straight years? Of course not. But, like Bohl at ndsu, it would take more than $25k to make him leave.

I agree

Here's the deal. It really doesn't matter who gets the job as long as they can recruit some high level talent (the players play the game, not the coaches). Also, whoever secures the job isn't going to turn this mess around in one year but will probably need at least 3 years to get us back to a competitive level.

P.S. Everybody have a nice Christmas and "GO FIGHTING SIOUX"!

Agree. Regardless of who the coach is, this is a 2-3 year rebuild project.

If we get 5-6 wins next year, I'll be ecstatic. Not because I have low expectations for this program, because that's the reality of the situation we are in.

We will need some patience to turn it around. (cue axl)

Hasn't Bubba already bolted after having some success? Why would it be any different this time around?

Regardless, that should not be a factor. If the guy we hire is so successful that he has a chance to move up to a bigger job then UND football will be in a much better place than it is today and that's all we can ask out of our head coach.

^^^^

This. I don't really care that we are not hiring a "name" coach...I would much rather our next Coach make a name for himself here and if a higher program pulls him out of here after 4 or 5 years that will have meant he was successful here and the culture has changed and he also likely would be surrounded by exceptional coaching talent and the next coach would already likely be on staff.

• Upvote 1

^^^^

This. I don't really care that we are not hiring a "name" coach...I would much rather our next Coach make a name for himself here and if a higher program pulls him out of here after 4 or 5 years that will have meant he was successful here and the culture has changed and he also likely would be surrounded by exceptional coaching talent and the next coach would already likely be on staff.

So you'd want to be on the verge of a third consecutive national championship and have your coach leave?

I, much like what seems like a majority of the posters in this thread, would prefer to wallow in mediocrity with someone who is loyal to UND and will stick around.

So you'd want to be on the verge of a third consecutive national championship and have your coach leave?

I, much like what seems like a majority of the posters in this thread, would prefer to wallow in mediocrity with someone who is loyal to UND and will stick around.

Aye, that's the rub in a nutshell. Hell with nattys, we want one of us.

Hope that's some verbal irony, otherwise that might be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Rather have someone loyal then back-to-back national championships? Long time coaches don't exist in the FCS unless they're mediocre. So saying goodbye to a FCS head coach after five years usually means your program is really good or really bad. In our case, we're really bad.

Oh ok.

Since it's such a good conference....I tend to look at how each side rates versus the rest of the conference itself (due to their conference strength versus the rest of the FCS). Plenty of offenses and defenses rank higher in the country due to playing in lesser conferences and competition.

Valley

Offense: PPG 28.5 (4th), YPG 385 (3)

Defense: PPG 25.2 (5th), YPG 362 (6)