SiouxSports.com Forum

Expectations for Next Season & New Coach?

Cratter

I see UND under Bubba slowing the tempo and pace of the game down. Cut out about 12 snaps a game which is 2-4 possessions. Keeping the offense on the field for longer periods of time allows you to hide a little of your depth issues on defense. As dominant as NDSU was on defense this year, I don't think Bison fans will tell you they were overly deep on defense and rotating 7 or 8 additional guys in like some teams do.....Their offense operates at pretty much the same tempo and pace game in and game out which allows their D to be rested and fresh.(getting 3 and outs helps as well)

I think UND will have a gameplan on offense and try to stick to it as much as possible...many times under Muss it seemed like we went into games with a well lets see what happens and react to it plan instead of dictating our game. Many times a game would get over and it was like "well, we just couldn't run the ball" and I was thinking "Are you sure? There is a difference between not being able to run the ball and not running the ball"

The biggest thing we need on defense is some guys who can cover in the secondary, someone to plug the middle and occupy 2 blockers and some speed at linebacker. This will allow us to bring pressure out of the 3-4 instead of the passive 3-4 we have played the last few seasons. I would rather see us give up a big play here and there with a chance at causing turnovers vs. getting gouged for 8-12 yards every down. I know Bubba said that initially we will probably be a team that bends and hopefully doesn't break but eventually I think he will have the personnel in place to be able to bring heat on defense. I think we will start putting our best athletes on defenserather than stockpiling running backs and wide outs on offense.

I see UND under Bubba slowing the tempo and pace of the game down. Cut out about 12 snaps a game which is 2-4 possessions. Keeping the offense on the field for longer periods of time allows you to hide a little of your depth issues on defense. As dominant as NDSU was on defense this year, I don't think Bison fans will tell you they were overly deep on defense and rotating 7 or 8 additional guys in like some teams do.....Their offense operates at pretty much the same tempo and pace game in and game out which allows their D to be rested and fresh.(getting 3 and outs helps as well)

I think UND will have a gameplan on offense and try to stick to it as much as possible...many times under Muss it seemed like we went into games with a well lets see what happens and react to it plan instead of dictating our game. Many times a game would get over and it was like "well, we just couldn't run the ball" and I was thinking "Are you sure? There is a difference between not being able to run the ball and not running the ball"

The biggest thing we need on defense is some guys who can cover in the secondary, someone to plug the middle and occupy 2 blockers and some speed at linebacker. This will allow us to bring pressure out of the 3-4 instead of the passive 3-4 we have played the last few seasons. I would rather see us give up a big play here and there with a chance at causing turnovers vs. getting gouged for 8-12 yards every down. I know Bubba said that initially we will probably be a team that bends and hopefully doesn't break but eventually I think he will have the personnel in place to be able to bring heat on defense. I think we will start putting our best athletes on defenserather than stockpiling running backs and wide outs on offense.

I like this analysis and would love to see some DL guys that could win the battle in the trenches. Secondary is important to get better at, but when you have the guys up front that can create pressure, it makes it a lot easier on the secondary. Offensively, I don't think we will be as bad as some might think, but again we need to win at the line of scrimmage in order for play action to be effective.

Some may doubt Bubba, but I think he and his new staff will do a fantastic job of getting the program back on track, although it may take a couple of years to do so.

I like this analysis and would love to see some DL guys that could win the battle in the trenches. Secondary is important to get better at, but when you have the guys up front that can create pressure, it makes it a lot easier on the secondary. Offensively, I don't think we will be as bad as some might think, but again we need to win at the line of scrimmage in order for play action to be effective.

Some may doubt Bubba, but I think he and his new staff will do a fantastic job of getting the program back on track, although it may take a couple of years to do so.

That has been missing for the last few years. They don't need to sack the QB but get in his face, make him scramble, bat passes back at him. When you don't have a pass rush and the QB has 5-8 seconds to sit back, scan the field, and hit a receiver, then your secondary is going to suffer.

i expect to see a power "run first" offense and a shut down defense. Also a quarterback to emerge from the Molberg/Bartels debate. As well as a team that is competitive in every game and that makes the post season. Will that happen week 1? Probably not. Could it happen next season, sure. But I am willing to be patient given the recent player transfers and new coaching staff. I know many of us were excited about the schedule last year. But I thnk s football fans should be more excited about the 2014 season. Bubba has brought some great coaches in. We will see what he can do with this team, especially the defense. Overall, I am most looking to seeing a much improved defense.

I want to get back to a vicious pass rush that has the QB running for his health and life, not sitting in the pocket with 4-5 seconds to find an open receiver. I want some tough, physical corners and if that means giving up some speed and athleticism, then so be it. I want safeties that are intelligent enough to help out both the run and pass defense. And I want linebackers that do what our linebackers used to do, beat the snot out of people. And with Bubba and Schmidt on the coaching staff, I think that is what we will get.

I want Sack City to actually mean something again. Please. Please get pressure while on defense. Do that and it will help out our mostly non-existent secondary.

Every great FB defense (no matter the level of competition) that I have ever watched included a pass rush. The 2001 UND defense made it next to impossible for QBs to function; they were running for their lives most of the time. I think Bubba will bring that back. And please, no more 10 yard cushions for opposing WRs; I am so sick and tired of that.

Every great FB defense (no matter the level of competition) that I have ever watched included a pass rush. The 2001 UND defense made it next to impossible for QBs to function; they were running for their lives most of the time. I think Bubba will bring that back. And please, no more 10 yard cushions for opposing WRs; I am so sick and tired of that.

That's what's puzzled me about our defense the last few seasons. It almost looks like they're playing a prevent cover 2. Cushions on receivers are fine if you're playing a 3 deep zone with a safety stepping up and linebackers in the flats but they were often giving those big cushions with two high safeties. It essentially left underneath routes wide open and is a pretty awful alignment to blitz out of. The 3-4 defense is meant to manufacture pressure and confuse the blockers, forcing quarterbacks and running backs to make decisions under duress. The problem is that when you run the type of coverage on the back end that we have been it makes those decisions very easy when receivers running hot routes are given room to do whatever they want.

I want to see corners right up in the grills of opposing receivers and linebackers blitzing from multiple angles. On offense I want to see heavy doses of Shaugaby and Sharp with Dustin Iverson leading the way.

That's what's puzzled me about our defense the last few seasons. It almost looks like they're playing a prevent cover 2. Cushions on receivers are fine if you're playing a 3 deep zone with a safety stepping up and linebackers in the flats but they were often giving those big cushions with two high safeties. It essentially left underneath routes wide open and is a pretty awful alignment to blitz out of. The 3-4 defense is meant to manufacture pressure and confuse the blockers, forcing quarterbacks and running backs to make decisions under duress. The problem is that when you run the type of coverage on the back end that we have been it makes those decisions very easy when receivers running hot routes are given room to do whatever they want.

I want to see corners right up in the grills of opposing receivers and linebackers blitzing from multiple angles. On offense I want to see heavy doses of Shaugaby and Sharp with Dustin Iverson leading the way.

To have success in the BSC you must be able to rush the passer and cover, or be able to score enough to keep pace with the top teams.

I may be reading it wrong, but Bubba would seem to prefer playing defense to a track meet.

The 10 yard cushion year after year irritated me more than anything else from the Muss era. It looked like we started the game in a prevent. I know that our corners weren't strong, but we could have least tried to play like the big boys.

• Upvote 1

Allow me to summarize my expectation quite simply:

Time of Possession per Game (2013 all games)

Team Team Opponent

NDSU 33:40 26:20

UND 28:05 31:55

I'd like to see UND start to win the Time of Possession battle in games.

Why?

- dictate the tempo

- keep the defense off the field

When you have the ball you tend to act as the composed team and the opponent tends to go into a scrambling, rushed, error-prone mode when they do get it.

Now, how do you do this?

Well, first, you need an offensive philosophy that values possession of the ball and thinks about more than down-and-distance, thinks about clock management, during play calling. Then, you need a defense that is angry when the other team has the ball (and will do the nasty things, five and six man blitzes, wrap-up-stand-up-rip-it-out tackles, required to get the ball back).

So trying to swing back the pissing contest to the point of the thread.... San Jose State. In 2012 we did a track meet with San Diego State, 2011 Fresno St had to come back to beat UND, 2010 UND lost by 6 to NIU, is this the year UND gets its first FBS win and make SDSU as the only Dakota team not to defeat one?

San Jose St lost its starting QB, (back up is very untested thowing only 6 passes including a pick), Starting RB is now a Soph, had 788 yds last season, they lost their starting WR to graduation (79 rec for 1356 yds 15 td). 15th in yards per game out of 123 FBS teams (not including reclassifying teams), 103rd in yds per game on defense.

UND was 66th in the FCS in offense and 90th in defense (by total yds). I think this game could make or break our season, if we win I see major improvements and a good season ahead, if we get blown out, we have a long way to go, and if we lose like the last 3 FBS games we played (average loss by a TD), then its still a wait and see approach.

I agree. I'm thinking this is a game we either have to win or get close in. With San Jose down, we had better not lose by more than 10. New season has to mean different result. We need that FBS win and this is a good place to start. As I said, no blow outs.

Polasek has never been a coordinator before, never called plays. Entz has been a defensive coordinator for one year at FCS level. Hedberg - meh. We know how he is. Think about it for a minute - find it funny that Bubba didn't ask him to come to UND? I know he didn't.

Their staff just took a fairly big dip, IMO. Will they be good, sure. But they are bringing in the same level of experience that UND is. Hell, Kleiman was a head coach for one year total at DIII.

Expanding on my comment about their staff, I am hearing their new D-line coach Cain may be in the running for the New Mexico State def. coord. job. If he gets it he is gone.

Our staff is looking pretty good right now experience wise.

When we talk about the decline of the program at the ac, what exactly do we think that means? Is there anyone here that believes they wont be a perennial playoff team that makes a playoff run ever few years? I certainly don't think they will be looking at consecutive titles again, but I think a decade long slide equally unlikely. With Georgia Southern and App St gone, and an expanded playoff field, the road to the top has become even easier. Aren't they in a similar position to Montana and Eastern in the BSC? Missing the playoffs occasionally, but generally speaking they are always around the top 10?

Agree. I don't where all this comes from that FU is going to fall into the abyss starting next season. In the history of college football, there are only 37 programs that have won more games than the Bison. That's across DI, DII, the old College Division, and Pre-NCAA.

There are a lot of North Dakota fans that I wish would get it out of their heads that the rise of Sioux football must inherently coincide with the demise of FU football, because it just isn't so. We have always, ALWAYS, traditionally had one of the best programs in the country. Only 51 programs have more wins all time than does UND.

People need to stop wishing the worst for FU, and hoping for the best for North Dakota.

I know Bubba said that initially we will probably be a team that bends and hopefully doesn't break but eventually I think he will have the personnel in place to be able to bring heat on defense. I think we will start putting our best athletes on defenserather than stockpiling running backs and wide outs on offense.

I have always hated the phrase "bend but don't break". We need to break.......................break the other team in half.

i expect to see a power "run first" offense and a shut down defense. Also a quarterback to emerge from the Molberg/Bartels debate.

I want to see that attacking defense that Bubba has talked about. It has been pointed out by others, the 3-4 is supposed to be aggressive and confusing. Ours has been passive and cautious of late.

I want to see the opposing QB on his back. If our LB's aren't good enough to put him there, mix it up. Safety blitzes, CB blitzes. With as many WR that see the field in the Big Sky, send the DBack covering the slot guy.............often.

So trying to swing back the pissing contest to the point of the thread.... San Jose State. In 2012 we did a track meet with San Diego State, 2011 Fresno St had to come back to beat UND, 2010 UND lost by 6 to NIU, is this the year UND gets its first FBS win and make SDSU as the only Dakota team not to defeat one?

San Jose St lost its starting QB, (back up is very untested thowing only 6 passes including a pick), Starting RB is now a Soph, had 788 yds last season, they lost their starting WR to graduation (79 rec for 1356 yds 15 td). 15th in yards per game out of 123 FBS teams (not including reclassifying teams), 103rd in yds per game on defense.

UND was 66th in the FCS in offense and 90th in defense (by total yds). I think this game could make or break our season, if we win I see major improvements and a good season ahead, if we get blown out, we have a long way to go, and if we lose like the last 3 FBS games we played (average loss by a TD), then its still a wait and see approach.

Seriously? ???

So if an FBS team, playing in a money game, to open the season, against a first year HC, leading a 3-8 team from the prior year, that lost its best players has its way with us the season is broken?

I like to think I have high standards for North Dakota, but I also like to think I live in a place called reality.

• Upvote 1

Seriously? ???

So if an FBS team, playing in a money game, to open the season, against a first year HC, leading a 3-8 team from the prior year, that lost its best players has its way with us the season is broken?

I like to think I have high standards for North Dakota, but I also like to think I live in a place called reality.

So UND goes to San Jose loses 44-0 I see a long season, we lose 27-21 then it's wait and see, we win and that is saying something. Even a Muss team stayed right with Texas Tech back when we had a defense. So what's your expectations since you slam everyone's opinion?

Easy boys, we are all on the same team here! ;)

I think next season will be more about improvement from week to week, work ethic, attitude....all the intangibles that have been missing from this program for so long. We won't win a lot of games, but we will make our opponents earn whatever they get. That should help set the stage for the future.

So UND goes to San Jose loses 44-0 I see a long season, we lose 27-21 then it's wait and see, we win and that is saying something. Even a Muss team stayed right with Texas Tech back when we had a defense. So what's your expectations since you slam everyone's opinion?

I don't think I slam everyones opinion. I think it is misguided at very best (to be very polite) to say that the season opener against an FBS team is a "make or break" game.

I think a .500 record next season would be a monumental success. There are no "make or break" games in the case of UND football in 2014 as far as I am concerned.

I see at least 3 possibly 4 losses for the Ag school and 4-5 wins for UND. The good news is that progress will be made and the following 2 years should be making a push at the playoffs.

If UND coaches have the same attitude against Agriculture that UND fans have, I can see why they don't do real well on the recruiting trail with the big offensive and defensive lineman (or other positions) at the small town North Dakota and rural Minnesota schools.