SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Center Replays

BigGame

So the bids were received and opened 10 days ago. Has anyone heard any of the numbers as far as estimated cost of this project?

Here is the link to the bid page. I can't quite decipher exactly what the actual project will entail in terms how it will look different from what is currently there. The last link looks like it has the submitted bids. Icon at $923K and Daktronics at $945K for the lump sum. They varied on who was lowest on the various Alternative bids.

The current display has pixels that are spaced 23mm apart and utilize lamp style LEDs. The bid is asking for products that have pixels that are spaced approximately 15mm apart and utilize 3-in-1 SMD style LEDs. This will provide a very nice increase in resolution and image quality, especially with larger boards.

Hopefully Alerus management decides to spend a little more and go with the world leading supplier of LED video boards that is located just a couple hours to the south (and employs UND alumn) than going with product sourced from China.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm assuming it's a replacement for the old video boards. These new boards should have higher resolution so they should be clearer.

I'm wondering if the sound system will be improved this season?

Hopefully. One problem is the acoustics echo; great for crowd noise, not so much for music.

http://www.nytimes.c...=tw-share&_r=1#

Interesting article on Daktronics. The Betty needs boards, as this articles states, as a way to attract younger people.

The prevailing wisdom among sports executives now is that younger fans raised on smartphones are less willing to attend live events because they are cut off from the online content they find compelling.

Giant scoreboards, they hope, will quench that digital addiction while generating new advertising revenue. They can also become attractions like the enormous video screen in the Dallas Cowboys’ stadium, which opened in 2009.

I'm hoping the increased video board size will positively influence the game day atmosphere. And I think it will.

Hope the audio is also improved.

I was also going to say I hope the audio is improved too. You can't really understand what they are saying. I also hope they kept the intro music as Welcome to the Jungle.

http://www.grandfork...football-season

Here's an article on the new video boards going up in the Alerus. I'm afraid the first line of the article doesn't ooze much confidence in the 2014 UND football team; actually, it sounds like the Grand Forks media expects another 3 or 4 win season.

Let's hope Bubba proves them wrong and gets this thing to 5 or 6 wins in 2014 and then on to bigger things in 2015!

I'll post this question here since it relates to the Alerus and football.

Can't say I blame them with such a difference in revenue, but any thoughts as to why the revenue at the Al is so comparatively poor? Simply a function of walk up traffic due to market size?

http://www.inforum.c...ome-near-future

I will speculate that a big part of the difference is the fact that you can almost count on a Fargo team being in the AAA championship game virtually every year, generally against Bismarck High. Aside from GFC in 1996, 2004 and 2005, GF schools just haven't had much success in football in the past 25 years or so. And without that local team in the title game, attendance is bound to suffer. With regard to the other classes (9-man, A and AA), I doubt the difference in attendance between the two venues is very large, but I have no numbers to back that up.

I'll post this question here since it relates to the Alerus and football.

Can't say I blame them with such a difference in revenue, but any thoughts as to why the revenue at the Al is so comparatively poor? Simply a function of walk up traffic due to market size?

http://www.inforum.c...ome-near-future

If you go back to when Class AAA started, one of the 3 (now 4) Fargo schools has probably been in the championship nearly every year. Also, Shanley has put together a nice run and has been playing in the championship the last number of year. Even years when one of the Fargo teams is not in the championship, you have a pool of fans from 4 class A schools in the same city. Most likely two of those schools were playing in the semi finals the week before and will have an interest in the game.

Not hard to figure out where the revenue differences are coming from.

If you go back to when Class AAA started, one of the 3 (now 4) Fargo schools has probably been in the championship nearly every year. Also, Shanley has put together a nice run and has been playing in the championship the last number of year. Even years when one of the Fargo teams is not in the championship, you have a pool of fans from 4 class A schools in the same city. Most likely two of those schools were playing in the semi finals the week before and will have an interest in the game.

Not hard to figure out where the revenue differences are coming from.

This makes sense for football, but this doesn't explain why the state hockey tournament is being moved to Fargo. Grand Forks teams are almost always in the hunt for state championships, while Fargo teams make much less frequent trips to the state title game. It's only a matter of time before all (or almost all) state tournaments are held in Fargo every single year. Imperial Cass County's Silver Platter keeps getting more and more plates added to it.

This makes sense for football, but this doesn't explain why the state hockey tournament is being moved to Fargo. Grand Forks teams are almost always in the hunt for state championships, while Fargo teams make much less frequent trips to the state title game. It's only a matter of time before all (or almost all) state tournaments are held in Fargo every single year. Imperial Cass County's Silver Platter keeps getting more and more plates added to it.

Support the tournaments if you want them. Simple right?
  • Downvote 1

I guess I really didn't understand the scale of those boards until I saw the picture in that article with a worker standing in the video board looking tiny.

http://www.grandfork...FH_.VIDEOS1.jpg

If I remember correctly, the previous scoreboard was 4x3 and this one is 16x9. It likely means additional upgrades have taken place to improve the cameras and other equipment in order to send the 16x9 feed to that board. I'm a little biased but I think an in-house video board does wonders for the fans. I don't think it will necessarily improve the atmosphere but being able to see replays just like at home can sway some people to go to games.