SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I go back and forth on this on almost a daily basis, I have come to the conclusion that Bubba is the better recruiter and Deboer IMO is the better coach. I will take the better recruiter in this case and hope he can bring in a strong supporting staff. This is just my gut talking....

You basically said you don't want the better coach to be the coach?!

I will take the better coach and hope he brings in a strong support staff to recruit.

• Upvote 2

You basically said you don't want the better coach to be the coach?!

I will take the better coach and hope he brings in a strong support staff to recruit.

I certainly did, I am a firm believer that a head coach is only as good as the assistants he brings in. I just think that with Bubba's connections and experience, the overall staff would be stronger with better recruiting .

I also could just be talking silly because I am so sick of even thinking about this.......someones gotta have some inside info so my brain can move on to something else.

• Upvote 2

Watched NDSU-NH last night.

Watching NW Missouri/Lenoir-Rhyne DII championship right now.

The difference between the two is obvious.

Can't believe we harken back to the days of our DII success to resurrect this program.

UND/GF area has always bugged me. Think small be small.

Meanwhile 70 miles south we have a university/town that dares to grow and be better.

Watched NDSU-NH last night.

Watching NW Missouri/Lenoir-Rhyne DII championship right now.

The difference between the two is obvious.

Can't believe we harken back to the days of our DII success to resurrect this program.

UND/GF area has always bugged me. Think small be small.

Meanwhile 70 miles south we have a university/town that dares to grow and be better.

I'll maybe agree with you after I see the staff either of these guys has put together. I originally wasn't sold on the idea someone mentioned earlier but perhaps there is a chance we sign a guy like Pflugaard to an O-Cord/Asst. Head Coach position. Bubba could tell him the offense is yours and Bubba can focus on the defense with Schmidt and whomever else he brings in. I don't think we need to offer over $150,000 to get either of the two finalists so Faison needs to use that money on filling the staff.

I am balling my eyes out

http://www.undsports...21&SPSID=334852

look how big our O line was. true hogs.

and our D stopped the vaunted GVSU offense that year that tore up every

pop questions - who was our d coordinator that came up with the game plan to stump them?

That was amazing!! One thing I noticed on that drive is the time the QB had to look over his receivers and throw. UND does need an OL like that again.

man had the guts to call a blitz on the last play of the game...im still freaking crying.

Split Fire Prevent. If memory serves me right, it was Kotelniki who called "Charlie" on that play and lost contain?

The thing to remember is that at that point in time, zone-blitz schemes were a relative unknown. They worked because no one understood the scheme. Since everyone now runs some version of the zone-blitz schemes the Steelers created, it's not as unblockable as it once seemed.

What and in what order are the first five things a new coach needs to do at UND?

As far as what positions to improve:

1. Defense (all positions)

2. OL

3. RB

4. QB

5. Special Teams

Overall improvement:

1. Discipline (on the bench with players actions, on the field with penalties)

2. Fundamentals (play to the whistle)

3. Trust (the players need to trust the new coach and each other, people lost faith with Muss)

4. Accountability (if you lose, man up no toe to toe crap anymore)

5. WIN!

I am balling my eyes out

http://www.undsports...21&SPSID=334852

look how big our O line was. true hogs.

and our D stopped the vaunted GVSU offense that year that tore up every

pop questions - who was our d coordinator that came up with the game plan to stump them?

When they went to Ed on the radio for the last two scoring plays my heart was in my throat. Was like I was watching it 12 years ago when I was a Freshman in college.....what a tremendous team win. :)

What and in what order are the first five things a new coach needs to do at UND?

1 Recruit

2 Recruit

3 Recruit

4 Recruit

5 Recruit

I think numbers 4 and 5 could be turned around. The best coach in the world can't do $hit if they don't have talent on the field.

• Upvote 4

If Bubba is the obvious choice and bleeds green and is a UND guy. Why did he go to SIU 5 years ago? He should have taken the job when Dale left..

If Bubba is the obvious choice and bleeds green and is a UND guy. Why did he go to SIU 5 years ago? He should have taken the job when Dale left..

I agree that Bubba should have been the choice to be our coach when Lennon left.......but that was never an option for him at the time.

1. Offensive line -- it sets the tempo for the whole team, offense and defense (keeps them off field)

2. Defensive line -- you win an lose up front

3. Get the fans back.

4. Secondary -- you have to cover

5. A real DI running back

I believe that UND has LB and QB talent available. I'm not sure about WR anymore, but, that would come in outside the top five.

1. Offensive line -- it sets the tempo for the whole team, offense and defense (keeps them off field)

2. Defensive line -- you win an lose up front

3. Get the fans back.

4. Secondary -- you have to cover

5. A real DI running back

I believe that UND has LB and QB talent available. I'm not sure about WR anymore, but, that would come in outside the top five.

Can't argue with this. I think there could be some young potential to help with #'s 1 and 2 but our new staff has to be able to develop young talent. Only change I would make is look at moving #5 up the list. We might have one on the roster but all we saw last year was Miller and Garmin. The same guy in Illinois who labeled Golloday as one of the top 5 WR his senior year said Sharp was one of the biggest steals in last years recruiting class. Hope he goes 2 of 2 on his predictions.

Overall improvement:

1. Fundamentals

2. Coaching

3. Fan and University Support.... Hockey School and it shows.

There won't be a lot of support at any school for a 3-8 team. The big loses at the beginning of the year weren't good either. Last year excitement was built, more season tickets were purchased than any year in history, Champions donations were the highest they have ever been and enough money was raised to build a state of the art IPF. The support is there and as an alum, if teams win, they will get fan support. When the football team is annaully ranked in the top 25 of FCS, I have no doubt the team will get the support. The past has shown that.

Won't argue #1. #2 is being addressed.

• Upvote 3

I agree that Bubba should have been the choice to be our coach when Lennon left.......but that was never an option for him at the time.

So, you are saying UND passed him over to promote Muss.. I say bull, Dale and Bubba took off together for SUI and turned there back on UND - that is why I don't want anything to do with either of them now.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see a coach come in who can get young talent on the field quickly. I am tired of hearing about the good group of young LBs, hearing that J Butler is stud, etc, and then hearing they don't understand their assignments and roles in the defense well enough to be playing yet. So the biggest priority in my opinion would be getting a defense in place that is based on the strengths and talents of the players on the roster, and is implemented in a way that doesn't keep good players off the field.

So, you are saying UND passed him over to promote Muss.. I say bull, Dale and Bubba took off together for SUI and turned there back on UND - that is why I don't want anything to do with either of them now.

I don't feel like Dale and Bubba turned their back on UND. They had a opportunity to move up to D-1AA and make more money. You really can't blame someone for wanting to further their career.