SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Did anyone else watch UND Sports Extra last night with Faison. Faison mentioned first they rank the candidates on a point system. Then will call and do phone interviews with about the top 15. From there he will pick 4 or 5 for on campus interviews. He thought someone would be hired around xmas. What bothers me is he mentioned that they have to do the point system / phone interview / on campus interview per legal issues. Didn't sound like he could hire someone right now if he wanted to. This University hiring system and North Dakota open records law is a bunch of bull$%!#. Shouldn't take over a month to hire a coach.

This MUST be a joke?!?!?

I can't imagine the law requires such a specific procedure for every single state job opening. I'll bet anyone that NDSU does not follow this drawn-out process if they end up doing a national search. Not a chance. Taylor will figure out a way around it. If this really is the law, then using "emergency hire" procedures for hiring a head football coach doesn't seem so far-fetched.

And is it really true that he hasn't even conducted phone interviews with any of these applicants? That is stunning, if true. Could he not review applications as they came in, conduct interviews and be ready to go once the posting requirement was fulfilled? Does state law really prohibit interviews until the posting deadline has expired? I just can't believe that is the case. It would be bizarre.

Can someone find this "points system" requirement in a statute? I just cannot believe that the athletic director of a Division I institution needs a "points system" to narrow down applicants for a head football coach. There are only 70-80 applications total. About 40-50 of them can be tossed after a 10 second review of their resumes. You're telling me that, for his most important hire during his tenure, Faison doesn't have time to go through the applications and figure out who he wants to interview without a points system? Either the AD's office is getting bad legal advice, or this operation is starting to look that it's not ready for prime time.

• Upvote 1

There are certain things that MUST happen if you are hiring staff at the University of North Dakota (regardless of position):

-Jobs must be posted internally (it is a benefit for current employees) for at least a week, but in special circumstances can be posted both internally and externally...the FB HC job was posted internally and externally, which I got a kick out of...what current employee at UND could apply? :)

-The UND HR department screens each application, awarding points to applicants that match the qualifications listed in the job posting

-After the deadline, the applicants that earned the highest points are forwarded to the department. ALL applicants that are forwarded MUST be interviewed.

-If the department would like to interview someone who was not in the initial group forwarded, they are able to, but they must interview any applicant that earned that same amount of points (or higher). So, if applicants 1-10 were forwarded and Faison wanted to interview #12, he would have to also interview #11.

-Applications can be accepted after the deadline until the position is filled (and the hiring paperwork has been filed with UND HR). The screening process still takes place, and If the applicant has enough points to be forwarded, that application will be brought to the hiring department.

Often if departments have a specific person in mind, they design their job posting quite narrowly to ensure "their person" is moved through screening, so sometimes the process is faster, i.e. Brad Berry getting hired so quickly...I am pretty certain he was the only person that met the specific qualifications posted. If another person applies that also meets those requirements, I suppose it's gravy..

NDSU is required to follow similar protocol, but Gene Taylor has said he would pursue requests for an "emergency exception". I don't know who determines what qualifies as an emergency.

I will confess that it has been a couple years since I was part of the hiring process at UND, but I don't believe much has changed.

I do agree that this system isn't ideal for all jobs available at UND like high-level coaches, but I do appreciate the system when it comes to hiring positions in my area...having a process in place to prevent situations of nepotism and favoritism is good. I like fairness. :)

I just wanted to post this because there has been too many accusations and misinformation floating around this site. Faison can only work around this policy so much. If you have problems with the time line, you can thank the great people who created this system, not the AD.

• Upvote 2

There are certain things that MUST happen if you are hiring staff at the University of North Dakota (regardless of position):

-Jobs must be posted internally (it is a benefit for current employees) for at least a week, but in special circumstances can be posted both internally and externally...the FB HC job was posted internally and externally, which I got a kick out of...what current employee at UND could apply? :)

-The UND HR department screens each application, awarding points to applicants that match the qualifications listed in the job posting

-After the deadline, the applicants that earned the highest points are forwarded to the department. ALL applicants that are forwarded MUST be interviewed.

-If the department would like to interview someone who was not in the initial group forwarded, they are able to, but they must interview any applicant that earned that same amount of points (or higher). So, if applicants 1-10 were forwarded and Faison wanted to interview #12, he would have to also interview #11.

-Applications can be accepted after the deadline until the position is filled (and the hiring paperwork has been filed with UND HR). The screening process still takes place, and If the applicant has enough points to be forwarded, that application will be brought to the hiring department.

Often if departments have a specific person in mind, they design their job posting quite narrowly to ensure "their person" is moved through screening, so sometimes the process is faster, i.e. Brad Berry getting hired so quickly...I am pretty certain he was the only person that met the specific qualifications posted. If another person applies that also meets those requirements, I suppose it's gravy..

NDSU is required to follow similar protocol, but Gene Taylor has said he would pursue requests for an "emergency exception". I don't know who determines what qualifies as an emergency.

I will confess that it has been a couple years since I was part of the hiring process at UND, but I don't believe much has changed.

I do agree that this system isn't ideal for all jobs available at UND like high-level coaches, but I do appreciate the system when it comes to hiring positions in my area...having a process in place to prevent situations of nepotism and favoritism is good. I like fairness. :)

I just wanted to post this because there has been too many accusations and misinformation floating around this site. Faison can only work around this policy so much. If you have problems with the time line, you can thank the great people who created this system, not the AD.

I guess I know what topic needs to be voted on as a measure on the next ballot. Legally, Faison could't even start interviewing until today practically.

P.S. Don't use FU players to get the signatures.

• Upvote 1

Not disagreeing about BB as a potential hire but Pflu only decent name in the hat. This fan base needs an answer...before SU names their new HC.

Faison should realize this...I would hope. Again after visiting with my Griz connections in Missoula I am all in for Pflu.

Couldn't agree more

So does SU have to wait until after it wins it's 3rd straight NC to name a new HC?

Took U Dub what...3 days to name Petersen as HC. Are we that backwards in this state that it take weeks to replace a frickin FB coach???

"Points system" aside Faison should have had a top 3 list nailed down 5 minutes after he wiped away the tears after canning Muss.

• Upvote 1

Do you know if all of these requirements are state law or UND policy?

While this is a good process for a lot of positions, it makes zero sense in high profile and specialized positions, such as a head football coach. There needs to be more flexibility when it comes to jobs that are time sensitive and high profile jobs where applicants are going to be reported in the newspaper. Maybe Faison's hands are tied, but I have a very difficult time that Taylor is going to accept such restrictions laying down (if they open the position externally). He's not going to wait until mid January to get a head coach named. It simply won't happen. He'll at least try to get it declared an emergency hire and will do everything in his power to circumvent this asinine process.

I'm not sure why the owners would be buying shots from their own establishment? If that's the case I hear you but gfhockey's post didn't sound that way.

That's not true. She has been licensed since 1989

I didn't think that could be true. Like I said the site I was on was not reputable. I don't know the gal but she sure does have some haters out there. I suppose just like any other publicly held position.

Do you know if all of these requirements are state law or UND policy?

While this is a good process for a lot of positions, it makes zero sense in high profile and specialized positions, such as a head football coach. There needs to be more flexibility when it comes to jobs that are time sensitive and high profile jobs where applicants are going to be reported in the newspaper. Maybe Faison's hands are tied, but I have a very difficult time that Taylor is going to accept such restrictions laying down (if they open the position externally). He's not going to wait until mid January to get a head coach named. It simply won't happen. He'll at least try to get it declared an emergency hire and will do everything in his power to circumvent this asinine process.

I would love to see what happens if Taylor was to circumnavigate the system. You don't think there are people waiting for him and NDSU to throw another middle finger towards the legislature and SBoHE for not following processes/procedures/laws/etc. Steam keeps gaining that it will be one of the cooridnators staying so it is likely a moot point but if not, he isn't going to get around the process.

Sorry to bring up ancient history, but is this the same "points system" that resulted in Steve Weemer, who was the coach of a poor high school program at the time and is now out of coaching altogether, being one of four finalists to replace Rich Glas as basketball coach several years ago?

• Upvote 1

So does SU have to wait until after it wins it's 3rd straight NC to name a new HC?

Took U Dub what...3 days to name Petersen as HC. Are we that backwards in this state that it take weeks to replace a frickin FB coach???

"Points system" aside Faison should have had a top 3 list nailed down 5 minutes after he wiped away the tears after canning Muss.

maybe Faison does have his top 3, but can't get them to apply due to:

1) open records - delay until last minute to avoid media coverage as much as possible (a'la deBoer) or

2) still coaching FCS playoff team or FBS bowl team (16 teams - 8 of each - play by 12/21) or

3) he is being considered or has applied for a different team (Kleiman, Hazelton) or

4) they are not convinced they want to come to GF/UND for personal reasons (Caruso)

Or maybe, he does have the person already picked out but is allowing the process to play out according to HR schedule, not according to siouxsports.com schedule (really don't think this one can be attributed to anything but not being satisfied with the Berry hiring)

I would love to see what happens if Taylor was to circumnavigate the system. You don't think there are people waiting for him and NDSU to throw another middle finger towards the legislature and SBoHE for not following processes/procedures/laws/etc. Steam keeps gaining that it will be one of the cooridnators staying so it is likely a moot point but if not, he isn't going to get around the process.

I'd love to see him try too. I don't know if he'd be successful or not, but I bet he'd try. NDSU can't sit around until mid January to hire a new coach. That just isn't an option.

But it sounds like they will hire internally, making it a moot point.