SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

How secure is Tibesar's job. What if the Bears don't make the playoffs? They just gave away a game to Vikings by choosing to kick a 47 yard field goal on 2nd down in OT. I am sure that coaching decision won't be forgotten if they miss the playoffs by a game.

Timing doesn't look right with the Bears still in contention. If they were already eliminated I would have more hope

Bohl's move to Wyoming lowers my expectations for who the FCS can attract from an FBS school. I think it shows that an O or D Coordinator in the FBS would be making at best a lateral move to coach at an FCS school. If they did well, they could move on to a job like Wyoming HC. They might have better luck getting that type of position by just staying put and doing well in the FBS as a coordinator.

How secure is Tibesar's job. What if the Bears don't make the playoffs? They just gave away a game to Vikings by choosing to kick a 47 yard field goal on 2nd down in OT. I am sure that coaching decision won't be forgotten if they miss the playoffs by a game.

The coaching staff is in their first year and the team is still in contention (even if the entire division is having a down year). They have also had a lot of injuries. It is unlikely that the coaching staff would be in trouble after 1 year unless they totally bombed or lost control of the team.

Well, today is D-Day. Looking forward to who may be putting in their applications and hoping by the end of the week we have a new coach!

I am curious as well; however, I would guess that some interested candidates will not formally apply. They may be candidates worth consideration but if they have talked to Faison and realized that they likely wouldn't get the job, they won't apply so it doesn't look like they were passed over. As has been said, I would think Faison has known who his top 3-4 guys are for a few days. He may already know who is going to get the offer.

Because of how important the timing is due to recruiting, my gut tells me the new coach will be hired by the end of this week.

Hope it's Pflugrad.

Pflugrad would be a great hire, but I have him at number 2 behind Caruso. But I guess I trust Faison, as he's made some really good coaching hires in other sports.

• Upvote 1

Because of how important the timing is due to recruiting, my gut tells me the new coach will be hired by the end of this week.

Hope it's Pflugrad.

I hope your gut is right and that a coach is hired by the end of this week also.

I'd be ready to move on when it's not Pflugrad. Heck, Weber State is passing on him.

But I don't expect you or anyone else to believe me.

Knowing the current applicants, Pflugard is my favorite. It's going to be pretty rare in my opinion that we can steal a Griz coach. I think his transgressions are somewhere between black and white in the world of right and wrong. I have concerns over him, sure, but we aren't Texas sniping Nick Saban exactly, so nature of the beast. I have my doubts about the spread option working in postseasons, but it he builds from the line out it's pretty much a power running game with a much higher chance of turnover, and I know a lot here want smash mouth football. I am also concerned about the defensively. Maybe it's because I haven't seen one in years.

Does anyone know what happened to his assistants at Montana? Were some retained? Do they have other jobs? Like has been said before, a lot of whoever the next guy's success may come just as much from how well he recruits other coaches, as much as recruiting players. Just trying to get a beat on who his possible candidates may be.

My thought is if Faison doesn't make the hire by the end of the week, his choice is still coaching and can't leave his present position or even apply at this time.

If it was an FBS coordinator, I don't think that would be an issue. And there are only 8 FCS teams remaining and I'm not sure if any of those coaches would be it, though maybe there is a coordinator or something?

I hope your gut is right and that a coach is hired by the end of this week also.

I'd be ready to move on when it's not Pflugrad. Heck, Weber State is passing on him.

But I don't expect you or anyone else to believe me.

Although Pflugrad is my favorite of those who've applied, I do realize the odds are against him actually being the one who is hired.

I have faith in Faison; I believe he'll make a quality hire that will be the opposite of Mussman. I think he fired Mussman with the idea he was going to hire someone of the opposite mold. That is, someone with DI and/or NFL experience and has the ability to be a competitive recruiter in the region against NDSU.

I wonder how much Tibesar makes as linebacker coach? He was a little busy last night to send his application. I know just wishful thinking.

I think Tibesar would take a significant pay cut making this move, also guessing once you get a coaching gig in the NFL you want to hold onto it as long as you can. I'm with you though, would love to see him back at UND.