SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

It's still a valid point. Also coaching at a certain level doesn't guarantee quality. There are plenty of hs coaches out there who are better than FBS coaches. There's correlation but not causation.

This is true, but going from just a position coach to planning a game plan for an entire side of the ball is a big jump in and of itself. How can they handle in game adjustments, injuries, etc.....it's a big risk to hire someone who has never done that before above a high-school level....especially when that highschool level was only for 1 season. You take away his name recognition and we wouldn't even be discussing him as a viable candidate. Sometimes you have to take of the green and white blinders and select the best available candidate.

This is true, but going from just a position coach to planning a game plan for an entire side of the ball is a big jump in and of itself. How can they handle in game adjustments, injuries, etc.....it's a big risk to hire someone who has never done that before above a high-school level....especially when that highschool level was only for 1 season. You take away his name recognition and we wouldn't even be discussing him as a viable candidate. Sometimes you have to take of the green and white blinders and select the best available candidate.

Just to clarify my statement wasn't about Bollinger. He's not in my top three, maybe not even in my top five.

Just to clarify my statement wasn't about Bollinger. He's not in my top three, maybe not even in my top five.

I still think we don't know any of the 3 finalists. Hopefully Brian is going to use his FBS ties to bring up someone up here as none of the current applicants really excite me.

Frankly if that's the way it rubs you then wear a coat. I'm not related to Bollinger and if you read my posts I have simply made a case for why he is a viable candidate and if chosen why I think he would do a good job. Don't know if he will apply. I am loyal to UND athletics and want the best coach available. I didn't say his lack of experience isn't a factor I said his age isn't. He will soon be 34 or 35. He was a teammate of my son-in-law's with Cowboys and I haven't spoken with him since. Doubt he could pick me out of a crowd. I'm not emotionally attached. Just don't figure we should miss a chance to interview him cuz he may have stolen someone's prom date 15 or 20 yrs ago. He has an impressive résumé and I find him an intriguing and viable candidate based on what he can bring to the table. Not sure he is best candidate but I haven't seen the list and I'm not on search committee. He has impressed an awful lot of fb people at FBS and nfl levels and they aren't emotionally attached either.

I agree. Not saying that we automatically hire him but if he applies it would be foolish not to interview him. Remember Faison has no prior attachment to him or his family so let Brooks try and sell himself on why he should be the next coach here.

• Upvote 1

Those are guidelines and your preference list is valid. I put a premium on character and leadership. I don't think you need nfl experience but being a qb in the nfl says something for the guy that is a big factor because of the responsibility and requirements to read defenses, call plays and lead. Pflugrad may be best candidate. I'd like sit in on an interview for both of these guys. I also think Caruso can coach at this level.

Totally agree. We're getting a fresh start now and I don't think we want to hire someone with a cloud hanging over his past.

My top 3:

1. Caruso. A proven motivator, winner, and turn-around coach.

2. Bollinger. Not as proven as Caruso, yet, but has the qualities that I think will translate into a Caruso success story going forward.

3. Lennon. He probably won't even apply, but I think he's a high-character guy that always managed to get the most out of his teams and put a winning product on the field.

Totally agree. We're getting a fresh start now and I don't think we want to hire someone with a cloud hanging over his past.

My top 3:

1. Caruso. A proven motivator, winner, and turn-around coach.

2. Bollinger. Not as proven as Caruso, yet, but has the qualities that I think will translate into a Caruso success story going forward.

3. Lennon. He probably won't even apply, but I think he's a high-character guy that always managed to get the most out of his teams and put a winning product on the field.

What about Pflugrad puts his character in question? That whole situation in Montana ended in Pflugrad being scapegoated. I don't see how there would be a disaster of any sort at UND if Pflugrad was hired.

In the end, all these top 3 and top 5 lists are irrelevant I guess. They all consist of local and familiar names, but this is a national search that very well could take Faison to someone we're not familiar with. As long as he's experienced and a leader, I'm sure he'll be a good fit.

Not to burst your bubble but there is a zero percent chance of this one. Not interested and won't apply. And he hasn't exactly torn it up at SIU.

What about Pflugrad puts his character in question? That whole situation in Montana ended in Pflugrad being scapegoated. I don't see how there would be a disaster of any sort at UND if Pflugrad was hired.

Not saying it would be a disaster to hire him, I just think it would be best, especially considering the state of the program and the opportunity to get a totally fresh start, to do it without someone that has any kind of a shadow at all hanging over his head. JMO.

• Upvote 1

In the end, all these top 3 and top 5 lists are irrelevant I guess. They all consist of local and familiar names, but this is a national search that very well could take Faison to someone we're not familiar with. As long as he's experienced and a leader, I'm sure he'll be a good fit.

Reality and perception are unfortunately two different things. I still think the new coach has yet to apply.

Reality and perception are unfortunately two different things. I still think the new coach has yet to apply.

Yup, I have a feeling the final 3 have already been arranged for interviews and are waiting until the last second to officialy get the application in. I also think the final 3 are people we have yet to really discuss on here....that is just wishful thinking on my part though.

I really can't fathom BB applying. The risk far outweighs the reward. Hes too young to be intrigued by the "go home to where it all began" idea. He's doing a good job as QB coach at an FBS school....if he keeps it up, maybe soon an OC at an FBS, then a HC. Why would he go down a level at this age? And, who would he bring with him? His contacts are nfl and big time FBS people; how many of them is he going to convince to move up to Timbuktu ND to take a pay cut, and lets be honest here, take over a team that to the outside world appears to be in disarray?

We need an experienced HC with enough connections to immediately bring in a high quality support staff.

Pflu yeah yeah.......yeah Pflu Pflu!

On another note....Coaches have had buyers remorse before in these situations and if I am the Wyoming AD I would have serious reservations about having Bohl finish out the season in Fargo and around the program for another month....emotions do sometimes come into play vs. money and I don't know that I would want to give my new coaching hire a month to change his mind.

The only reservations I'd have is that he won't be out recruiting. I'm guessing he has signed some paperwork.....he is gone. Breaks my heart...but he is not going to be at NDSU moving forward...no matter how bad we'd pound Wyoming at this point in time.

The only reservations I'd have is that he won't be out recruiting. I'm guessing he has signed some paperwork.....he is gone. Breaks my heart...but he is not going to be at NDSU moving forward...no matter how bad we'd pound Wyoming at this point in time.

He'll be recruiting. Just not for the AC.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. Heck, from what I have read from the fanbase at the University of Agriculture and Applied Science, this years junior class could win the Rose Bowl.

• Upvote 2

Brooks Bollinger will not be applying.

I wonder if it was because he was told he wasn't going to get the job, or if he wasn't interested in it.

My thought all along is that of the people Faison is seriously considering, only the one that ends up getting the job will formally apply.

SiouxFootballInsider @SiouxFootball

Now apparent that NDSU will be in the market for a completely new head coach, no assts taking over. Changes UND's prospects and timeframe.

With this tweet, I have to believe that Klieman was on the very short list as a candidate prior to moving up to the FBS level with Bohl, quite disappointing as he was my # 1 favorite to coach here.

Is the two-week posting requirement state law or a UND policy? I thought it was state law, which would mean NDSU's search will have to proceed along the same timeline. But I believe Taylor was quoted as saying a hire could come at any time. Anyone know if NDSU is subject to the same posting requirement?