SiouxSports.com Forum

Viewing options for Sioux hockey games this season

fightingsiouxfan86

I watched the entire weekend on nchchockey.com. I'd say their webcast is better than most but still not good enough. Picture was good but any camera movement on ice picture would blur/pixelate and the puck was very difficult to follow. Volume was also very low - had to have my tv cranked all the way to 100 with the web feed volume cranked up as well. Screen would freeze up consistently-usually for about ten seconds. Video would start where it stopped and then usually skip forward to the time frame of the video closer to live.

I appreciate the free webcasts and for an avid fan like myself it's great. But that's all I'd expect und to get to watch with a "hockey webcast". Probably even if they matched the quality of NHL.com or nbc's job of the olympics.

The NCHC feed worked a bit better for me than the neulion feed on undsports has. That's not saying much. Neulion has to go, it's so much worse than americaone feeds as well as almost all others.

Both feeds were HD. NCHC servers just worked better than neulions where I'm located.

If you are used to watching other hockey in first generation from fta satellite HD like red, nothing else compares, certainly not web streams, nor cable or any other TV feeds. Web feeds: it's on your end, FTA: it's a dinosaur. (had to beat Blackheart to it)

I watched the entire game tonight on the NCHC site without any problems.

Same here. No problem at all. I thought several times, great picture, no freeze. Of course, I watched on my desktop and

do not bother trying to patch my computer into my television. Full screen desktop was all I needed. Of course, with no friends,

I did not need a big crowd to gather round.

One gets what one pays for. I was lucky to feel like I got a whole lot of something for free last night. Except the victory.

That cost me some finger nails.

If you are used to watching other hockey in first generation from fta satellite HD like red, nothing else compares, certainly not web streams, nor cable or any other TV feeds. Web feeds: it's on your end, FTA: it's a dinosaur. (had to beat Blackheart to it)

Touché.

The NCHC feed worked a bit better for me than the neulion feed on undsports has. That's not saying much. Neulion has to go, it's so much worse than americaone feeds as well as almost all others.

Both feeds were HD. NCHC servers just worked better than neulions where I'm located.

Actually, only one of the feeds was true HD. Both SD (UNDSports.com/NCHChockey.com) and HD (UNDSports.com) feeds were from UNDSports.com. NCHC only embedded the player from UNDSports.com, just like when you see YouTube videos on other websites. I checked out both feeds this weekend, and both of them looked pretty good.

I watched all three games. I had a couple buffering issues a few seconds here or there each night, but nothing major. The feed definitely looked SD to me, not HD. This was a great product for free and I really appreciated being able to watch the games for free. But it confirms my previously held belief that the product is not worth paying for. Until it gets to the point where it is virtually like watching it on TV, I won't be paying for webcasts.

Actually, only one of the feeds was true HD. Both SD (UNDSports.com/NCHChockey.com) and HD (UNDSports.com) feeds were from UNDSports.com. NCHC only embedded the player from UNDSports.com, just like when you see YouTube videos on other websites. I checked out both feeds this weekend, and both of them looked pretty good.

Interesting, i really couldn't tell the difference, but the product streamed better for me on nchc than it did/does on undsports

Until it gets to the point where it is virtually like watching it on TV, I won't be paying for webcasts.

I feel the same way, but with no other options I'll probably still pay. There has to be a way to stream these so it looks HD and streams well. I've watched HD streams through americaone and they both look like HD and stream very well. With neulion, the problems are always on my end.

I had a pretty good experience this year with the UND sports webcasts. I used my laptop hard wired to my router and with HDMI to my TV. I streamed through Firefox and had no issues other than an occasional stutter. Pitcture was crisp with no pixelation.

This past Sunday I started out using Chrome and started getting a blurry feed. I switched back to Firefox and had no issues the rest of the game. I think Neulion was pushing Chrome as the best browser, but I really had no issues with Firefox, and I found the performance to be better in my limited trial.

I was going to use my Chromecast to watch the live NCHC stream. Haven't done this before. How do I tell my PC screen to appear on the TV? Thought I had this working 2-3 months ago.

I figured out what was wrong. Somehow I lost the chromecast icon from the browser.

Thank you.

• 3 months later...

So how did this end up working out for you guys vs FCS now that the season is over?

Is there talk of a NCHC Digital Network like they did during playoffs? Any chance of CBS being more flexible and allowing FCS or ESPN3 in the future, etc?

So how did this end up working out for you guys vs FCS now that the season is over?

Is there talk of a NCHC Digital Network like they did during playoffs? Any chance of CBS being more flexible and allowing FCS or ESPN3 in the future, etc?

FCS and ESPN3 are considered National Network and CBSSN is not going to let them pick up UND's broadcasts.

For most of the fans in ND it was fine. For the fans in Minneapolis/St. Paul and the rest of the country (Denver and Phoenix are probably the next 2 big alumni centers), the lack of FCS coverage was a huge dissapointment.

Edit: Nevermind, lack of availability in Fargo means it didn't even work well for a large percentage of fans in North Dakota.

For most of the fans in ND it was fine. For the fans in Minneapolis/St. Paul and the rest of the country (Denver and Phoenix are probably the next 2 big alumni centers), the lack of FCS coverage was a huge dissapointment.

Edit: Nevermind, lack of availability in Fargo means it didn't even work well for a large percentage of fans in North Dakota.

well you could always shell out for the webcast...:(
  • Upvote 1

I know the league is working on getting the NCHC on TV more. The Commish was just in New York.

If it was reliable...I'd love it.