SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Valpo

GeauxSioux

Bottom line...enough with all the talk around here Muss and his team must produce this year and take some big steps forward. You want to generate interest in UND FB and keep it going thru the season...beat the Jacks, beat the Griz and beat the Cats. Even winning 2 of those 3 would be a big step in the right direction. Going 1-2 or 0-3 isn't going to cut it.

• Upvote 2

Bottom line...enough with all the talk around here Muss and his team must produce this year and take some big steps forward. You want to generate interest in UND FB and keep it going thru the season...beat the Jacks, beat the Griz and beat the Cats. Even winning 2 of those 3 would be a big step in the right direction. Going 1-2 or 0-3 isn't going to cut it.

I feel that if they go 1-2, they are still going to be in decent shape, as EWU would be the only game left I would say would be "tough" to win. Not saying UND would be favored in the rest, but the rest are a lot more manageable. Of course, from a fan support perspective (which you were going for) I tend to agree. Especially 0-3.

I feel that if they go 1-2, they are still going to be in decent shape, as EWU would be the only game left I would say would be "tough" to win. Not saying UND would be favored in the rest, but the rest are a lot more manageable. Of course, from a fan support perspective (which you were going for) I tend to agree. Especially 0-3.

2-1 vs those 3 would put them at 4-1 (probably) heading to the EWU and with hockey in town that weekend as well could be a huge crowd for the EWU game.

Ira, this is what I was referring to. Then the ensuing two pages of hockey talk.

I too wish more hockey fans would spend the fall backing the football team. If they did UND would easily average more than 10,000 fans per game.

When NDSU was playing Valpo as their first "DI" game in the FDome, that whole fan base was celebrating that game as a huge DI game, even though it was one of the bigger jokes of a game since the FDome opened. (Essentially playing a DIII non-scholarship team and then wrapping it up in as a high powered DI game). Funny the contrast between fan bases: bizon fans strictly followed the lines Gene Taylor scripted them (Valpo is a tough football team, DI is a huge deal, blah, blah, blah) while UND fans care about the truth. I prefer the truth, and not for the fan base to embrace all the b.s. that an A.D. like Taylor scoops out of his sheds.

My goal is to go 2-2 in our first four games. I think that is realistic and would put us in a position to have a great rest of season.

That's 1-2 vs the big 3 in Sept. Again IMO that won't cut it.

When NDSU was playing Valpo as their first "DI" game in the FDome, that whole fan base was celebrating that game as a huge DI game, even though it was one of the bigger jokes of a game since the FDome opened. (Essentially playing a DIII non-scholarship team and then wrapping it up in as a high powered DI game). Funny the contrast between fan bases: bizon fans strictly followed the lines Gene Taylor scripted them (Valpo is a tough football team, DI is a huge deal, blah, blah, blah) while UND fans care about the truth. I prefer the truth, and not for the fan base to embrace all the b.s. that an A.D. like Taylor scoops out of his sheds.

Total BS. Nice try.

I think we will be improved overall this year but looking at the roster I expect a bigger jump next season. Having a QB with a year under his belt and it seems the last couple of recruiting classes have been much improved and I think it will show on the field.

I still think if the team plays to it's ability and the defense is improved I could see 3-1 after the first 4 games but I could also see 1-3. After all these are some of the elite teams in the nation North Dakota is playing.

Total BS. Nice try.

My personal favorite spin job by Taylor is when went on and on about how NDSU football has no control over walkons, which NDSU recruits. The Forum and the blind fans just sucked up the answer as truth in the Best Buy case, minimizing football exposure to more felonies. NDSU actually announces walk ons in their press releases for football. Can't be a more brazen liar than Taylor has achieved.

I still think if the team plays to it's ability and the defense is improved I could see 3-1 after the first 4 games but I could also see 1-3. After all these are some of the elite teams in the nation North Dakota is playing.

And I would like to hear someone say that about UND...soon!

I have a poster from that game....back in like '03. A team starting their transition marked it as their first D-I game....I don't know if anyone was claiming Valpo was a tough team or anything at the time but if so, they were wrong.

Total BS. Nice try.

You do know that nobody on this board believes anything you say. Just because you say it's BS doesn't mean that it actually is BS. Try going back to BSville and looking back, you will see that a lot of people believed that it was going to be a close game.

I have a poster from that game....back in like '03. A team starting their transition marked it as their first D-I game....I don't know if anyone was claiming Valpo was a tough team or anything at the time but if so, they were wrong.

The Minot sportswriter at the time actually want as far as saying NDSU polished up a turd as a real DI team, making a mockery of the whole DI move. "A wonderful D1 evening was had by all, with their D1 soda's, in their DI chairs, in a D1 bldg" mocking the media environment in Fargo. Bison fans were livid at the Minot newspaper, demanding a retraction and resignation of the writer. How dare a Minot sportswriter criticize their own D1 orgy which was taking them to international fame?

The Minot sportswriter at the time actually want as far as saying NDSU polished up a turd as a real DI team, making a mockery of the whole DI move. Bison fans were livid at the Minot newspaper, demanding a retraction and resignation of the writer.

Well, I suppose when you are the trailblazer of as far as Division All-Sports, you will be right about some things, and wrong about others. UND fans could gauge these things differently than NDSU fans were able to do at the time.

Well, I suppose when you are the trailblazer of as far as Division All-Sports, you will be right about some things, and wrong about others. UND fans could gauge these things differently than NDSU fans were able to do at the time.

NDSU was a trailblazer with hyping a non-schloarship Valpo game - polished a turd as they often do. Says more about the intelligence of goose stepping Bison fans who so badly wanted to a have a DI program too - Taylor and Co know they are easily manipulated. UND's DII football championship and DI hockey program / REA had totally demoralized the whole Bizon thing into despondency.

• Upvote 2

Come on. He brings up a good point and he got a couple of good responses. Yours wasn't one of the good responses. These forums should not be for a small group of guys drinking the same kool-aid. I am not convinced we have been good enough defensively to predict a 50 point blow-out. Hopefully we are that much better. We certainly didn't do that to Drake. This game should give our team an opportunity to play against someone else and at least see some of our new guys in a game situation. We need to develop and get better each game. We should win this and we should see an improvement from last year. Point spread isn't as important.

Not to go all "transitive property" here but that Drake team beat Valpo 50-0. Drake and San Diego have been occasionally competitive as non-scholarship programs but Valpo has not. They might be the worst program in the FCS. I'll be very worried if this isn't a big blowout.

The truth is hard to swallow for us Sioux fans...The Bison made a choice and its paid off in spades. Two Back to Back National Championships in their first decade in Division IAA - I think there are a lot of football fans in GF that would give their left nut for this type of outcome for UND. As for bitchin about Hockey posters questions on the Sioux football program, I think you guys whining need to take a pill and get some perspective - people love winners and winners put people in the seats, regardless if its football or hockey. No doubt we have one hell of a schedule for football this year and I plan on tailgating the hell out of it and attending the games, but if we come out with a one win scenario in the next 5 games and its the Valpo win we shouldn't be harping on the fans for why they aren't in the seats...my 2 cents. Flame away!

BobIwabuchiFan

Long Live the Sioux

• Upvote 1

I don't fault NDSU for hyping that game as their first D1 game but hyping the opponent as much as they did was maybe ill-advised. I still have friends with posters and what not from that season and EVERYTHING said Valparaiso on it. Hyping the schedule as a whole would have been a better plan as I believe there was a road game against Montana that season. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but that poster looks pretty foolish now that I know how big of a joke Valpo is.

NDSU was a trailblazer with hyping a non-schloarship Valpo game - polished a turd as they often do. Says more about the intelligence of goose stepping Bison fans who so badly wanted to a have a DI program too - Taylor and Co know they are easily manipulated. UND's DII football championship and DI hockey program / REA had totally demoralized the whole Bizon thing into despondency.

Your jealousy is so precious. Your bitching about NDSU hyping their first DI fb game WOW. No one was hyping Valpo, just the game which Valpo happened to be the first. You guys and the Minot alumn sports writer all said NDSU would fail in DI - what happened!!!!

Your jealousy is so precious. Your bitching about NDSU hyping their first DI fb game WOW. No one was hyping Valpo, just the game which Valpo happened to be the first. You guys and the Minot alumn sports writer all said NDSU would fail in DI - what happened!!!!

I know what happened.

Lakes got drunk and threw up.

If memory serves me right the Bison fans were certainly hyping the fact that Valpo was their first D1 game in Fargo and that is understandable. But the running joke that week is they also were trying to sell Valpo as being a really really good team . Nobody was buying it except the Bison faithful. Nobody else was buying it. Their fans just wouldn't be honest about it.