SiouxSports.com Forum

1st round tonight

Fetch

Agree. There's no punishment for the divers - either professional or lower levels.

In the NHL, Brendan Shanahan can and should start reviewing and handing out punishments, starting with fines and leading to suspensions. Its worked remarkably well in cutting down on head shots, or at least getting the riff-Raffi off the ice. Diving should have the same structure, with commensurately lower penalties. This isn't about those questionable things, but the despicable phantom acting.

The same concept could be applied in the NCHC ... and if they modernize their discipline for head shots, dangerous plays, and fighting, then I hope they add embellishment to the list of punishable incidents.

Its taken years to get fighting out of the game, and its nearly gone, but a determined effort has paid dividends. A determined effort is getting head shots out of the NHL. And a determined effort could get rid of embellishment.

Even the NBA has less tolerance for "floppers" these days...sheesh!

You're entitled to your opinion, but keep in mind that somebody who writes for The Hockey News surely has more credibility on such matters than somebody who publishes a blog based on his own self-serving interests. If you choose to keep your eyes closed to the real problem in hockey only to make something out of nothing regarding a non-issue, well that's on you I guess. The way I see it, if a player can successfully draw a penalty... more power to him. The crusade against embellishment just really bores me to death. The only crusades I will get behind are the ones to rid hockey of goon tactics and to mandate the use of a cage or full shield on all helmets. It's about time franchises do something to protect their multi-million dollar investments. Embellishment? Seriously, who cares (besides you and Don Cherry)?

I mistakenly gave u a +1 based on the first half of you post, however the use of full shields is ridiculous....it won't happen nor should it. Regarding embellishment I too agree that not much can be done so those of you who can't control yourselves over the topic must chill out. Lemieux was a legend at drawing calls. I definitely hold players that play responsibly that much more up on the totem pole but again, there's not much you can do. It's not like this just started.

• Upvote 1

Although I prefer the full shield or cage that is mandatory at every level of hockey from the time kids first start playing Mites all the way up to college (you'd think those guys would be used to it by the time they reach the NHL), I will settle for visors at this time just as I settled for helmets 30 years ago. But as time goes on the game will continue to evolve and safety must evolve with it. First we got helmets mandated, visors are coming soon and someday hopefully full facial protection. Sidney Crosby would not have suffered a broken jaw in March had he been wearing a full shield or cage.

Are full body balloons coming next? Or should we just play video games so no one is hurt. Maybe we should only play roller hockey because steel blades are too dangerous. These guys nknow what they're signing up for, as I've told u before full facial shields remove much of your peripheral vision and when combining that with NHL speed there will be way more concussions. I am starting to lean towards grandfathering in visors due to eye damage but the league will stop at that unless the game significantly changes over the next 30 years. FYI the helmet rule has nothing to do with this debate.

You're entitled to your opinion, but keep in mind that somebody who writes for The Hockey News surely has more credibility on such matters than somebody who publishes a blog based on his own self-serving interests. If you choose to keep your eyes closed to the real problem in hockey only to make something out of nothing regarding a non-issue, well that's on you I guess. The way I see it, if a player can successfully draw a penalty... more power to him. The crusade against embellishment just really bores me to death. The only crusades I will get behind are the ones to rid hockey of goon tactics and to mandate the use of a cage or full shield on all helmets. It's about time franchises do something to protect their multi-million dollar investments. Embellishment? Seriously, who cares (besides you and Don Cherry)?

Blah, blah. blah... Dude, I could care less if you are against the "goon" in hockey, your stance against fighting is well noted... The full cage will never take hold in the NHL. Eventually, the full cage will be gone in college hockey as well. It's just a matter of time. al_bundy_gun_to_head.jpg

• Upvote 2

As I've told you before these guys wore a full shield or cage from Mites all the way through college hockey, so don't give me that lame excuse about vision. They're used to it by the time they reach the NHL, so there is no need to take it off once you finally get to that level after so many years of wearing it. The best player in the league just missed the last month of the regular season due to having his jaw broken by a puck to the face. That injury would have been prevented with proper protective gear. I realize the players aren't going to be the ones to take the proactive role as they have to be macho so as not to be labeled soft or whatever, but you'd think the owners would want to do a better job of keeping their multi-million dollar investments off the injured list and on the ice. Leaving these guys vulnerable to gory facial injuries is pure stupidity. As for the steel blades being too dangerous, I realize you were being sarcastic but that issue must be addressed before somebody bleeds to death. I support mandatory kevlar socks and neck guards at all levels of hockey.

How many players in the NHL come from college? 30-40% max? And of those college players how many went right from college to the NHL full time....10%, maybe? Most of the NHL players have worn half (well 2/3) shield since they were 16. Do you have any idea the kind of jump it is from high school to juniors? Or for that matter college to the NHL? It is night and day. They should be wearing 2/3 visors is college....I believe the creativity would actually be better and the game would be more fun to watch.

Looks like the refs really want the Redwings to win this one. At least Referee #24 does. That dude belongs in the WCHA with calls like that.

Waving off a totally legitimate goal so you can call matching minors for roughing for an incident that happened well behind the play was a case of the officials potentially deciding the outcome of a game. If the Red Wings had scored in regulation or in overtime, the outrage over this would have consumed the entire offseason. But all's well that ends well, I guess.

And, in other news, the NY Rangers just fired John Tortorella

Good for the Rangers. All of the whiny, complaining post-game press conferences don't help you win games; all they do is provide unproductive distractions at the worst possible time in the season (the playoffs). Torts has had success in the NHL (see Tampa Bay 2004), but after a certain point in time, his antics and his sandpaper personality wear thin with the players, the fans and the media. He needs to smooth over some of those rough edges and I think he'll have more success.

• Upvote 1

Looks like the refs really want the Redwings to win this one. At least Referee #24 does. That dude belongs in the WCHA with calls like that.

Really? I guess the slew-foot of Valtteri Filppula courtesy of Andrew Shaw went completely un-noticed by you...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-05-29/andrew-shaw-slewfoots-valtteri-filppula-blackhawks-red-wings-game-7-score

Really? I guess the slew-foot of Valtteri Filppula courtesy of Andrew Shaw went completely un-noticed by you...

So there was a missed call that happens. But to make a matching minor call and wave off a goal because you had intention of blowing your whistle....baffling. Still scratching my head to figure out where the penalty on Chicago was.

So there was a missed call that happens. But to make a matching minor call and wave off a goal because you had intention of blowing your whistle....baffling. Still scratching my head to figure out where the penalty on Chicago was.

Scratch your head once more and let me know if you can figure out the penalty shot call in game 6 too. :)

I agree it was a missed call on Filpula and for that matter the penalty shot in game 6. There was a lot missed calls the entire series. I'm sure Toews enjoyed Zetterberg dragging him down the ice as Goon posted on blog. I saw the Redwings do a lot of that all series long to Toews.

• Upvote 1

I agree it was a missed call on Filpula and for that matter the penalty shot in game 6. There was a lot missed calls the entire series. I'm sure Toews enjoyed Zetterberg dragging him down the ice as Goon posted on blog. I saw the Redwings do a lot of that all series long to Toews.

I think that the officiating in this series was absolutely atrocious, almost to the point of being laughable. What the Red Wings were allowed to do to Toews was almost Criminal, I am Boston Bruins fans and I found myself in my living room cussing at my television set, causing my wife to come out and ask me what was wrong with me.

So, I don’t know if I feel all that bad for the Red Wings fans that are upset today. I know my buddy Mafia Man and Redwing77 are hurting today, but the Red Wings hacked, slashed and hammered Toews and then when the Blackhawks wanted to collect on the bill the Red Wings wouldn’t drop the mitts.

I think the officiating crew in this series needs to be fired from the league. They’re not worthy of officiating games in the WCHA. Unfortunately, Stephen Walkom will be officiating games in the next round of the SCP.

• Upvote 1

I'm a hawks fan but will admit that was a bad call as well

I have to admit that I was out golfing last night and watch the last 10 minutes and the O.T. in Parrots Kay and it was a good game for what I can see...