SiouxSports.com Forum

1st round tonight

Fetch

I am a hockey fan and get both sides of this issue and can still remember helmet-less Craig MacTavish skating around in the 1980's and 1990's. Remember the uproar of players and mandatory helmets back then? Even just 5-7 years ago, you were considered a sissy if you wore a half-shield. Then Alexander Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby join the league and now plenty of players wear the half-shield.

I played competitive softball for years and remember pitchers experimenting with the hockey-type catcher helmet when they played. They were laughed at and guys intentionally tried to 'spin the dummy'. Go out and watch a competitive tournament nowadays and it's a rarity to NOT see a pitcher wearing the protective helmet.

It's all fun and games until the next Bill Masterson happens courtesy of a 100 MPH slap-shot that hits someone in the head. Just ask Ron Harris, he'll tell you.

In a softball tournament I was playing in a few years back the pitcher our team was playing had the hockey helmet going. Of course he got crap all game long, but nothing really over the top. After the game I got to talking to him, and he was actually required by his doctor to wear the helmet after the full facial reconstruction surgery that he had undergone from taking a line drive off the melon the year before.

Its sad too that there are still guys out there that intentionally try and hit the pitcher every time they come up. I haven't heard of an individual dying on the softball field because of this, but it will happen.

In a softball tournament I was playing in a few years back the pitcher our team was playing had the hockey helmet going. Of course he got crap all game long, but nothing really over the top. After the game I got to talking to him, and he was actually required by his doctor to wear the helmet after the full facial reconstruction surgery that he had undergone from taking a line drive off the melon the year before.

Its sad too that there are still guys out there that intentionally try and hit the pitcher every time they come up. I haven't heard of an individual dying on the softball field because of this, but it will happen.

I haven't played softball since 1992 so I have never seen anyone wear a cage on the hill. But, I can see why it might be good.

You're just a hothead who advocates vigilantism. You have no credibility whatsoever.

This comes from a fan that thinks Matt Cooke and Ulfie are great players ... So you can throw credibility around all you want.

• Upvote 2

You're just a hothead who advocates vigilantism. You have no credibility whatsoever. Maybe if I met you in person you might be tolerable, but based solely on your online persona you're a joke. That is all. I will enjoy watching the Penguins destroy the Bruins first and foremost because I'm a longtime Pens fan, but because of you and all of your psychotic rants over the years I will enjoy it so much more. Yes, I will take pleasure in your misery because you've been such a jerk to me repeatedly over the years. Karma is coming for you, Goon, and it's coming in the form of your beloved cheap-shotting Bruins having their season ended by Matt Cooke's Penguins.

For someone who bitches about personal attacks all the time, you sure do a lot of it. I have to say I've really enjoyed your time away from this message board. It's was the one and only nice thing about us losing the Sioux nickname.

• Upvote 3

Both are fan favorites in Pittsburgh for their smashmouth brand of hockey. Ulfie was affectionately referred to as "Jack Lambert on skates" by the Pens faithful. T

Both players are such great citizens (P.O.S.) especially that Ulfie Samuelsson who was voted one of the dirtiest players in the NHL by the readers on ESPN.

Eventually Karma hit Samuelsson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao1cMIGBf4s

Edited by Goon

I am trying to find a link to the story but 3-5 years ago a pitcher in a game died of a heart attack on the field after taking a comebacker right off the chest. Not a head shot, but still...

No I do not understand that you play better without a full mask. I have been watching the college game since just before the full facial protection was mandated over 30 years ago and I have not seen a decline in the level of play.

That is because the equipment the players use is better....you can't understand this? That was honestly your counter? You need to try harder buddy. Sit down and come up with something better than that absolutely ridiculous statement. If the Sioux team (2013 team) took off their facemasks you would see a higher level of play on average. Ask any real player that actually played at a competitive level. But you can't understand that because you really don't know much about hockey. You just think you do because you've watched the Sioux play for the past 40 years. Sorry to be a dick but all your arguments make no sense.

I am a hockey fan and get both sides of this issue and can still remember helmet-less Craig MacTavish skating around in the 1980's and 1990's. Remember the uproar of players and mandatory helmets back then? Even just 5-7 years ago, you were considered a sissy if you wore a half-shield. Then Alexander Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby join the league and now plenty of players wear the half-shield.

I played competitive softball for years and remember pitchers experimenting with the hockey-type catcher helmet when they played. They were laughed at and guys intentionally tried to 'spin the dummy'. Go out and watch a competitive tournament nowadays and it's a rarity to NOT see a pitcher wearing the protective helmet.

It's all fun and games until the next Bill Masterson happens courtesy of a 100 MPH slap-shot that hits someone in the head. Just ask Ron Harris, he'll tell you.

FYI not wearing a helmet and not covering your jaw are two completely different topics.

Holy !@#$, you just called Cam Neeley a cheap shot artist! You sir, are a buffoon. You have close to 0 hockey comprehension.

That's the same conclusion that I came a long time ago, arguing with DaveK is like arguing with my five year old, only she's more reasonable.

My arguments make perfect sense if you have good enough comprehension skills. I get that technically an argument can be made for players having slightly better vision without a cage, but then again you could go one better and say their vision would improve even more without a helmet. But playing without a helmet is stupid, as is playing without a cage. The level of play that we currently see in college hockey is incredible, and all of those players have full facial protection, so therefore I have a hard time taking your argument seriously. And once again I'm going to say this because I can't help you notice you have yet to address this point... each and every hockey player that reaches a level where full facial protection becomes optional has already gotten used to the cage or full shield by having worn one for at least 10 years. Once they're that used to it there is no need whatsoever to take it off. At the end of the day you have to realize that it's really just a macho thing more than anything else.

Again, as I have mentioned 10 times now, I fully understand the helmet argument. I get it. I also believe you that some old times may say it distracts them to wear a helmet, however a significant head blow is so much worse then taking a shot to the lower part of your face.

As to your response that I haven't addressed wearing the full cage for a long period of time.....I have ten times or so. The speed of the NHL ( and chl and college) is such the even impairing your vision slightly can cause damaging effects when someone the size and speed of Milan Lucic comes crashing in on you. These players need to react instantly. Even at the college level (which is SO much slower than the NHL) I believe this would cut down on many of the injuries (check out genoways stance). Full cages impair a decent amount of peripheral vision and impair the vision 90% straight down; itechs are better but still affect your vision straight down and tend to fog up in warmer arenas. If they would create something that took care of those issues I would listen. Again, I'm concerned about the puck carrier.

On a side note, I play in a very competitive men's league with former D1 and junior players.....are you saying the reason I play with a half shield is to be macho? Are you kidding me? I wear the half shield because the game is easier and I can see more of the ice not wearing a full mask. I am not telling you my guess or what I think....I am telling you fact.

Again, as I have mentioned 10 times now, I fully understand the helmet argument. I get it. I also believe you that some old times may say it distracts them to wear a helmet, however a significant head blow is so much worse then taking a shot to the lower part of your face.

As to your response that I haven't addressed wearing the full cage for a long period of time.....I have ten times or so. The speed of the NHL ( and chl and college) is such the even impairing your vision slightly can cause damaging effects when someone the size and speed of Milan Lucic comes crashing in on you. These players need to react instantly. Even at the college level (which is SO much slower than the NHL) I believe this would cut down on many of the injuries (check out genoways stance). Full cages impair a decent amount of peripheral vision and impair the vision 90% straight down; itechs are better but still affect your vision straight down and tend to fog up in warmer arenas. If they would create something that took care of those issues I would listen. Again, I'm concerned about the puck carrier.

There are actually people that have said that the cage probably causes concussions and makes the game dirtier because the sticks tend come up when the player wear them, I hate them myself. Former Fighting Sioux Perry Berezan once said that.

There are actually people that have said that the cage probably causes concussions and makes the game dirtier because the sticks tend come up when the player wear them, I hate them myself. Former Fighting Sioux Perry Berezan once said that.

I fully agree with that stance, you inherently tend to stay away from someone's face more often out of mutual respect. Another reason I like fighting to be allowed (although I hate most staged fights). You don't have guys like rau constantly beaking everyone out on the ice. You have to respect the game and your opponent. You u talk trash you better be ready to back it up. That is why I like guys like Cory Perry. The game polices itself.

• Upvote 1

I don't have to endure the peer pressure that the players are subjected to. As a already told you, it is a macho thing and nobody wants to be labeled as soft. It is the very same mentality that used to apply to visors and (if you go back far enough) helmets. Look, I can lead you to water but I can't force you to drink it. If you refuse to see things for what they are, there is nothing more I can do to help open your eyes to what is so blatantly obvious to anybody with an open mind.

Ditto....however the macho thing is your own creation.

I fully agree with that stance, you inherently tend to stay away from someone's face more often out of mutual respect. Another reason I like fighting to be allowed (although I hate most staged fights). You don't have guys like rau constantly beaking everyone out on the ice. You have to respect the game and your opponent. You u talk trash you better be ready to back it up. That is why I like guys like Cory Perry. The game polices itself.

Yep, that's true. If Rau had to answer for his mouth on the ice, he wouldn't run it as much.

FYI not wearing a helmet and not covering your jaw are two completely different topics.

Hey, thanks for the 4-1-1! My point is that at one time, even wearing a helmet made you a sissy. Then it was a half-shield. Full cage or shield next? That was my point.

• Upvote 1

I also played, and the minute I could go half shield, I did...and as described, not for any kind of machismo...because I could see better. I have never put the full mask back on. Not in intramurals, not in men's league...I have a couple scars from some sticks, but nothing that is disfiguring (I wasn't going to be a model anyway). I make a very good living with my brain, so there wasn't any cognitive damage.

As for playing with the full shield your whole life...yes, you do team practice and games in a full mask, but we spent way more hours on the outdoor in nothing but a stocking cap. Again, nothing life threatening. I certainly got a bloody nose and a black eye or two.

Here's my analogy- its like having sex with your wife of ten years with a condom even though you're fixed...why???

Hey, thanks for the 4-1-1! My point is that at one time, even wearing a helmet made you a sissy. Then it was a half-shield. Full cage or shield next? That was my point.

Yeah....I got that that :). What I'm trying to say is that the mandate for a helmet (brain) and potentially visor (eyes) are so much more serious than facial and jaw wounds.

I also played, and the minute I could go half shield, I did...and as described, not for any kind of machismo...because I could see better. I have never put the full mask back on. Not in intramurals, not in men's league...I have a couple scars from some sticks, but nothing that is disfiguring (I wasn't going to be a model anyway). I make a very good living with my brain, so there wasn't any cognitive damage.

As for playing with the full shield your whole life...yes, you do team practice and games in a full mask, but we spent way more hours on the outdoor in nothing but a stocking cap. Again, nothing life threatening. I certainly got a bloody nose and a black eye or two.

Here's my analogy- its like having sex with your wife of ten years with a condom even though you're fixed...why???

Agreed.